Illinois Chapter Join Chapter Leader: wpnaes

S/D Front wheel bearrings

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 11:50 AM
daddubo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S/D Front wheel bearrings

Hi every one I was wondering if any one has tryed to grease the front wheel bearrings on a S/D? I tryed to get the spanner nut off but no luck any ideas?

Also does any one know if pre-99 S/D front steering nuckles and axels from a F 250-350 will inter change so I can go back to the old style hubs and bearrings?

Thanks Frank

Old 10-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Fastronald
Elder User
Information

If no one answers right away..contact Fairmontman79@yahoo.com , He's the chapter's tech coordinator. Fastronald

Old 10-12-2004, 11:05 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Super Duty unit bearing assembly is a non serviceable unit.

I'm not sure if any of the earlier stuff would work....if it did I'm sure lots of people would have done it by now.

I ditched the unit bearing setup and have inner and outer wheel bearings that I can repack with grease on my '01 F-350 since I went to the Dynatrac SD Combo that works on 6-12" lifts.

I know Dynatrac is working on a kit that will work on stock trucks that will include new wheel hubs, inner and outer bearings, races, seals, fixed spindles, spanner nuts, 35 spline outer shafts, and Warn premium locking hubs. I just called yesterday since we have a customer interested in this new kit and it should be released very soon.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-13-2004, 09:48 AM
daddubo
Freshman User
Thanks I have seen them advertised but was looking for something I don't have to spend a couple of grand on. Do you know how long the stock ones will last I don't have a lift but I do snow plow.

Old 10-13-2004, 12:05 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
The amount of miles you get out the unit bearings vary.....I've seen people who have had them go before 20,000 miles stock and others that get over four times that amount of mileage out of them. I pulled mine off with 28,000 miles on them with 35s on since it had 2000 miles and I didn't have any play in them and they weren't making any noise yet.

The new Dynatrac setup is less than a couple grand. For what the dealer charges on the unit bearing assembly you'd break even if you would have burned out 3 of the unit bearings.....but you also have the upgraded 35 spline outers and Warn premiums with the new kit as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-13-2004, 12:36 PM
daddubo
Freshman User
Thanks I will investagate them maybe the price has gone down since they first came out I've heard that the stock ones are about $400 ea.
Did the conversion take the wonder out of the steering that the S/D's are known for.

Old 10-13-2004, 05:28 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
My truck never had any wander.....and still doesn't with the new setup.

But, the new Dynatrac setup that would work on your truck wouldn't change any of the steering components.

The price on the Super Duty Combo that includes new knuckles, drag link, trac bar, tie rod, etc... hasn't gone down....it's still $2995 + $198 if you have ABS.
I don't think that the new kit I'm referring to is even on their website yet since it hasn't been released yet. I just know about it since we're able to start taking orders for them already.

Old 10-14-2004, 02:08 PM
daddubo
Freshman User
Thanks again

Old 10-22-2004, 06:43 PM
bogginf350
Senior User
You can remove the caliper, roter and abs plug with the small allen head screw that holds it to the unit bearing and pump grease into the bearing from there. Just remove your grease zerk end from your grease gun and the 1/8 inch Npt threads fit tight enough to pump grease into the bearings. I would not recomend over doing it. And make sure to use a very high quality grease syn. pref.

Old 10-22-2004, 11:26 PM
daddubo
Freshman User
I don't havr front ABS will this still hold true?

Old 10-23-2004, 08:30 AM
bogginf350
Senior User
I am not sure if they have the provision or not, I doubt it honestly..