2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Nav-Sirius-Exaust-LineX

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 11:31 AM
viewseeker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Nav-Sirius-Exaust-LineX

Check it out all. Got the Kenwood DDX7015 touch screen head unit and DV4100 Navigation unit put a couple weeks ago. Very cool. The Sirius Sat unit I got integrated with DDX7015 worked okay but proved to be a hassle since I could not see the Song/Artist info at the same time as the Navigation system. So I decided to get a seperate Sirius unit and have it installed off to the side of the console. Now I can view both at the same time. Much better. I also have a connection for my MP3 player. Plus the DVD works great. I did not disconnect the parking break sensor to watch movies while moving since I've almost killed myself 4 or 5 times fiddling with the damn thing. Figured if I tried to watch a DVD while driving I would actually die. Car Toys did all the install work. Thanks to one of you guys who had some similar work done and posted it on the site for the idea.

Also had a Flowmaster 40 Cat-back dual exauset system put in. Sounds very badass. Plus the Line-X bedliner.

I've got the bug deflector at the paint shop now to match the color of the truck. Will post when I get it put on. Lift and wheels are next.

And yes. It cost a truckload full of money (pun intended).

Check out my gallery for a few pics.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:33 PM
SierraClubS
Senior User
nice set up!! how do the flowies sound? are they really loud?? i am looking for some duals but not sure what i want... how many inch tips and pipes?

Old 10-13-2004, 10:04 AM
chuckc983
New User
Where is the nav unit installed and where do you insert the cd's and dvd's?

Old 10-13-2004, 10:40 AM
viewseeker
New User
Thanks Sierra. Flowmaster 40 is not as loud as I thought it would be. Sounds very good though. The more I hear it the more I like it. Though when I take my foot off the gas it gets somewhat quiet. Not quite what I expected but still very cool. Three inch tips and I think the pipes are 2.75. I recommend the flowmasters for sure but I'd talk to the guy at the shop about loudness. The guys who did mine, this was his first 2004 F-150 he'd done. Did a first class job.

As for the Nav system chuckc, they mounted the DVD unit under the passenger seat facing to the rear (it's a seperate DVD unit from the player in the head unit). They had to close off the vent under there so hot air does not blow over the unit. The GPS antenna is on the dash right up against the windshield. I've yet to change the DVD to the eastern disk. The western disk covers all the way out to Ohio and most of my travels are between Denver and Los Angeles anyway. Always with a stop in Las Vegas, of course.

To insert CD's/DVD's the head unit face slides down to reveal the slot for the disks. The same sliding mech is used to adjust the angle to reduce glare.

Old 10-13-2004, 11:12 AM
kmurphy3251
Freshman User
Nice install. Did you have a local shop do the work for you, or did you do it yourself???

Old 10-13-2004, 12:10 PM
ITDave
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice Unit

So this is a kenwood stereo/dvd with gps plugged in or what?

What was the cost of that system?

What was the cost of installation?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 10-13-2004, 05:19 PM
viewseeker
New User
Kenwood DDX7015 touch screen head unit and Kenwood DV4100 Navigation unit. Seperate units but fully compatible with each other. The Nav system includes the GPS receiver and its own DVD reader that holds the mapping and point-of-interest data. Equipment and install was done by Car Toys. Could have saved a few hundred by going to ebay or something for the equipment, but I didn't. Total was about 4 grand. Install was around $400 I think. That includes going back to buy the seprate Sirius Sat unit and having it installed. It also inlcudes the Car Toys full 4 year warranty for all the pieces. In fact they replaced the head unit no questions asked when I had a problem with the slide mech on the second day of owning it. All the work done was first class.

I know, thats a lot of money. Too much maybe. But it was worth it to me and it's got the coolest system on the block.

"Its better to look good than to feel good"
-Billy Crystal (Playing Fernando Lamas on Saturday Night Live)

Old 10-14-2004, 11:40 PM
ITDave
Elder User
Look at this

Not that I can afford this unit anyway, although I now crave it badly, if I did want to replace my head unit with this one, check out what I read on the crutchfield site:

Installation Details for your 2004 F-150

» If the vehicle has factory Video Entertainment it will be lost if factory radio is replaced.
» You'll get free lifetime tech support for as long as you own your gear!

I guess they have something built in to the Ford Entertainment System to where you cannot use it with the head unit???

If that is really the case, that sucks! You would think you can just hook it up to the new stereo.... Also, if this thing is SAT ready, why did you have to have an extra tuner for that?

Thanks again for sharing,

Dave

Old 10-15-2004, 05:21 PM
viewseeker
New User
ITDave. I think the video system issue has to do with the DVD unit you can buy for the rail system. The Aux button on the stock radio will only work with this DVD system.

My Kenwood system has alternate input/output for a extra video screen, which I would have to mount. Maybe beind the center consol facing the rear seats.

As for the extra Sirius unit there were several reasons. First I wanted to be able to see the the Sirius song information at the same time as the map dispalys on the nav system. With the Kenwood Sirius reciever I would have to switch between the two displays. Also the Audiovox Sirius unit has much better features thatn the Kenwood one. The memo function where it will let you kknow if a previous selected song is playing on any channel. Also the Audivox unit would store what was playing on all the channels while the power was on. The Kenwood has to load the song info every time you change the channel.

Old 10-16-2004, 11:35 AM
ITDave
Elder User
I see... Interesting

I have the stiock DVD Entertainment System. So, wonder how I could make it all work together.

BTW I found that head unit for around 1000, wonder what the other parts cost.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 10-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Imback123
Junior User
ITDave....Is your sub still working? (Let me start by asking did your truck have the factory sub)CarToys told me I would also have to by an amp to power my sub. Is that true. If not, how does the bass sound.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:21 PM
ITDave
Elder User
Originally Posted by Imback123
ITDave....Is your sub still working? (Let me start by asking did your truck have the factory sub)CarToys told me I would also have to by an amp to power my sub. Is that true. If not, how does the bass sound.
Hello,

I am sorry if I made someone think that I got a sub. I was asking about the 6CD Changer and whether it was different than the one that came with the Audiophile. (Hardware wise). I was also asking where I could get a stock audiophile sub and what else there was to the system.

Wish I had audiophile....

Thanks,

Dave

Old 10-20-2004, 09:23 PM
ITDave
Elder User
Oh, above I was asking about the head unit that this other guy installed..

Originally Posted by Imback123
Oh, above I was asking about the head unit that this other guy installed..

Old 10-21-2004, 01:24 AM
Jokald
New User
ITDave,

That is not true. I put in the DDX7015 in my truck with the audiophile sub and got it to work. It is trying to figure out what wires run it that is a little tough. I am proof that it can be done and I wired the whole thing myself.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:52 PM
scbond3
New User
Question

Originally Posted by Jokald
ITDave,

That is not true. I put in the DDX7015 in my truck with the audiophile sub and got it to work. It is trying to figure out what wires run it that is a little tough. I am proof that it can be done and I wired the whole thing myself.
I am assuming that you had the Audiophile 6 In Dash CD player. Does the DDX7015 still use all the speakers(2 component) the way Audiophile uses them(ie. ambience, all seats or drivers seat options). I am looking to upgrade the Head Unit becaues of MP3 capability and satellite, but I love the way the Audiophile sounds with the stock subwoofer and speakers. I don't want to degrade the sound by switching the head unit out.

Thanks