Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Brand loyalty

Old 10-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand loyalty

I have thought deeply on this subject. I came up with it makes no logical sense.
If a manufacturer releases a vehicle that is a known lemon. Will you go plunk down your cash knowing you have a 50 50 chance of getting a bad one. Will you still buy it because it has your favorite emblem on the front.

The vehicle market, like the snowmachine and 4 wheeler market, is very dynamic. Manufacturer A makes a better bike than manufacturer B for one year. The following year manufacturer B's bike outperforms manufacturer A's bike in every catagory including quality. Do you stick with A because it has your favorite decal?

Quality. Its an interesting idea. American auto manufacturers are improving drastically to keep up with foreign competition. In fact. We are up to japans quality............. at least, their quality back in 1984. So they are 20 years ahead of us as we speak. Im not loyal to any manufacturer. Only to my bank statement. I buy it if it makes economic sense. Reliability and quality are the two single most important factors. Although resale comes into play with my high mileage.

There are companies that their sole existance is to rate the quality of products. Its an interesting read. I crossreferenced the highest quality with the best fuel mileage and came up with toyota corolla is the best buy on the market. Year after year. I think im gonna buy one. Not out of loyalty. But based on a logical decision.

Old 10-11-2004, 03:54 PM
AxisAllies
Junior User
I am like minded as far as not choosing a brand simply because of it being a favorite. I wont be buying a Toyota of any kind simply because I dont need another car period. And if I did there would be many other contenders for me.
Quality may not mean the same thing for one person that it does for another.
For some people it comes down to who makes the best operating power slinding rear window. For others its about HP. Or most thought out interior.

I'm an objective person, and I can see from observation that Ford definately has the best HD truck product right now - kudos to Ford. IMO anyway.

Old 10-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
It is a known fact that brand recognition drives many people's decision to buy a product.

It is typically the single-most important factor when someone is looking at a new product.

Brand loyalty is a strange thing. Even I cannot understand it in myself. I have owned a number of Dodge mini-vans But when looking for a new one, there are far better choices based on reliability and features but I find myself always leaning towards the Dodges. Not always logical but more based, I think, out of comfort.

I do know, that manufacturers know the importance of brand recognition and loyalty. It starts young (my first bike was a Kawasaki and I've followed the company for almost 20 years now and subsequently owned many after that. EVEN ,the ones that came in last in comparison tests. Go figure.) and if the company creates products that meet the minimum standards of a majority of its core consumers, most people will stay due to brand loyalty.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:42 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
This is interesting...

I consider myself to be a loyal Ford fan, despite owning a few non-Ford cars.
Where my vehicle has a direct impact on my financials (i.e. my work truck) it comes down to ability/running costs/and expected reliability.
I chose my F-350 over a Toyota Landcruiser, simply because of its capacity, knowing full well that the F-350 is not going to be anywhere near as reliable, but capacity and power were important to me, and fortunately the vehicle is yet to let me down.

When it comes to my personal transport, I am very loyal to Ford.
I am proud of the vehicle I own, and while I accept that a Toyota Corolla is a very reliable car (prehaps the most reliable?) I could not own a "fridge on wheels" but that is purely my preference.
A car to me is more than just transport,
It has to look good, sound impressive, go like stink, be enjoyable to drive, and I couldn't giva damn - to a certain extent - about reliabilty, fuel consumption etc.

Driving and building cars is a passion of mine, and I am prepared to for-go some of the desirable aspects of a car, admitedly at my own peril.

Old 10-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigF350
It has to look good, sound impressive, go like stink, be enjoyable to drive, and I couldn't giva damn - to a certain extent - about reliabilty, fuel consumption etc.
Im too much of a pragmatist. I dont care how it looks or performs. I would drive a fridge if it got 50 mpg and was totally reliable. It could sound like a bee in a tin can for all I care. As long as it got me where I was going every day.
I have only one problem. I drive a truck and a very small car. Almost every day I will drive both. People do not respect your personal space in a small car in any way. They try to run me over. Pull out in front of me. Tailgate me. Pass me on double yellows because I mind the speed limit. They do not do that in my truck. I have had to talk to a few drivers about their driving habits and endangering my wellbeing. I do not take kindly to others disregarding my saftey.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:33 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People are very loyal to Ford trucks. Ford has the highest loyalty to trucks of the big 3. Thats all I will ever have. My family has been pretty much Ford for like 50 yers plus. I just cant think of any Ford vehicle that has ever let us down. Ive had several Ford trucks and they have been outstanding. Big reason Im loyal.Look at Ford truck sales this year. The best ever in the 56 year history of the F-series. Do people love Ford trucks you bet they do.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:31 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Im too much of a pragmatist. I dont care how it looks or performs. I would drive a fridge if it got 50 mpg and was totally reliable. It could sound like a bee in a tin can for all I care.
Isn’t it great that we can make our own decisions; I would never drive a car/truck that I am making the payments on unless I like it completely…

Old 10-12-2004, 10:54 AM
jeb
Elder User
Good thread. I'm not brand loyal per se. If I've always had good luck or bad luck with a certain brand, it does of course color my decision. But I always try to look at what's out there in a logical way. All these companies are really only after one thing, your money. So make sure you spend it wisely.

BTW, we have a 95 Corolla. We gave it to my son last summer for a college car. Still going strong with 139k on it. We've had to replace the alternator, a power steering hose and rebuild the clutch MC in the 95k miles we've owned it. Very reliable car.

Last edited by jeb; 10-12-2004 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:04 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
My brand loyalty starts at the United States border

Old 10-12-2004, 12:18 PM
hawk
Posting Guru
if the manufacturer ends in a vowel or a n chances are i aint buying it!

Old 10-12-2004, 12:19 PM
camo4stealth
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DMAX, there are not may of us left. I will admit to owning a toyota and a vw in the past. I am brand loyal to Ford. I have yet to have a bad one, but I drive them easy, and take the best care of them I possibly can. I do get more than most people at sale time because of that. I won't buy jap again. It's an American worker producing American products thing. Chrysler? Had two, never again, both were complete turds. GM? I've had a couple, including a new '98 pickup, but I prefer the FORD product, and given a comparable rig, will stick with FORD.

Old 10-12-2004, 12:26 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by camo4stealth
DMAX, there are not may of us left. I will admit to owning a toyota and a vw in the past. I am brand loyal to Ford. I have yet to have a bad one, but I drive them easy, and take the best care of them I possibly can. I do get more than most people at sale time because of that. I won't buy jap again. It's an American worker producing American products thing. Chrysler? Had two, never again, both were complete turds. GM? I've had a couple, including a new '98 pickup, but I prefer the FORD product, and given a comparable rig, will stick with FORD.
Granted, I've had better luck with some domestics auto manufactures then others. Also I'm sure there are some lines of cars and trucks that are made and produced better over seas - but you'd never see 1 in my driveway.

Old 10-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 150ford
Ford has the highest loyalty to trucks of the big 3..
Did you know that chevy has the highest quality of the big three?

There are some cars that are necessary. A subaru is a great car for the wife if you live in a northern state. Nothing american can compete.

It is a capatalist society. My loyalty stops at my bank account. I dont care who builds it. I want the best bang for the buck. I can honestly say I have never bought an american stereo. Amplifiers yes but not a head unit. I do not believe it makes me unpatriotic. I support my president 100%. I pay my taxes and do my civic duty. But I want a good deal. Now thats american.

Old 10-12-2004, 01:29 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No Ford has the highest quality. What are you going buy. I really believe Ford has the highest quality trucks ion the road today. Just ask any former GM owner. GM has some serious qualiy issues with there trucks. Some very serious ones.Piston slap for one. To me thats serious and they stilll have it. GM has cheap components in there trucks anymore.

Old 10-12-2004, 01:38 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
[QUOTE=Logical Heritic]Did you know that chevy has the highest quality of the big three?

There are some cars that are necessary. A subaru is a great car for the wife if you live in a northern state. Nothing american can compete.

[QUOTE]

Says who?

I also have a hard time swallowing that domestics are only on par with 1984 toyotas. If any thing, I'd say that the playing field is close to level, or a slight tilt in one way.

Granted, I will admit that domestics have cranked out some junk, but imports have also cranked out a whole pile as well, it's all a matter of perception and marketing.

I don't necessarily follow the import = quality crowd.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brand loyalty