Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2004 Sport Trac - looking for trailer size suggs for 1000# race car

Old 10-11-2004, 12:02 PM
JakeL
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Sport Trac - looking for trailer size suggs for 1000# race car

Hey all -

Within the next 2-3 months I'm going to be finishing with my race car project, and will be using my '04 Sport Trac to haul it around. I haven't yet bought a trailer for the car, and thought I'd get some advice from you folks before doing so.

At this point, I'm shooting for an enclosed trailer, and my goal is to go as large as I can, but keeping in mind the 'Trac's relatively limited capabilities.

Our plan is to sell the 'Trac in favor of a diesel 3/4 ton of some flavor in around 6 months to a year.

The race car to be towed weighs about 1000# (slightly under), and I'll be travelling with a fair amount of gear. The car is around 5' wide, and about 13' long, so I'd need at least a 14' trailer.

So, from doing some e-bay hunting, I've seen that common sizes are:

- 16' open trailer, dovetailed (for a baseline)
- 14x7' enclosed
- 14x8' enclosed
- 16x7' ""
- 16x8' ""

and on up. 7' wide would be sufficient, and might help keep frontal-area down when towing on the highway - is that correct?

Weight for the various enclosed trailers seems to be in the 2000-2,500# range, meaning that with the car, I'd be around 3-3,500#, which is still well within the 5,000# max in the owner's manual.

I live in Colorado, so we're suffering for horsepower, and I'd have to negotiate the Rockies from time to time, so some breathing room on the spec is desired.

So, any advice from you folks based on what I've mentioned? I'd like to have a larger trailer, for more room, if possible, but I would *much* rather have an easy, enjoyable towing experience, that wasn't stressing the truck overtly, if it meant having a smaller trailer.

Any advice on the rest of the car, such as transmission coolers, other double-checks, things of that ilk? All of these trailers will have their own brakes, and I'll have a hitch/brake box installed since I'm a plebe at towing related stuff...

Thanks for any advice/help/etc,

-Jake

Old 10-11-2004, 12:39 PM
JakeL
New User
And, if you have any advice on trailer features, sizes, or brands, those would certainly be welcome as well.

Cheers,

-J

Old 10-11-2004, 04:55 PM
JerrySimm
Elder User
I'd look at a 16' long, 6½' wide floor, tandem axle trailer. I don't know that much about the sport tracs, is the trailer towing option available on them and does yours have it. I have it on my '92 and my '03 Explorers, both 4.0L V6's, and I've pulled an open bed 16 X 6½ many times with great success. I definitely agree that you should have electric brakes on the trailer and pull vehicle. I would also suggest an equalizer hitch with an anti-sway brake to help stabilize with the shorter wheel base. I'd fix the truck up for pulling, and ask any potential sellars to let me pull the trailer on a trial run to see how the rig handles. I realize that the trailer would be empty for the trial run, but it may give a general feel for the handling.

Old 10-11-2004, 06:35 PM
grtF250
Senior User
If your looking at new I've pulled a 27' halmark thrifty hauler around for a few years. It seems to be a decent trailer, although that one is a little bigger then your looking for. As for your current towing rig. A equalizer hitch, sway control and electric breaks are going to be a must for anytrailer big enough.

I know you said you want a covered trailer, and they sure are nice BUT you pay for it up front in $$$ and while towing. They weigh more and they can be a real handful in a cross wind. That 27' can take my 3/4 ton extended cab for a ride if an 18 wheeler passes me the wrong way. I wouldn't even think about towing it with less then a full size truck. A 16' should be better but its going to be a big handful, so if your going to pull a large heavy trailer with a "short" wheel base vehicle, be careful

Just something else to consider.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:43 PM
JakeL
New User
Howdy folks -

Thanks for the replies so far.

I definitely plan on having trailer brakes, and using the equalizing hitch - seems like inexpensive ways to make your life a lot nicer.

I think that a 16' would be the absolute max I'd trust going with this Sport Trac. What I'm wondering is if even that might be pushing it a bit, and I might be well-advised to stick to a smaller 7x14, rather than 7x16 or 8x16.

Jerry, when you say "fix the truck up for pulling", what do you mean, beyond installing the brake box, hitch, equalizer, etc. The 'Tracs have an tranny oil cooler from the factory, so at least that much is addressed. What else?

All that said, if limiting myself to a 16' open trailer until such time as I move up to a 3/4 ton truck is your folks' advice, then I'd definitely listen to that, too. It'd be a dissapointment - getting to races with a filthy/wet race car really sucks...

Thanks for the answers so far,

-Jake

Old 10-11-2004, 08:59 PM
JerrySimm
Elder User
Originally Posted by JakeL
Jerry, when you say "fix the truck up for pulling", what do you mean, beyond installing the brake box, hitch, equalizer, etc. The 'Tracs have an tranny oil cooler from the factory, so at least that much is addressed. What else?
I simply meant to fix it up in the configuration you're intending to use. You mentioned that you were going to put a reese style hitch, etc. on the truck, and I meant that you should do this before going for a trailer so you could try it out in the configuration you've selected. I realize that you may not have the equalizer / anti-sway brake when you first try it, but you'll still get a feel for the general handling of the rig. I agree with GRTF250 regarding the enclosed vs. open. The air will cause the enclosed to have more resistance when pulling as well as cross flow issues which will be amplified by the short wheel base on the towing vehicle. You can always rig a tow tarp to cover the car if you're that worried about how messy it may get. Aerodynamics become greater issues with reduced horsepower/torque and shorter or narrower wheel bases. All of these are potential issues with an Explorer / Sport Trac. However, Like I said, I have very successfully pulled my 16' tandem 6000 lb. axle open trailer (with farn style side bodies and without) many times with both my '92 and '03 Explorers. My trailer runs around 1100 to 1200 lbs. when empty.

Old 10-12-2004, 09:51 AM
grtF250
Senior User
I guess what I was saying is I think a 16' covered trailer is going to be pushing it for your current rig. I've pulled open bed trailers with similar vehicles (to yours) and I think properly setup, and taking it easy you'll be fine. But having pulled covered trailer too, with a full size truck, they are very diffrent and can be a real handful. Unfortunatually, there is a lot more to trailers then just the weight.

In short if it were me I think I would get an open bed trailer and a tarp for now, and then upgrade everything later. If you really want the covered trailer you'd be really pushing the limits IMO. Personally, I think I'd rather arrive safe but wet then take a chance that ....
Just my two cents.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:00 PM
JakeL
New User
Sounds like you guys are both sharing similar experiences then.

Thanks for the tips guys,

-Jake

Old 10-14-2004, 03:38 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Personally, I see no reason what so ever for the need of a diesel truck for what you want to haul.

If you want to get a bigger truck, I would go for a F-150, and since you have a sport-track, I would even consider a F-150 Super Crew.

This way you will be able to get a lot nicer lower milage truck, and not pay through the nose.

My '02 SuperCrew is rated for a max trailer of 7100 lbs, which is more than enough truck to do what you want to do.

More later...

Old 10-14-2004, 04:04 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Besides what has been mentioned, I might add a set of either airbags to the rear or a set of adjustable air shocks. No matter how the trailer is set up, you are still going to have a good bit of weight on the back. I would definitely look for some help there.

And I would stick with getting a Powerstroke - not an F150. My father just pulled my Explorer back to Atlanta to my mechanic (from Salt Lake City) using his F250 with a 6.0. My Explorer with everything in it (extra parts going out) is somewhere around 5,000lbs, and his 18' twin axle flatbed with rails is 1,500lbs. Between Salt Lake and Atlanta, he ran 65 to 75 and never had to downshift to pull the first hill. As someone with experience with both - I would say get the 6.0. It is well worth the extra money.

Old 10-14-2004, 04:24 PM
grtF250
Senior User
I don't think you NEED to go all the way to a 3/4 ton Diesel to pull the trailer you want, but if you WANT TO it will certinally do the job. What I was trying to say that the sport trac isn't going to tow the covered trailer well. an F-150 will have a longer wheelbase and that will help a lot.

Old 10-14-2004, 05:44 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CobraXP
And I would stick with getting a Powerstroke - not an F150. My father just pulled my Explorer back to Atlanta to my mechanic (from Salt Lake City) using his F250 with a 6.0. My Explorer with everything in it (extra parts going out) is somewhere around 5,000lbs, and his 18' twin axle flatbed with rails is 1,500lbs. Between Salt Lake and Atlanta, he ran 65 to 75 and never had to downshift to pull the first hill. As someone with experience with both - I would say get the 6.0. It is well worth the extra money.
I would sure hope it didnt have to down shift for 6500 lbs, that is like putting my motorcycle in the back of my F150 for a diesel 250.

A '05 F150 SuperCrew 5.4L 4x4 with 3.73 gears has a max trailer tow of 9200 lbs and a payload of 1560 lbs! Thats almost twice what he needs, and will still have plenty of room for a bigger trailer down the road.

6500 lbs is nothing for a F150, and hardly justifies spending 40K+ on a F-250 diesel.

Sure the diesel will pull it, but you will need to drive aleast 20K a year just to barely justify the additional cost, even more miles now since the price of diesel is on par with gas. We're not talking a couple grand difference, more like $6-7K +.

Money wise it makes absolutely no sense to buy a diesel for any thing under 10K lbs in weight and sees less than 10k mi of annual towing.

We are not talking a house here... heck even his Sport-track will pull it, and stop it safely.

Old 10-14-2004, 06:07 PM
grtF250
Senior User
superranger I don't think we disagree. The F150 would be plenty of truck for the covered trailer he's talking about. BUT the sport trac is not enough truck for a 16 covered trailer. its too short of wheel base and too light. Being within the weight limits of the rig is important but its not everything. A covered trailer is a harder rig to handle then an open bed trailer w/ the same weight because of the airdynamics.
What I think I said is if he WANTED the 3/4 ton of course that would work, but it isn't required. What I'm hearing from you (superranger) is the 3/4 ton is overkill and I agree but if you want the truck for other reasons, Go for it.

Old 10-14-2004, 06:34 PM
JakeL
New User
Hey guys -

really appreciate the input/dialog on this.

To Clarify, I think what our plans are coming down to is this: We had $5-6K earmarked for a car for the wife, but we're going to put that into a mid-90's 3/4 ton 4x4 ext cab truck instead.

Later, we will be selling the Sport-Trac for another used 3/4 ton (this time a diesel), that she'll need for her horse-pulling duties. I'll keep whatever 3/4 ton I get for my race car stuff, since we often have conflicting weekends. The two trucks should serve our purposes well.

I'll probably stick with a 3/4 ton for my towing, since I just like knowing that the truck is "overkill" for my relatively simple application - the extra beef in the frame and springs etc is worth it to me.

Now, blasphemous though this might be, the decision becomes to figure out which of the "Big 3" made good trucks in the mid '90's.

Cheers!

-Jake

Old 10-14-2004, 09:35 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
I would sure hope it didnt have to down shift for 6500 lbs, that is like putting my motorcycle in the back of my F150 for a diesel 250.

A '05 F150 SuperCrew 5.4L 4x4 with 3.73 gears has a max trailer tow of 9200 lbs and a payload of 1560 lbs! Thats almost twice what he needs, and will still have plenty of room for a bigger trailer down the road.

6500 lbs is nothing for a F150, and hardly justifies spending 40K+ on a F-250 diesel.

Sure the diesel will pull it, but you will need to drive aleast 20K a year just to barely justify the additional cost, even more miles now since the price of diesel is on par with gas. We're not talking a couple grand difference, more like $6-7K +.

Money wise it makes absolutely no sense to buy a diesel for any thing under 10K lbs in weight and sees less than 10k mi of annual towing.

We are not talking a house here... heck even his Sport-track will pull it, and stop it safely.

I don't look at just what it will do. Sure - the 150 has the numbers behind it to do what he wants. But the terrain he will be using it in, along with the mileage he will put on it would warrant the extra money for a diesel. The 6.0 get just as good - if not better mileage than the 150 - so gas price is irrelevant. The 150 will strain and work harder any day of the week over a 250. That means more wear and tear on not only the engine, but the drivetrain also. When you are spending the kind of money a loaded 150 and 250 costs - I would spend the extra money any day to get the extra longevity a 250 will bring. Look at how many 150's are in used lots compared to 250's. That will tell you something. Resell value itself - plus the workload being done justifies the means.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Sport Trac - looking for trailer size suggs for 1000# race car