Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

My Ideas for the Advancement of Ford Motor Co.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 03:14 PM
b3nzyme
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ideas for the Advancement of Ford Motor Co.

As of the current years, Ford hasn't been doing as well. What happened? Well, to start, Ford has a bad reputation. Many people's first stereotype is a "junky fall-apart truck with 101 problems". Most of the things are opinionated, and I can see why. Everyone's interest has been shifted to fast cars, big enginges, big spending, cars/trucks/s-u-v's that stand out---ones that grab attention. Ford has been working hard at keeping records for best selling trucks, most low-end torque, etc. and has been forgetting about the customers and what THEY want. Not to mention Ford has been doing a great job maintaining their records. But the customers mostly want vehicles that make THEM look good. Think about it. 1: Why do people like Cadillac Escalades? 2:Why do people prefer a camaro over a mustang? 1: Its a nice looking vehicle that someone with a lot of money can buy and show off in. It's "pimp".2: Overall the camaro has always been better at speed than the mustang and it isn't so cheap. Ford vehicles has usually just had an appearance and 'personality' of an average vehicle. Many people bought the last model of the f150 because during that time, It had nice looks and looked more like a man's truck. This 2004 model looks nowhere near as impressive, yet it is a great truck. Im not suggesting they change the looks back again, that would be a burnout... they just need to change it so it looks impressive to the modern day customer. Secondly... Ford had a great idea when it and Mazda worked together to make the Ford Probe. It was a fairly cheap to cheap sports car. Ones that people like to buy and dragrace. Like the area of Honda Civics, Mazda Miatas, Dodge Neons,etc. Dodge got together with plymouth and created the Neon and sales rocketed. Ford would have kept selling the Probes, and maybe more even today if the Mustang didn't become more and more affordable over the years. The 1994 Mustang was what dropped the sales of the Probe.They could have put the mustang in a higher position, making it faster and a little more expensive, so Ford would look a little better in regards to racing, and still have an affordable sports car much like the mustang is today. (Besides the Probe looked pimp)
Its the customers opinions that affect the company. The company can't run itself without the people, and Ford needs to start putting itself in a customer's shoes. Ford concentrates on making everything affordable. That sounds great... for a while but then it gives them that reputation.
There are lots of other things I'd like to share, but they are more opinionated. I'd like anyone who's taken their time to read this to post suggestions for the betterment of Ford's Vehicles.

Last edited by b3nzyme; 10-10-2004 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:13 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
A. The Camaro sold so badly they discontinued it while the Mustang continues to have strong sales. The facts don't agree with your opinion.
B. Only people who like "bling" prefer Escalades. I suspect they are the same type who put $6K into a set of wheels but not one single cent away for the future in retirement accounts.
C. Ford has a vehicle that competes with the Civis, Miatas (which is owned by Ford), Neons, etc. Its the Focus. It sells well.
D. The Probe failed because it was a poor wanna-be for its market. Its was a looks sports car, not a true true sports car. Front wheel drive is one reason why. Its primary market were female buyers.

I'm glad you don't operate Ford... I suspect they'd be out of business.

Old 10-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by webmaster
I'm glad you don't operate Ford... I suspect they'd be out of business.
Well, at least we'd all get 22's from the factory. Fo' PIMPIN'

Old 10-10-2004, 05:21 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Myself personally think Fords doing a great job with the products they have. Why mention the Camaro. If it was so good why arnt they making it anymore. The Mustang has outsold it and 40 years and counting anoother legendary Mustang is born. The car line has aged too much.but new midels should change that end of the business pretty quick. I think the new 150 looks alot better then the old.I think most peol would agree. With a Ford in power Bill Ford Jr. Fords fortunes have turned around to the positive side..Great grandfather Henry and Uncle Henry Ford II would proud of Bill.

Old 10-10-2004, 05:54 PM
AxisAllies
Junior User
I think Ford is going great personally. I'm not a brand basher for anyone. I like Dodge and GM trucks. I like Ford trucks. Personally the new 2005 Super Duty series is the best truck going IMO. The 6.0 PSD has made a serious impression on me as well - never thought I'd say that. The Mustang is the best looking sports car on the road now - thanks to Ford's ingenuity of going retro with it.
You will not find a more reliable car than a Crown Vic. It's amazing that you can still get such refinement and luxury in a full sized car for less than 25,000.00 these days. Whats wrong with things being made more affordable for consumers? I do not like the looks of the new F150. Im not really into the boxy all body/no glass look, but it's fine for whoever likes it. All make good and bad.
We currently have 3 GM cars in our family with major problems. A 2000 Pontiac Grand Am in need of completely new transmission. A 96 Buick Regal with water pump, starter, and transmission problems, and an Oldsmobile with blown transaxle and warped brake rotors. Have a 91 Chevy pickup with 407,973 original milles on it though-still running great. Got a 92 Ford crown vic that has been driven hard - never any problems inspite of it. 98 Taurus has 110,000 trouble free miles. 96' Lincoln continental with 4.6 V8. Never tranny or engine issues - but it sits undrivable because of the failed air suspension - will cost more than 3500.00 to fix....ARGGGHHHH! My 98 F150
has been trouble free for 111,000 + miles. Dodges have been good to us as well, the point being any car or truck can fail, even with maintance.

IMO Ford has it together. I like affordability without compromising value and quality. The 2005 PSD will be my next truck - after HONESTLY and unbiasedly comparing all of them. Dodge and GM are fine, but my next will definately be a Ford.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:44 PM
b3nzyme
New User
as a matter of fact i do own a ford f150 stx 1998 ... along with a 2003 civic
the ford had brake problems. then the alternator started having problems, (the bearings needed replacement, nylon cages in the (roller, rotor, or something my grandpa---retired auto mechanic- said) melted at one time, one thing after another.

and in response to the question of why i used camaro... It doesn't matter really, i mean any sports/performance car can take its place. I just took that one for an example off the top of my head.

Last edited by b3nzyme; 10-11-2004 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My biggest complaint with Ford is that they want to make all of us drive automatic transmissions in the F150's. I want manual..period.

My next complaint is with the changeover to get rid of the bulletproof 9" rear ends. The change to the GM style differential was a serious mistake. As for the 9' diffs...if it ain't broke...dangit..DON'T FIX IT!

Otherwise..I will be a Ford person for my 1st choice until death do us part. I may have to start going backwards in years to get the manual tranny, if and when I decide to retire the one I now have. the wife wants a new vehicle next..and she keeps saying she wants a Jeep. I keep saying she should be wanting an Explorer or something to that effect. Ya just can't talk to some people.

Old 10-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
Smile

Ford is doing very well, when it comes to truck sales. They are number one year after year. They are definately doing somthing right when they sell that many trucks. On the other hand Ford cars a suffering right now. The new Freestar just aint selling, and lets be honest the Focus is not evn close to what a Civic or Miata or Even Neon is right now. Tha Mustang is getting the new makieover for 2005 which was long overdoo, IMO. The Taraus is a good family car fore sure, and its getting replaced by the 500. The 500 aint too shabby either, I mean thats a pretty nice car for its pricerange and the market its aimed at. Ford definately needs a new luxury car, and soon. Them and GM dont have a car to compete with that new Chrysler 300. The new GT-40 is also a great car. Ford's answer to the Viper and Chevy Corvette. Although it wont be available in Canada for federal safety standards its still a sexy car.

One big thing that Ford needs to work on though is thier engines. The Trition 5.4 is a good engine but it aint gonna get it done with competitors like the Hemi. The powerstrko diesel should also be redone. Ford need a proper diesel engine, the powersroke is a good engine if you want to race 1/4 mile, they need a diesel that will haul a$$, and last long. Another thing if Ford is listening: STOP SUPERCHARGING YOUR ENGINES!!! The GT-40 and 2005 Lightning are both supercharged. Thats cutting corners if you ask me. Make the horses with "american muscle" like engines. That GT-40 was made to give the Viper a run for its money, which it has. Although its just lazy to slap a supercharger on a car and say its fast, and competes. Ford is dam well capable of building a good exotic engine with big horses (500+) they should get going and do it. Sorry to say but if you supercharge a Viper of Corvette it will blow any GT-40 or Lightning away.

Well those are my recomendations. Now flame away

Last edited by Musclecar_Fan; 10-12-2004 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:22 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
WELCOME to the site Musclecar_Fan, please read the Guidelines… Check out the list of forums and make sure you read the headings and Read First: notices in each forum.
Enjoy FTE

Old 10-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
I have to agree with the general consensus here, Ford has (and does) make great trucks, they've been No. one for over 20 years.
They make good special market cars, even the worst Mustang always blew the Camaro (and everything else in it's class) out of the water. The new one is gonna be a runaway success too. GT40 is a nice exotic, but not built for a very big market.

But outside of those cars, Ford has built nothing but dogs for cars since the early seventies. They just can't seem to get a handle on the Focus's competition, and their mid-range cars have been generic and mediocre at best. So Honda continues to blow them out of the water.

Where's Ford's version of the Chrysler 300 with a Hemi?
The 500? don't make me laugh. it's a glorified Volvo.

How about any serious competition for Jeep? or the Toyota Avalon? Seems like Ford went down a one way road with the throw-away Tempo and Topaz and Probe that they have never been able to recover from. I sure keep hoping one day they will get their ducks in a row,...... and then they announce something like the 500. Gimme a break. Pull your head out of the sand Bill Ford. Honda's making trucks now. Better get competitive.

RF

Last edited by Ringo Fonebone; 10-12-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:59 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With a s/c 5.4, a Ford 500 would be very competitive, especially being all wheel drive and everything. All they need to do is let SVT get ahold of some more vehicles.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:24 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
You guys are running down the 500 like its some joke. Siad the same thing aboutthe taurus over 18 years ago.Said it was a joke. No good. Well it urned out to be a popu;ar car for over many years. Most cars today are based on the taurus back in the eighties. Ive seen this 500 up close and in person and its one heck of a car. It has lots of interior oom a huge trunk. And other features that make it great. This car will sell very good. Sell better then most people think. Hemi is sure getting a lot of attention here for some reason I dont know. Its way overated. Its absolutly a dog as far as torqe goes. But Dodge should be happy its got everyones attention. There ploy worked. Dodge has to work hard selling vehicles because of there rotten relaibility in the past.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:46 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not true, I love the Ford 500.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
150FORD, I have read alot of your post, and Im gonna call you on this one. Explain to me why the HEMI is just a "ploy" if it is the most powerful V8 on the market right now. Its sure lived up to its name, and its out performes all other engines right now so there is obviously not just a name brough back for marketing purposes. I have read alot of posts on this site and it seems Dodge gets a bad wrap for everything they do. I dont understand it. If the HEMI was made by Ford you would ador it and it would be unbeatable no matter what. But because its Dodge you look down upon it. Im not loyal to one brand or another, I like all cars, I'm a car nut in general, and in my opinion Dodge makes a hell of a truck now. In fact Dodge Ford and GM all make good trucks. Each has its pros and cons but they are all still solid pickups. Give some credit where credit is due. And yes I know Dodge does make the worst 5 speed auto tranny on the market. Same thing with diesels, no matter how well the cummins or duramax perform, it sucks, its junk, and its just aint good enough. If there was a Ram emblem on the F-150 you would probably hate it too. Again I love all cars, no matter what emblem is on the front of it. Look past that. My family has had many cars, including a few Dodges they were reliable for us, all are cars have been. Not trying to start a war here guys, Im'm just giving credit where its due and looking at the automobile in general not the name thats written on it.

Last edited by Musclecar_Fan; 10-12-2004 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:26 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Power doesnt do you much good without torque and the hemi doesnt have it. It has power on the upper end sure but no low end torque. Thats what counts. Hey I know engines pretty well and what I say is true. Its nothing like the hemi of old not even close. Lot of people know nothing about engines they just see the word hemi and wala its the best. There are a lot of other people on this site who are experts about engines and they say the same thing. What is your knowledge about engines and the mechanics of them. Like I said Hemi is just a marketining tool for Dodge.

Quick Reply: My Ideas for the Advancement of Ford Motor Co.