Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2005, 11:05 AM
New User

hanging_dog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wink

Okay. Here's my two cents...

I have two North Carolina/Georgia origin trucks with Y-Blocks:

The first is a '55 F-100 with a 239. Unfortunately, it was repainted by a previous owner when the truck's Seafoam body color was painted dark blue. The firewall is still Seafoam but the 239 was painted dark blue to match the exterior of the truck. Only original color on this particular engine is the crossover exhaust manifold which is white and the air cleaner which is black.

The second is a '64 F-100 with a 292. The block is black and the valve covers are red. The crossover exhaust is white. The fan, pulleys, and alternator are also painted red. The carb and air cleaner are not original and are unpainted. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee any of the '64's engine paint is original. My gut tells me that the valve covers and accessories may have had at least one repainting. A mechanic friend of mine that saw the engine says the alternator is actually a GM alternator.

I also bought a '60 parts truck from a gentleman in Charlotte, NC who also owned a '55 F-100. His '55 looked all original and unrestored. He told me the engine was a 239 like the '55 I had at home. He opened the hood and showed me the engine and compartment. This 239 had the following paint scheme: yellow block, black valve covers and air cleaner, and a white exhaust manifold. He was of the opinion that all truck Y-Block's of this era used this color scheme.

Over a year ago, I came across a web page that listed engine color schemes by year and model while doing random searches on "y-block" or "ford y-block." I have a print-out of this page in my Y-Block notes somewhere but haven't been able to find the page online again (sorry). This listing suggested that the black block and red valve cover scheme was used on Thunderbirds, cream (or white) and red for other cars, and yellow and black for truck engines. The color listing for truck engines was followed by a lot of asteriks and/or question marks which suggested that the truck info was highly conjectural.

I want to keep my '55 Effie stock, but I haven't made any final decisions yet as to engine color. I'm going to wait until my head stops spinning.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Elder User

Janet40 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanging_dog
Okay. Here's my two cents...

I have two North Carolina/Georgia origin trucks with Y-Blocks:

The first is a '55 F-100 with a 239. Unfortunately, it was repainted by a previous owner when the truck's Seafoam body color was painted dark blue. The firewall is still Seafoam but the 239 was painted dark blue to match the exterior of the truck. Only original color on this particular engine is the crossover exhaust manifold which is white and the air cleaner which is black.

The second is a '64 F-100 with a 292. The block is black and the valve covers are red. The crossover exhaust is white. The fan, pulleys, and alternator are also painted red. The carb and air cleaner are not original and are unpainted. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee any of the '64's engine paint is original. My gut tells me that the valve covers and accessories may have had at least one repainting. A mechanic friend of mine that saw the engine says the alternator is actually a GM alternator.

I also bought a '60 parts truck from a gentleman in Charlotte, NC who also owned a '55 F-100. His '55 looked all original and unrestored. He told me the engine was a 239 like the '55 I had at home. He opened the hood and showed me the engine and compartment. This 239 had the following paint scheme: yellow block, black valve covers and air cleaner, and a white exhaust manifold. He was of the opinion that all truck Y-Block's of this era used this color scheme.

Over a year ago, I came across a web page that listed engine color schemes by year and model while doing random searches on "y-block" or "ford y-block." I have a print-out of this page in my Y-Block notes somewhere but haven't been able to find the page online again (sorry). This listing suggested that the black block and red valve cover scheme was used on Thunderbirds, cream (or white) and red for other cars, and yellow and black for truck engines. The color listing for truck engines was followed by a lot of asteriks and/or question marks which suggested that the truck info was highly conjectural.

I want to keep my '55 Effie stock, but I haven't made any final decisions yet as to engine color. I'm going to wait until my head stops spinning.
I am able to answer a couple of your questions/statements. That 64 Yblock you mentioned had to be a truck engine, this i know because Ford didn't use Yblock in cars after 62. But a 64 Pickup, would be a 292 and be black block with red valve covers, and 60 to 63 used all red. Also that 55 you mentioned that was painted dark blue with a 1954 Yblock 239, would have been originally two schemes, for the 239 f100 it would be red and silver valve covers, but the large truck or bus 239 would have a yellow block and the f650. I'm sorry, but that web page you found, it's better you lost that site, because that's totally off of them to come up with that. Yellow and black for "All" truck engines is false, only on a select few years, but those would be the large trucks, not the f100, some suggest the 55-57 f100 used a yellow block but that's only a select few years, as f100 used red block in 54 and then again in 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, and 64 was black block, so one cannot say all truck engines were yellow, only some, but even the early f650 in 1954 that had a yellow block it still never had black valve covers, instead they had silver covers, bad website, but that is based on a few years, like only 3 years and mattered as to whether it was a f100 or up to a f600.

Now on the exhaust crossover being white you mentioned, this i have no clue on, because unless someone ceramic coated them, any i ever was around back then were just rusty brown or got that way, this is just my opinion, but i don't think on Ford stock vehicles that they ever painted exhaust manifolds or crossover pipes, but maybe so. Engine colors can be tricky, because it was in 1977 (a bad decision on my part), my husbands uncle talked me into buying a chevrolet pickup they had on sale new for a good price with a V8 305 small block, it wasn't but a month the light blue intake manifold paint burned completely off my engine and his, hehehehe

As far as Tbirds having a black block?? Ummm, i don't think so. I know in 57 they used red block and black covers, in the 60's they used a FE 390 that was painted silver. The gentleman in Charllote NC, was fairly right, He was probably an enthusiast but just never studied the actual color schemes like us in here, my combination of interest i take very seriously, but i strangley somehow became a Ford and Cadillac collecter, and study own some of them and study far back, and i never use guess work until i am really sure how it goes, large truck 239 applications used a yellow block on the 1954 239, but ir had silver valve covers, but again the 239 in your f100 would have a red block and silver covers. I know it's a dizzy head spinner to many on these colors, that's why i myself will read several times over some post i read in here, some can be half correct but only half true or whatever, one thing i've noticed is all Yblock sites i have seen for some reason cannot get this simple one thing down, only 3 years used yellow block on Yblocks, the early had silver covers, the mid fifties as up to perhaps 55-57 truck engines were yellow with black covers, but that's only two years, and they never get it down right about the series difference, this is where people get confused, don't get me wrong, i don't take you as a confused person, i simply take you as a person who wants to know....Janet

Last edited by Janet40; 01-13-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:27 PM
New User

Smile

Never heard of the use of silver or argent on a Y-Block before seeing this thread. You learn something new everyday.

I didn't give much weight to whatever that y-block website was that listed block colors. It's list focused mainly on y-block use in cars. The truck listing was a mass of question marks and asteriks. The writer seemed to make it clear that the truck listing was incomplete and mostly conjecture.

The official paint schemes are sounding a little haphazzard. There is always the "make up your own color scheme" approach to fall back on. I love to research and learn these little details, but I hope no one is losing any sleep or churning up a stomach ulcer over the question of block colors.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Never heard of the use of silver or argent on a Y-Block before seeing this thread. You learn something new everyday.

I didn't give much weight to whatever that y-block website was that listed block colors. It's list focused mainly on y-block use in cars. The truck listing was a mass of question marks and asteriks. The writer seemed to make it clear that the truck listing was incomplete and mostly conjecture.

The official paint schemes are sounding a little haphazzard. There is always the "make up your own color scheme" approach to fall back on. I love to research and learn these little details, but I hope no one is losing any sleep or churning up a stomach ulcer over the question of block colors.
I hear you. I enjoy this type of thing, while i have 2 or 3 other things going on. Really i do not think anyone should just take someones word for anything on here or anything for that matter, the best way is to find out by color brochures given for those years as suggested by a user named Abe in here. I know i get detailed, but that helps to keep reinforcing my knowledge in certain areas and to hopefully be there for others. The first Yblock i ever owned was a 57 Ford 292 way the heck back in 1969, a station wagon with a orangish red block and black covers, then i physically saw a 54 ford pickup f100 with silver covers and red block then was reinforced i was right when another user produced an original family owned truck and told me at ebay you can find these color brochures.

Janet
Old 01-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Elder User

Quote:

Here is a picture of a 1954 ford pickup with the optional original 317 Yblock for that year, i forgot the link to this site but here is a power king Yblock with argent cover.

[IMG]

[/IMG]

Let's hope the html in here works....Janet

Old 01-13-2005, 06:26 PM
Elder User

Here's something i heard very funny from a user i know at 61 to 66 ford pickups club today about engine colors, he said when he was a teenager that around 1970, his generation of Sophomores and Graduates were handed down from their parents all your older Ford cars as they were 15 year old cars, and kids back then all loved spray painting the engine to make it look new, Hmmmmmmm... It's funny, but it does have some truth to it, i remember having a 64 ford galaxy that had a 223 inline six and i changed it from red to Ford dark blue. But it is possible that a few generation gaps could have rebuilt those engines and repainted them, it is now over 51 years ago since the 54 Yblock.......Janet
Old 01-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Postmaster

abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Janet,
Your knowledge is tremendous. Thanks, but there is one point I would like to clear up. The whole line of truck engines in 1954 had red blocks (with silver valve covers) regardless of the engine size or what size truck they were in. The color brochure I have shows all the engines: the 6 cyl, the 239, and the 2 bigger ones (I foget the size) and all are red. I looked at a '54 F-600 and it had the red engine. I have seen a '54 F-700 with the red block. I want to get some pics of that truck as it is near my town and in great condition.

I have a color brochure for 1955 trucks and they show the 6 cyl and the 239 in yellow with silver valve covers as Janet described. The 2 biggest engines for '55 were red with silver valve covers!!!

One has to be very specific when talking engine colors with some one, because there are cars and trucks, and different size truck engines and then it can vary each year, so if a guy is off by one year, or you see a web site listing colors, are they talking cars or trucks and so on!

abe

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200
1970 F-350 flatbed dump, purchased 9/20/12
Old 01-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe
Janet,
Your knowledge is tremendous. Thanks, but there is one point I would like to clear up. The whole line of truck engines in 1954 had red blocks (with silver valve covers) regardless of the engine size or what size truck they were in. The color brochure I have shows all the engines: the 6 cyl, the 239, and the 2 bigger ones (I foget the size) and all are red. I looked at a '54 F-600 and it had the red engine. I have seen a '54 F-700 with the red block. I want to get some pics of that truck as it is near my town and in great condition.

I have a color brochure for 1955 trucks and they show the 6 cyl and the 239 in yellow with silver valve covers as Janet described. The 2 biggest engines for '55 were red with silver valve covers!!!

One has to be very specific when talking engine colors with some one, because there are cars and trucks, and different size truck engines and then it can vary each year, so if a guy is off by one year, or you see a web site listing colors, are they talking cars or trucks and so on!

abe

Yes, with all the color combinations one can get confused and people really have to go by the year and series and not get them mixed up with car Yblocks that make a difference, well nice seeing you around Abe, i'm glad you put the part in about all yblock for 54 trucks are red, this is another subject but actually i think only maybe a tad few years used yellow blocks, i remember seeing red on almost all the ones i've seen, to get that down right a person needs to study the brochures and write it down and save it, that way they can help out other enthusiast when they need these original colors after a rebuild, I know if i restore an original, myself the engine scheme is extremely important, but then one must realize i like factory stock hub caps and the works!! I'm into stock everything original, except for one thing, i like electric fuel pumps and Delco Remy alternators and refuse to mess with external voltage regulators and old time generators, on colors again, i personaly would not want a yellow block on an engine but if i owned an original i rebuilt and that year called for yellow then i would do it, it bumps the value up and keeps an original all original, to me it matters very much, and on all the other stuff, i wouldn't have a 1960 -292 in my 56 fairlane, but it had no engine and the 60 galaxy yblock i found and turned out to be a great buildable engine.......Janet

Last edited by Janet40; 01-14-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Postmaster

bigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to behold
My 56 full line truck brochure shows pics of all engines available for TRUCKS. All engines are yellow with argent valve covers and black air cleaners,gen, starter, oil cap, pulleys, and fan.

Kevin Bigwin
Old 01-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Postmaster

bigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to beholdbigwin56f100 is a splendid one to behold
Click the image to open in full size.

Here is a factory pic of engines on the assembly line!

Kevin Bigwin
Old 01-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Postmaster

abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Kevin,
Cool picture!! Where did you find that pic? Do you know what year it is and if it is a truck engine. Notice the red engines in the back. Notice how the exhaust manifold and crossover is black before it gor burned off!

Good job!
abe

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200
1970 F-350 flatbed dump, purchased 9/20/12
Old 01-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Elder User

Sixoh is starting off with a positive reputation.
It kinda looks like those manifolds are a cast iron gray, and the crossover is a smooth black finish. In the background, the red engines are the inline 6's. These pictures certainly take care of proper engine coloring for both I6's and V8s!

Who's got color pictures of the other years???
Old 01-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Postmaster

THIS IS OUT OF A 1956 color brochure booklet I have . You'll note that the yellow engine has a rear sump oil pan for trucks and the red 6cyl has a front oil sump for cars.

Kevin Bigwin
Old 06-17-2005, 07:55 PM
New User

Smile More 239 color

Finally got my shop in order and started dismantling my '55 F-100 this week. The engine block on its 239 YBlock is yellow. Haven't scraped the junky blue paint off the valve covers yet to see their original color.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:08 AM
Elder User

rogerf100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a color brochure from 1955 for Ford trucks with pics of the 223 6 cyl, 239 OHV V8, 256 OHV V8, 279 OHV V8 and 317 OHV V8 engines. The 223, 239, and 256 have yellow blocks with argent silver valve covers, black air cleaners, fan, pulleys, gen, starter, and exhaust manifolds including the cross over pipe. The 279 and 317 have red blocks with argent silver valve covers and the rams head exhaust manifolds are black as are the rest of the parts as listed for the smaller V8s. I will see if I can scan the pics into my computer. This is only for 1955 model trucks. There is also a chart that covers the F series conventional line, the C series Cab Forward line, The T series Tandem axle line, The B series School Bus, and the P series Parcel Delivery. The chart shows available engine and transmissions for 1955 Ford trucks.

Hope this helps at least for 1955.
'94 F150 Flareside 5.0 V8
roger dot hughes64 at gmail dot com
Old 06-19-2005, 01:08 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368)

Tags
1959, 239, 292, block, color, colors, covers, dipstick, engine, f600, ford, gallery, gold, original, valve, yblock