Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2005 escape trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Stevesjet
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 escape trailer wiring

I bought a 2005 Ford Escape without trailer tow for the same reason everyone else. I wanted the 2 inch receiver and found out (like everyone else) that wiring is a problem. I read the articles on the 2004 Escape, but does anyone know if it's the same on the 2005 Escape. Here's what I have found: There is an empty plug for wiring underneath the bumper on the left side, but there is no power going to that wiring. Therefore, I read the owners manual and found that there should be a fuse in the fuse box (for trailer wiring) , but found out the truck was not wired to that fuse. Is this correct? Any suggestions?

In addition, since adding the hitch there is a vibrating noise from the back of the truck. Something is rubbing against the hitch. It appears it could be the exhaust hitting the rear bumper. There is no cut outs for the exhaust. Suggestions?

Old 10-09-2004, 11:23 AM
splashtm
Senior User
I can't help with your problem, but I haven't heard about any problems with the tow package as yet. if you could elaborate on the reason nobody gets the tow package, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Stevesjet
New User
If you mean why nobody purchases the escape with a tow package its because of the reciever hitch size. Many people have bike carriers that are not cheap that take a 2" reciever that the bike carrier slides into. I would also like to use it for pulling an aluminum snowmobile trailer which would be way under the wieght restrictions but the question of concern is the wiring and it looks like the wiring is hanging by the rear bumper but is not connected by the fuse box. I could have it connected but it would be very time consuming. It seems like the only solution is to splice into the rear tail lights but I prefer not to do so.

Old 10-09-2004, 03:37 PM
splashtm
Senior User
I guess I've never seen a bike rack attached to an Escape. But if that's what you wanted it for, I can see why you skipped it. I guess i have seen No Boundaries package people loaded up with bikes and stuff. Never heard/seen anyone complain about the wiring, though. I should check into that. thanks again.

Old 10-12-2004, 01:14 PM
panair
New User
Red face Escape wiring harness

I have run into the same problem with my 2005 Escape. Ford has released a wiring harness for this (last week) but it is a converter that must be spliced into the tail lights. I'd like to know if any plug and play adapter exists for this.

Old 10-31-2004, 03:52 PM
wewefirex2x
New User
1st post guys !

I bought a 2005 escape without a hitch for the same reasons you did. I also have what appears to be a four flat trailer wiring harness. It runs up into the drivers side taillight and splices together, but the idiots at Ford decided not to put power to it. I also have no fuse in the trailer tow fuse panel under the dash. I was told I could use a Modulite to power the harness, but there has to be a reason why ford left it with no power. You call your dealership and they have no idea what your talking about.

I called Hopkins Mfg. ( Hoppy ) and they said that the harness was still in the development stages.

I would like to know where I can get the factory hookup that just came out last week?

Old 06-04-2005, 03:21 PM
jdinkel
New User
Any new developments? What hitch did you get? Where did you get it? Have you figured out the wiring? Did you fix the vibration noise problem? Has anyone had the vibration noise with other hitches?

I just got a 2005 Escape and plan on getting a Draw-Tite 75194 model hitch and purchase it from hitchestogo.com. Also, Hitch-web says all you need is the Draw-Tite Modulite model 18187 for the wiring.

One other thing - has anybody had any problems with the spare tire with a hitch installed? Like does it still fit?

Old 06-05-2005, 07:59 AM
panair
New User
2005 Escape wiring

My trailer hitch was purchased at a Valley retailer and fits fine except the receiver seems to fit loosely resulting in banging noise when trailer bounces. I was finally able to purchase a universal wiring adapter at NAPA that didn't require the separate power connection. It cost $16.99 and only took about 45 minutes to install by removing the 2 tail light lenses and using scotchlocks to tap into existing wiring. Ford should be ashamed at not offering a good wiring solution when it changes it's wiring diagram. I called several Ford dealers and nobody had a solution.

Old 06-05-2005, 10:50 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome Panair, Stevesjet, and wewefirex2x, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
Almost the entire page is new members!
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 06-05-2005, 04:56 PM
seamonkey49
Junior User
Panair, did you have to tap the right taillight at the wiring that directly connects with it on the right side, or did you find a live wire for it in the larger bundle on the left side?

Old 06-05-2005, 09:54 PM
jdinkel
New User
Originally Posted by wewefirex2x
1st post guys !

I bought a 2005 escape without a hitch for the same reasons you did. I also have what appears to be a four flat trailer wiring harness. It runs up into the drivers side taillight and splices together, but the idiots at Ford decided not to put power to it.
I can't find this wiring harness? Can you see it from under the vehicle? Could someone post a pic?

Old 06-05-2005, 10:43 PM
seamonkey49
Junior User
Reach up under the lip of the bumper on the driver's side, all the way back.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:12 PM
jdinkel
New User
Originally Posted by seamonkey49
Reach up under the lip of the bumper on the driver's side, all the way back.
I crawled my fat self under the driver side bumper and did not see any dangling 4-flat end.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:59 PM
seamonkey49
Junior User
It's not dangling, it's set back into the corner, and the terminal is attached to a metal brace about a foot in. But maybe yours doesn't have one?!

Per the other posts, the harness, if it's there, probably doesn't have any power, so you may have to tap into the taillight wiring behind the interior side panel (driver's side). That's what I had to do and it works fine.

Yes, this is all a bit annoying.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:15 PM
jdinkel
New User
I am planning on using a modulite. I was hoping I could run a wire to the battery for the modulite and then use the wires on the plug that is there rather than splicing in to the taillight wiring. I can't go check for the plug again now, my wife has the Escape.

So do you have to tap in to the wiring on just the drivers side or on both the drivers and passenger's side?

Quick Reply: 2005 escape trailer wiring