1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Plug change @ dealer & quoted time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 10:04 AM
adelyser
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoa, $600? That's quite steep. I was quoted right around the $225-$300 range for the local shops/dealerships. I decided to do it myself, and I can now change all 8 in 45 minutes. I would call a couple of other dealerships to see what price they quote ya.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Expoboy
New User
Hey adelyser,

I would like to change the plugs myself in my 1997 5.4 Expo. Can you tell me exactly what tools you use to get the job done so quick and the general process for doing it. Thanks,

Tracy (expoboy)

Old 10-15-2004, 11:17 AM
adelyser
Elder User
I use both 3/8" and 1/4" drive tools. I have a screwdriver handle for the 1/4" drive sockets. If I use that with a 1/4" universal, plus the 7mm socket, I can easily get all the coil packs undone. I also have a small, thin extendable magnet I use when removing those small bolts. Also, stuff some rags into the holes in the intake manifold to prevent bolts and sockets from falling down underneath.

Once the coil packs are out, I then use the 3/8" sockets to remove the plugs. The back 2 on the passenger side are the worst. I use a combination of extensions with a universal. Slip the extension and socket down into the hole, then add the socket wrench. Make sure you have a spark plug socket with the rubber retainer inside to pull out the plug after you loosen it. It took me about 2 hours to get the passenger side back plug out the first time. I had to remove it a 2nd time, and it only took about 10 minutes as I have it down now.

The key is plan on having plenty of time to do the job, otherwise, you'll rush and have many problems.

Old 10-15-2004, 11:23 AM
gibsonj
Tuned
Hey Big Craig,

Send me a pic or NAPA part # so I know I'm asking for the right socket. This sounds like the way to go. Kinda nervous about so many things to handle over an open spark plug hole.

Old 10-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Expoboy
New User
Thanks for all the advice adelyser. I will tackle it this weekend when I have some time to devote to it.

Expoboy

Old 10-15-2004, 03:41 PM
rustysocket
Freshman User
Another good tip. before you start hit the holes with compressed air to make sure no dirt falls in the bore.

Go slow and make sure not to cross thread the plugs and ALWAYS use anti-sieze on the threads.

Old 10-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Big Craig
Senior User
Originally Posted by gibsonj
Hey Big Craig,

Send me a pic or NAPA part # so I know I'm asking for the right socket. This sounds like the way to go. Kinda nervous about so many things to handle over an open spark plug hole.
I will post pic and part number this weekend, its been a rough week

Old 10-18-2004, 07:33 AM
gibsonj
Tuned
Thanks---I'll be looking for it.

Old 10-24-2004, 05:18 AM
Big Craig
Senior User
Sorry it took so long.........

Had to run down to Florida for family emergency, the NAPA part number is 7759052 (if looking it up on www.napaonline.com) also known as 775-9052, it is about $10 and worth its weight in gold, it is 5 1/8" long(the web site says 4.5", maybe they dont count the hex area adding the difference??) and is 13/16" wide, this socket is a PERFECT fit with absolutely no wobble in the cavity to get to the spark plug, another words it is self aligning and will put the plug exactly in line with the threads, no way to cross thread the spark plug(OMG if that happens) Please use anti seize on the threads as recommended by Ford manual, Napa also sells this in a clean rub on stick, I do not remember the part number but it is about 1/2" wide and about 6" long and is silver in color.
I went to my local dealer and bought the newest updated set of spark plugs FoMoCo PN "AGSF22WMF4" This is a little different than called out for in the owners manual but after many hours of research it is correct and I would never use any after market plugs in this 5.4 engine, they were $4.22 each, a little expensive but cheaper than doing it twice.
I am going to try and upload a pic of the socket, if it does not come on this post please email me (sunbird is my boat, not my car) I will promptly email it to you.
http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/nc...MAGE=10555.jpg
I cannot figure out how to put pic in post(can someone tell me? )

Last edited by Big Craig; 10-24-2004 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-24-2004, 01:47 PM
TCExp
Senior User
I had my plugs changed two weeks ago (99 Expy 5.4 Triton) in Fort Wayne, IN.
I have 109,000 miles on my truck and the dealership tech said they looked fine and didn't think they needed to be changed. I had them done because it needed a lifter spring anyway and thought while it's in there, just get it done. The labor portion for the plugs was $280.

Old 10-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
At the dealer I work at they charge approx 2.9 hours to replace the plugs. I believe that is the time out of the Mitchell flat rate manual.
For some tips on replacing the plugs yourself take a look at https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=104027

Old 10-24-2004, 02:40 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Here's your pic:

Old 10-24-2004, 03:47 PM
nstyle
New User
I just changed mine out for the first time on my 99 Expy that has 103000 miles. I used some wobble extensions from Harbor Freight and some other extensions. The entire task took about 3 1/2 hours, but the second time can easily be done under 2 total. I would recommend that when using the extensions, just tape each joint with some electrical tape so when you are over the engine you don't drop something into one of the many crevices. Also, removing the fuel rail as much as possible makes things easier. Just watch the blue o-rings to make sure they don't pop off.
I am definitely glad I did it and know that all the plugs got changed and that the coils look good.

Old 10-24-2004, 11:49 PM
CrimsnTide
Senior User
Once again, I HIGHLY recommend the socket by NAPA pictured above. It's ten bucks, but well worth it in my opinion. I've already rented it out once for the grand ol' price of a six-pack, with two more possibilities coming up... It's going to make me money (so to speak) in the long run. There is a lot of good information on this forum on how to do the job with the tools on hand. They all work. It's just that some ways are easier than others. You wouldn't be here if you weren't open to suggestions.

And for chaznolan who posted above. My first thought is for $600, I could send my "Future Ex-Wife" and four kids to the movies AND lunch/dinner or even to Disneyland for half a day while I did this job and STILL be money ahead. Send them away with a couple of hundred bucks, call your friends over to help you or to at least give you morale support. In other words, someone to get you your beer...

Last edited by CrimsnTide; 10-24-2004 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:25 AM
tonum24
Senior User
Originally Posted by CrimsnTide
Once again, I HIGHLY recommend the socket by NAPA pictured above. It's ten bucks, but well worth it in my opinion. I've already rented it out once for the grand ol' price of a six-pack, with two more possibilities coming up... It's going to make me money (so to speak) in the long run. There is a lot of good information on this forum on how to do the job with the tools on hand. They all work. It's just that some ways are easier than others. You wouldn't be here if you weren't open to suggestions.

And for chaznolan who posted above. My first thought is for $600, I could send my "Future Ex-Wife" and four kids to the movies AND lunch/dinner or even to Disneyland for half a day while I did this job and STILL be money ahead. Send them away with a couple of hundred bucks, call your friends over to help you or to at least give you morale support. In other words, someone to get you your beer...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Good answer-we're going to be watching you Crimson Tide!

Quick Reply: Plug change @ dealer & quoted time?