West Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 5_labsownus

Explorer 96

Old 10-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Hillbilly48
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Explorer 96

My wipers, door locks and domelights are going out intermitently, sometimes for days then come back. Any suggestions?

Old 10-11-2004, 04:20 AM
fitter565
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hillbilly48, Welcome to the WV chapter! I would look for a loose ground. Then I would trace down each wire looking for broken or bare wires. I'm sure someone will chime in soon with some other idea's.

Mike

Old 10-11-2004, 10:48 AM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,489 Likes on 1,393 Posts
You may need to get into the dash. Most trucks have the wiring harness for all options and the pigtails for the options are not installed on vehicles that do not have them (electric door locks). The plug where the pigtail and harness meet may not be together good! I have had this happen before even with the locking type plugs. Also you may need to pull the plugs apart and make sure the pins are push into the plug and lock in place. All of the non-water proof plugs (mostly under the dash) have removable/replaceable pins. Some times the pins will push out when the plug is put together.

If this is not the case I would look at the ground as Mike said.

If the Dome lights are electronic controled i.e. auto shut off, auto dim, or turn off when engine is started. The control module may be bad or loose. Many times these modules control many systems and could include the wipers, lights and other alarms!

Search this Thread