Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford Explorer vs Jeep Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 08:58 AM
66beater
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If she wants this for winter driving, then absolutly go for the Jeep.

Assuming you mean conditions were Ice and snow will be her concerns, then the Jeeps will work much better.

1. Higher ground clearance means they can ger over snow banks easier.
2. Unibody construction is less prone to rust from road salt, and Much easier to clean the road salts off.
3. the 4x4 system in a jeep is far supirior, and will handle bad roads, snow, and ice with ease.
4. The command trac transfercase can be driven in 4x4 on wet roads up to 55 MPH according to jeep, though it can't be used on dry roads. It mechanicly locks the axles to turn at the same speed
5. The Select Trac Transfercase has a differintial in the transfercase, and in one mode, will work more like all wheel drive, able to be used on dry roads at highway speeds. it also has a mode that will lock the axles if you need more traction.
6. the lighter weight and smaller size of the jeeps means they will be more forgiving to drive on ice covered roads
7. Much tighter turning radius on a jeep, and fewer blind spots, meaning partking at the mall 3 days before christmass is no problem, even in the snow.
8. Higher safety rating incase of an accident
9. Jeeps have no manual hubs to worry about locking or unlocking, and after 97, they went to a system were there was no vacume locked hum, either. the front axle hubs are always locked and ready to acctivate 4x4, even at highway speeds
10. Jeeps all have a low range, which is great if you need to push over or through a snow bank, or a snowplow burries the jeep some morning.

The Explorer has enough advantages over the jeep in year round driving to make them nearly equil contenders, but if you are looking for a winter vehicle, there realy is no comparison. The jeep was designed to be a 4x4 first, and the GC is just a fancy bodied version of the cherokee (same mechanicle parts, same floorpan) Both evolved into luxury vehicles only after they were established as extreamly capable off road vehicles. The ford was released as an alternitive to the minivans. While it is a capable vehicle, it was designed to be comfortable and practicle.

Old 10-11-2004, 06:30 AM
bcjim
Posting Guru
I doubt 'Mom' will be doing any 4-wheeling. I looked at both. The explorer is bigger inside for sure, otherwise they are similar vehicles, and both pretty nice I thought. I have experience with several Explorers and can say the IRS is fabulous and a vast improvement over the solid axle. Im tired of people suggsting that anyone can go anywhere as long as you have a solid axle, but if you have IRS you'll be stuck as soon as your tires leave paved road.

Old 10-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Ben Alston
Senior User
the Cherokee or Grand Cherokee i think they look better and they would probably last longer with the i-6 or you can just wait for 2006 and get the grand cherokee with the 6.2Litre hemi

Old 10-11-2004, 03:38 PM
CdnCory
New User
I've owned a jeep and recently swithced over to an explorer. I cant talk much about either of them technically, but one major thing I noticed was the the cherokee had more power then my ex, but the ex has proven to be ALOT more reliable...