Any market for filtered VEG OIL as a supplement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 10:52 PM
fordnut74
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any market for filtered VEG OIL as a supplement?

Just wondering if there is anyone that would be interested in buying Filtered Vegetable Oil as a suplement for around $0.75 a gallon keeping in mind that you can use it in up to 50% ratio with no adverse effects or modifications to the motor or fuel system. I am considering whether or not I could help some people lower there fuel bill. And do my part to take some power away from stinkin' OPEC. For as little as an extra $50 you could run up to 80-90% oil depending on your local climate. Anyway, any interest?

Old 10-08-2004, 11:12 PM
broken wire
Senior User
Is this oil fresh pressed from the seed, or is it vegetable oil filtered after going through the cooking stage?, Vegetable oil straight new press in excess of 5% is not allowed (except for our government to use, LOL) it goes outside the limits of astm standards of diesel fuel, Vegetable oil has a bunch of great benefits, raises cetane number, lubricity, helps knock down carbon deposits, cancer causing problems go down, black smoke leaves, blue haze comes in, smell like hamburgers, engine does not knock as loud. Used oil I am not aware of where you are allowed to go in percentages, except for the apperatus of Greasel, and I only know them by there name. Just commenting.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by fordnut74
Just wondering if there is anyone that would be interested in buying Filtered Vegetable Oil as a suplement for around $0.75 a gallon keeping in mind that you can use it in up to 50% ratio with no adverse effects or modifications to the motor or fuel system. I am considering whether or not I could help some people lower there fuel bill. And do my part to take some power away from stinkin' OPEC. For as little as an extra $50 you could run up to 80-90% oil depending on your local climate. Anyway, any interest?
Yes, but this needs to be taken off line. Check your PM's.

Old 10-09-2004, 01:31 PM
fordnut74
Senior User
Yes, but this needs to be taken off line
DOH!, Yeah I wasn't even thinking about the implications, my bad. If I could edit, I would rephrase things a bit.

Stranded wire, this is used waste oil collected from local restaraunts and stores. I have made my own WVO kit, and run it very succesfully in my truck. .I have done quite a bit of experimenting with running it in varying %'s, heated and unheated, and have learned what I can get away with using a stock filter, or aftermarket filter. Been a bit painful at times, but well worth it. I don't believe there is a current federal limit on how much "additive" you can add.

Old 10-10-2004, 09:22 AM
tcdfwilson
Freshman User
I am very interested in the kit for using vegetable oil. Let me know some more details.

Old 10-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Here's some useful web sites. http://www.greasel.com/ www.biodiesel.com.
Also there are forums both here (I think) and at dieselstop for alternative fuels.
I was up at Fordnut74's house yesterday and was impressed with the amount of work that he has done to convert his PSD over to SVO. Nice truck too by the way. He told me he has put about 4 months worth of driving so far on the SVO with no problems other than several clogged fuel filters before he figured out how to properly heat the fuel on board the truck.
Gathering the fuel is going to cost you some time and energy. It has to be strained and filtered before you even pour it into the fuel tank on your truck. Space must be made on your property to do all this requiring several barrels and rather large filter housings, pumps, etc. Apartment/condo dwellers need not apply.

Last edited by Kwikkordead; 10-10-2004 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:59 AM
fordnut74
Senior User
Thanks Kwik, certainly has been an interesting trip. Did some troubleshooting last night and I am pretty sure i have a bad fuel pump. I did some research on the bosch pumps like you suggested, and wound up ordering a bosch # 0-580-254-984 from Schucks in their MASTER equivalent for $116. it has essentially a 1/2" inlet and outlet, rated to flow 55gph, and max pressure of 150psi, nominal of like 75. It is a stock replacement for a 1980 mercedes 280E, with a carburated 2.8l. Why that car needs that pump

TCDFWILSON, another very informational, but little knopwn site is http://www.vegburner.co.uk/votheory.htm . Explains more than you will ever need to know about veg oil theory, properties and etc.

Old 10-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
That is indeed a lot of fuel pump for a carburated car. You'll like the Bosch. Top quality stuff. Lasts for years.

Old 10-10-2004, 11:31 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I did some research on the bosch pumps like you suggested, and wound up ordering a bosch # 0-580-254-984 from Schucks in their MASTER equivalent for $116. it has essentially a 1/2" inlet and outlet, rated to flow 55gph, and max pressure of 150psi, nominal of like 75.
That pump might be too small. The factory Bosch pump on your truck will flow ~75 GPH at 0 PSI, but at 50 PSI it'll pump less than 30 GPH.

Old 10-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by cookie88
That pump might be too small. The factory Bosch pump on your truck will flow ~75 GPH at 0 PSI, but at 50 PSI it'll pump less than 30 GPH.
That's not enough? Cookie I am just a simple mechanic but it seems to me that that's a lot of fuel for the engine to play with.

Old 10-10-2004, 11:47 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
That's not enough? Cookie I am just a simple mechanic but it seems to me that that's a lot of fuel for the engine to play with.
No, no....that's gobs of fuel. I simply meant that the pump that fordnut selected potentially flows less than the factory pump. Bosch # 0-580-464-074 is the factory pump.

Old 10-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Ok, learn a new thing every day. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-11-2004, 12:15 AM
fordnut74
Senior User
No, no....that's gobs of fuel. I simply meant that the pump that fordnut selected potentially flows less than the factory pump. Bosch # 0-580-464-074 is the factory pump.
Given my luck, that wouldn't surprise me, but I have to doubt it, maybe because of all the work I went through to install it. but here are the numbers for the bosch, and some other popular pumps. After looking at the stock pump, I don't see how it can flow 75 gallons/hour. I was looking in the oulet side, and with the fitting removed, it bottlenecks down to at least an 1/8", if not smaller. Either way, I just posted my test results in another thread, and life is good. For the time being

Old 10-11-2004, 12:35 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
I was looking in the oulet side, and with the fitting removed, it bottlenecks down to at least an 1/8", if not smaller
I think it's 3/16". Is the inlet screen in the pump plugged, or have you determined the source of the pump failure? Your stock pump should have been flowing about 20 times what you found in your test.

Are you running any type of pre-pump filter, other than the stock 200 micron screens in the mixing chamber and pump inlet?

It sounds like you have quite a set-up for your WVO, how finely are you filtering it before you put it in the tank.

Last edited by cookie88; 10-11-2004 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:00 AM
fordnut74
Senior User
Cookie come to find out, you were right on most counts Thanks for being there too late . Just kiddin I continued the pump stuff on my "replaced fuel pump, all is right in the world " thread

It sounds like you have quite a set-up for your WVO, how finely are you filtering it before you put it in the tank.
For my final filtering stage I pump it through a baldwin P555823 fuel filter that I get from the local Peterbuilt shop. That is the exact same filter I have on my truck, so I know if the oil passes through it once, it will do it again.

Quick Reply: Any market for filtered VEG OIL as a supplement?