Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2004, 09:23 PM
New User

HighRollin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question That pesky CA emissions control

I am going to be installing a new motor in my 79 bronco (either a 400 or 429). I was told that the 351M only came with a 2bbl carb. When I go looking for carbs, all of the sidenotes state that the 4bbl are not legal in California. Has anyone had any problems with installing a 4bbl carb and not passing the smog test or having any other problems.
Also I am seeing the same problem with installing headers. Again, has anybody had a problem with this.
Thanks for any input
Old 10-09-2004, 03:40 AM
Elder User

DailyDriver is starting off with a positive reputation.
If your Bronco didn't come with a California approved factory 4 barrel then it won't pass the visual inspection. And I believe the CA. smog laws state that you have to replace the engine with what ever came in the vehicle for that year along with all of the required smog equipment.

Other aftermarket stuff such as headers, after marked carbs., and engine componets has to be on the list of C.A.R.B. approved aftermarket parts list for a given make and year or it won't pass the visual inspection. If it doesn't pass the visual, they won't even hook it up to the sniffer.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
You can replace the engine with something newer, as long as you hook up all of the emissions stuff for that engine. A "referee" smog station may have to sign off on it if the regular station refuses to pass the visual on it.

There used to be a "loophole" that you could fit an older engine and be smog exempt. I did that on a 1971 Chevy with a 1964 engine.

Jim
Old 10-12-2004, 10:10 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter