Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Montana Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Montana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: jredline1984

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Post Fiend

Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.
Pheasant huntin'

Well I got this new shotgun... and I'd like to test it out...

I don't know anybody that goes after them wascally pheasants... I've been busting clays right and left, and that seems to be pretty good practice. I'd really like to get out there...
Old 10-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Elder User

RICE H8R is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ahhh...pheasant season. That's a rather fun past time. Course it'd be easier if we had a dog to help chase em up, but since we dont, it's just me and my dad out there walking. We normally get quite a few thru out the year...Partridge and Grouse are kinda fun too.

1995 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4
2006 Arctic Cat SnoPro 440/700efi
1998 Arctic Cat ZR 600efi Custom
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660r

Old 10-07-2004, 09:40 PM
NotSoGrouchyOleFTE'er

Fordlover55 is a splendid one to beholdFordlover55 is a splendid one to beholdFordlover55 is a splendid one to beholdFordlover55 is a splendid one to beholdFordlover55 is a splendid one to beholdFordlover55 is a splendid one to beholdFordlover55 is a splendid one to behold
I hate eating pellets, so I don't do much bird hunting. If I can get away with it, I'll try for a head shot at a Grouse with my 22 though. I was deer hunting a few years ago and had hiked up the side of a mountain and ran into a mess of Blue grouse...they were huge...and dumber than a box of rocks. Unfortunately all I had with me was my 30-30, so I stood there and tossed rocks at them and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. The dang things just sat on the ground and in the lower branches, looking at me like..."huh?" I went home with a couple nifty feathers though.

Dick
'99 NASCAR Edition F-150-4X4
John 3:16
Old 10-08-2004, 12:18 AM
Posting Guru

big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.big hoss 29 has a great reputation on FTE.
This may sound kind of dumb, but what's the bag limit on Pheasant? In Nevada, you can only have 3 in a season, with 1 on you in a single hunt. Sage Hen's are considered endangered there so I never got to hunt any. Chukar's got my attention, damn #!&*%$##@! birds!

"get away from me you unlucky jerk before your luck rubs off on me!"
Old 10-08-2004, 03:46 AM
Elder User

MontanaFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
ummm...Dick...you CAN shoot mountain grouse (blues, ruffies, franklins) with a hunting rifle...screw the rocks, that's actually not a legal means of taking...to be technical, it can get you a ticket...just shoot the dang birds with whatever gun you have along...i do...7mm works wonders at cuttin a bird's head off...lol...just make sure you know exactly where your gun hits, and that you ain't gonna hit the breast bone and explode the only real meat on the carcass...lol...

Michael
Old 10-08-2004, 06:19 PM
NotSoGrouchyOleFTE'er

Fordlover55 is a splendid one to beholdFordlover55 is a splendid one to beholdFordlover55 is a splendid one to beholdFordlover55 is a splendid one to beholdFordlover55 is a splendid one to beholdFordlover55 is a splendid one to beholdFordlover55 is a splendid one to behold
I am aware that you can use a rifle, but I was trying to sneak up on some Muleys we had seen fromway down the road as we were approaching the area. So, I didn't really want to make much noise. When I clean grouse I use the ole step on the wings and pull the legs trick. There isn't much left to do to go home with breast meat. I was so far off the road that if a warden would have happened along, I would have been so startled I'd have had a heart attack if he stepped out while I was tossing rocks. I wasn't seriously trying to hit one..more like a " get the heck outta here, ya little buggers" thing, at the time. I have heard that you aren't supposed to use a twenty ritwofle (.22) to shoot em though...guess I'll have to look into that. Using a shotgun on a bird like a fool hen or a stupid blue seems unsporting to me. And I hate eating pellets.

Dick
'99 NASCAR Edition F-150-4X4
John 3:16
Old 10-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Elder User

fordloverf2501970 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i used to bowhunt for pheasants, here in southeast iowa they are plentifull. we can take 6 a day but only 3 at one time per person. so we always hunt in groups of 4 or 5. we dont need a dog. the new guy always gets to play dog. oh and i have not yet ever taken down one with my bow. i have lost alot of good arrows and winged one once. but all i got was a feather
if it is in english, Thank a Soldier !
Currently truckless and Laid Off!
but i am happy!
Old 10-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Post Fiend

Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.
I might just have to head East to get any pheasant action.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:36 AM
Posting Guru

SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SLE is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
ND Limit is 3 Per day on pheasant with a pssesion limit of 6 - so far far have had 3 good shoots and two reall poor ones. guess thats why they call it huntin and not killin or gettin.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:58 PM
Post Fiend

3 a day here, and 9 in possession...

You're not killing, you are selectively harvesting to better the environment.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:58 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Montana Chapter