Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Dodge stepping up with the new Power Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 09:32 AM
MAC-TRUCK
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking They are just trucks.

I used to be a member of this web site. I logged on to get some info on the new 2005 Superduty. I was just curious. I saw the Dodge powerwagon post and checked out. This truck does not suit my needs but is nice to see it being built. What I can't understand some of the comments from FordLariat. I had to register again to respond. I have owned several trucks over the last 20 years or so. Some Ford, Some Dodges, and some Chevys. I like most all of them. They all have their good points and bad points. I have liked my Fords quite a bit. I had to swap the engine in two, the trans in one. I now have a Dodge 3/4 ton Diesel and like it quite a bit. My last truck was a Dodge as well. I have not had any major problems with them. The fit and finish are very good. I fact I have owned several Dodges over the years and would not hesitate to buy another. True enough the tranys are not that good. I have not had one fail but many do. I also would also not hesitate to buy a Ford. Both brands have served me well. I usually put my trucks way past their limits and they usually hold up fine. If they don't under these conditions it's my problem and not the manufacturers. I don't follow the crowd when it comes to buying trucks or anything else. I don't listen to the marketing hype. I just compare what I see, and try to get the best deal for my dollar. The only brand I don't care for is the Chevy/GMC. I don't care for the low stance, and the car like ride. I won't buy one because of that. They might be very good trucks though. I have read the Duramax is a very good engine. They can produce over 500 HP and 1000 Tq by stacking boxes. No injector swaps or turbo changes. Ford and Dodge can't do that without more parts/money.
As Fords go, the old AOD trannys were junk. The new 6.0 Diesels have had problems in the last couple of years. I hear they have worked that out now. The 2005 Superduty is a good looking truck. I like the suspension changes on this model. I may own another Ford one day, but if I do I won't be bashing Dodge. I am a repeat Dodge and Ford buyer. Remember, they are just trucks.

Old 10-13-2004, 10:01 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Mac thats a great post. You are veryfair there. Hey what serves each person best is not the same for everybody. Your the only post on here that I cant argue with. Welcome back we need your input.

Old 10-13-2004, 11:08 AM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
I'm going to respond to a few things I read on pg.4 after my posts. Dodge is not changing engines like underware-they are offering more choices to consumers. Instead of offering a V10 (which they may, I don't know) they are coming out with a new 6.1 HEMI w/425hp (I'll get back to you about the torque). This doesn't mean they are getting rid of the 5.7 HEMI, they are offering a mid ground between the 5.7 and the Cummins desiel. As far as torque is concerned with Dodge- once again, the 5.7 HEMI has about 2lbs/ft less then the 5.4 triton at 1000RPM after that it has more power throughout the RPM range, the 4.7 V8 from dodge has about 300ft/lbs at 1500RPM and the Cummins-well I don't have to say anything about that. Also, there is a redesigned Cummins being released soon also.

As far as the 6.1 HEMI vs. the Ford V10- I willing to bet the HEMI will beat it, sorry the numbers are too high for me not to believe so.

Old 10-13-2004, 12:24 PM
FRECSF
Senior User
According to the data I get from this link, it looks like to me like GM sales more trucks than Ford.

Ford total - 825,298
GM total - 828,581

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/otf0999.html

I maybe wrong but this link does not support the assumption that Ford sales more trucks. It simply proves that the ford F series model out sales other models.

To make a case that Ford sales more trucks we will need total truck sales not a partion of what Ford sales and a partion of what GM sales and a portion of what DC sales.

Old 10-13-2004, 12:36 PM
biggieou
Elder User
Are you adding in the Ranger and Colorado's etc? Because thats not the discussion. I would hope that GM could sell more than Ford with 2 more models(GMC Sierra and S10 thingy) that Ford offers.

Old 10-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Budly
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordLariat
And what part of what I said isn't true? You didn't dispute ANYTHING, you just attempted to discredit me and slip a curse in.
I am not disputing the facts of the pickup. i am disputing that you dont know what the hell difference any of those things make.

Old 10-13-2004, 03:07 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
FordLariat- You do realize the Superduty only has the largest brakes and Torque and everything else you listed after the fact that Dodge had these things first? Ford just followed suit to be better a year after Dodge had their truck out. Thats just the way things go, I would expect Chevy to come out with a new truck in a year thats better than both Ford and Dodge. They really need a redesign bad.

Old 10-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Dodge and fords rotors are identical up front. Dodge has larger rotors in the rear. It has been shown that dodges stop quicker than fords. Not the point.

As it goes. Dodge and chevy were offering better payloads and max gvwr and Ford now offers them. Its the way the market works. I didnt see ford owners jumping ship because ford was rated 3000 lbs less and had much smaller brakes.

Every year we get something a little better. Its the only way they can keep us trapped in the keep up with the jones's syndrome. Im not gonna run out and buy a new truck just because it can tow 4000lbs more than mine. Im gonna buy one when its necessary. Not for hp or for tow rating but out of neccessity. In fact. I dont like all these electronic controls on my engine. Im thinking of pre 98 emissions trucks. 325hp is rediculous and not necessary to tow the loads these trucks are rated for. If I bought a 6.0 it would be because it gets better fuel mileage than a 7.3 not because its faster.

This truck is awesome and Im glad someone had the gonads to do it. Why pick it apart?

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 10-13-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:07 PM
biggieou
Elder User
Originally Posted by Budly
I am not disputing the facts of the pickup. i am disputing that you dont know what the hell difference any of those things make.
Come on guys, lets keep this clean, please. No need for personal attacks.

Old 10-13-2004, 04:38 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FRECSF
According to the data I get from this link, it looks like to me like GM sales more trucks than Ford.

Ford total - 825,298
GM total - 828,581

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/otf0999.html

I maybe wrong but this link does not support the assumption that Ford sales more trucks. It simply proves that the ford F series model out sales other models.

To make a case that Ford sales more trucks we will need total truck sales not a partion of what Ford sales and a partion of what GM sales and a portion of what DC sales.
I dont get what your talking about. F series sales vs GMs silverado and sierra sales. F series sells 11000 more trucks. Leave any other vehicles out were just talking about similar trucks here. Ford outsells GMs twins on similar trucks. Everything else doesnt count.

Old 10-13-2004, 04:42 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bigbluebronco43
FordLariat- You do realize the Superduty only has the largest brakes and Torque and everything else you listed after the fact that Dodge had these things first? Ford just followed suit to be better a year after Dodge had their truck out. Thats just the way things go, I would expect Chevy to come out with a new truck in a year thats better than both Ford and Dodge. They really need a redesign bad.
Chevy or Dodge has never been better then Ford lets get that out of the way first. Ford just makes a better truck period. Its as simple as that.

Old 10-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
150Ford: Ford just makes a better truck period. Its as simple as that.

Deifne better.<!-- / message -->

Old 10-13-2004, 04:45 PM
MAC-TRUCK
New User
Back to the Dodge Power Wagon

Anybody have any comments on the topic of this thread? It would be alot more interesting to discuss trucks instead of sales figures.

Old 10-13-2004, 04:46 PM
Budly
Senior User
You've been listening to Lariat to long. yes as of right now Ford probably makes a better truck but its not like Ford has always been and always will be perfect. remember the little '03 6.0 bugs or the '97 PSD hardships? Dodge and Chevy have had their share of mistakes as well too. You need to realize that Ford (or any brand) isnt perfect.

Old 10-13-2004, 04:50 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
There not perfect. No truck is but compared to Dodges and GMs there the best truck on the market. Survey former Dodge owners that have switched to Ford. Ask them how they like there Dodges. OOps they didnt buy another one. Nothing else needs to be said.

Quick Reply: Dodge stepping up with the new Power Wagon