Minnesota Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: fordpower88

Help- I need a mechanic!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 02:10 PM
subcoolman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help- I need a mechanic!

Actually, a good friend of mine does. He has a '95-ish F150, 2WD, with a 5 speed tranny that needs work. It sounds to me like some synchro's are going bad/have gone bad, and now he also needs a clutch (disc/plate/TOB, etc).

He lives in St. Joseph, MN, and the truck is still driveable.

Does anyone know a good driveline guy that could do this work for a reasonable fee? He's not rich (who is?), and I would do it for him if I could but I don't know squat about the insides of trannies.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Old 10-05-2004, 09:29 PM
couleeman
Posting Guru
I know a good one here in North Branch. (about 70 miles away) He is the only one I let work on my truck. Also, I have a M5od out of an 89 2wd that seemed in good shape before the neighbor (the mechanic) and I parted out the truck if he is interested.

The neighbor recently replaced the tranny in my truck (M5od) and I am very happy with it. Driveline is his specialty. I know he is always looking for side jobs for cash that he would be willing to make a deal on or even the shop he works at (his inlaws) have always treated me really good.

Old 10-06-2004, 09:15 AM
srod
Junior User
It's not that difficult to put in a clutch yourself, I would suggest a rebuilt fly wheel with a new ring gear from Car Quest for about $35. just about as cheap as turning the old one. you can get a good clutch kit for $110 bucks better ones will cost more.
You should also check out Ford Truck Enthusiasts sponsors websites.(Get a Chilton or Haines repair guide)
You should be able to pick up that transmission at any good yard.
There's a place called Zumbrota Bearing and Gear in Zumbrota MN, they specialize in rebuilding manual transmissions and rear ends, you have to take the trans out of the truck they don't do that, Then get it to Zumbrota they'll probably have one on the shelf you can exchange your core for a rebuilt or they'll rebuild your old one.
They did a rebuild for me on my 1981 F100 300 4speedOD I thought they were reasonable and had a quick turn around time. $650. but my trans was hashed...

good luck
Greg

Old 10-07-2004, 06:34 AM
subcoolman
Senior User
Thanks for the reply, srod, and I'll pass on the info about the place in Zumbrota. I don't know if he'll go for it, though, as he (my buddy) doesn't have the tools (or the back!) to take out the old tranny, and I don't have the time (or the back, either!) to take it out for him.

I've done about 20-30 clutches in my day, but as I get older I find crawling around underneath older, semi-rusted MN vehicles to be less and less fun and more of a PITA. I used to do alot of work on the side, but now if it involves exhaust, driveline, or body work I want NOTHING to do with it. (Well, there's that and the fact that it's getting colder out, and I'm getting tired of working outside in the cold as well.)

It sucks getting old.

Couleeman, would you mind if I gave my buddy your email addy, or somehow set you guys up together? If you don't see this I'll send you a PM in a day or so.

Thanks, guys!

Jim

Old 10-07-2004, 08:17 PM
couleeman
Posting Guru
Yea, go ahead and give it to him. Make sure that he puts something in the subject or I will most likely delete it without even reading it. If I don't respond, just PM or respond to this message to get my attention.