6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 Powerstroke Bucking!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 08:24 AM
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink 6.0 Powerstroke Bucking!

Hello out there....... Anyone out there besides me having trouble with their 6.0 powerstroke bucking and learching forward???? I have had this to a Ford dealer 2 times and they can not fix it....... By the way this is a 2004 and I have only had this truck for 4 months......... Any input, HELP

Old 10-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Bigles
Junior User
Mine will if you park it warm and let it sit 15 minutes or more. Crank it , put in reverse and it will "buck" at idle while you hold the brake and try to back slowly. Drop it in drive and all is fine when you accelerate. Sometimes does it in drive at idle when first started. Only time I have problem is on re-start.
Been scared to take it in for fear of a bad reflash!!
Mileage is 14.5 to 16.
2004 7,000 miles.
Les

Old 10-05-2004, 09:28 AM
utahtom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few questions that may help you get some good specific answers: Does this happen when the vehicle is cold, warm or both? What weight oil are you using and have you checked it for being overfull? Does the engine run fine other than this one issue?

Old 10-05-2004, 10:36 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 04350
Hello out there....... Anyone out there besides me having trouble with their 6.0 powerstroke bucking and learching forward???? I have had this to a Ford dealer 2 times and they can not fix it....... By the way this is a 2004 and I have only had this truck for 4 months......... Any input, HELP
WELCOME to the site, please read the Guidelines… Check out the list of forums and make sure you read the headings and Read First: notices in each forum.

Be sure to check out the 6.0 Bible…..
http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_html/html/TOC.html

…. In the upper right hand corner of your screen, parts!
PARTS SHOP

Enjoy FTE

Old 10-05-2004, 07:30 PM
Superduper
Junior User
6-0 Power Stroke Diesel bucking and lurching

Yer, I have!! 5 months worth and many trips to the dealer without a fix. They finally, finally, brought in a Ford engineer and discovered wire chafing in the engine harness in the same places (2) that Ford "broadcasts" mention.
My truck is fixed and runs great, but I had already filed with DSB, in fact it has already been heard by DSB with no result yet. Incidently these chafing areas and pictures were posted on this site a couple months ago. Get them and bring them to the dealer. Not that it will do that much good if your dealer doesn't have a good cerified diesel tech.

Good luck. It is worth it. When these trucks run, they really run.

Old 10-05-2004, 08:16 PM
New User
superduper, thanks for the info I am new (today) to this site....... running out of places to find answers..... thanks for yours i am going to print it and show it to the dealer on thursday (next appointment) i am not new to Ford trucks but i am new to this site and if you tell me where i can find the pics i will go there...... also what or who is DSB? Help and Thanks

Old 10-05-2004, 08:42 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
superduper, thanks for the info I am new (today) to this site....... running out of places to find answers..... thanks for yours i am going to print it and show it to the dealer on thursday (next appointment) i am not new to Ford trucks but i am new to this site and if you tell me where i can find the pics i will go there...... also what or who is DSB? Help and Thanks
Do a search here in the 6.0 forum for "DSB" or "buy back" lots of reading
You will learn more than you ever wanted to know

Old 10-05-2004, 09:30 PM
LOOnatic
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My truck was doing that symtom and also had a delay in engaging either drive or reverse from park.
After the usual dance with the dealer i finally had the tech call the ford hotline(the tech Bat phone of sorts) and lo and behold they ok'd warranty claim to change an internal tranny solenoid and fluid.

Perfect now even after lots of heavy towing and 12,000 miles.

Hope this helps..

Old 10-06-2004, 12:55 AM
Superduper
Junior User
6-0 Power Stroke bucking

Go to your warranty booklet included with your Owners Manual in your glove box. There, it will explain The Dispute Settlement Board. Then if you need to use this service you may go to your Ford dealership Service Dept. Manager and he will give you another little pamphlet explaining it further along with a one page application to file etc. Easy stuff.
You really don't need to spend a great deal of time looking up the "post" on the wireing harness suspect locations. Your Ford Service Dept. has access to the official FMC generated "broadcasts" in their computor and shouldn't have any trouble bringing them up. The offending areas on my engine were the left rear valve cover area and the right front valve cover area as per the Repair Order. They can be discovered by starting the engine and wiggling the wires in the suspected area and trying to duplicate the stumbling idle or surge. Go gettem.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:34 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
IMO this is not a DSB issue, it is however a problem with your dealership not working you issues...again IMO

Old 10-06-2004, 08:47 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are Ford Technical Service Bulletins that describe "bucking and jerking". Here are:

Wire Chafing Issues:
A variety of driveability issues can arise from chafing/shorting wiring, such as crank/no-start, stall, running rough, misfire, buck/jerk or lack of power. The most common location for this is the valve cover/cover bolts near the FICM or the intake manifold bolts where the harness routes under the air intake hose. The harness should be rerouted and any chafe points insulated with rubber vacuum caps. Other chafe problems can occur where the sensor harnesses route around the valve covers, thermostat housing, idler pulleys, glow plug relay bracket, and near the accelerator pedal assembly (adjustable pedals), and also near the PCM by the battery and near the relay box brackets at the left rear corner of the engine compartment. On Econolines, also inspect at the top edge of the computer, along the oil dipstick tube bracket and auxiliary A/C lines. Broadcast Messages 1407 and 3077

Low RPM, Buck/Jerk, Miss, Stumble:
Some trucks built between 9-29-03 to 4-28-04 may exhibit these symptoms after decelerating down a long grade with the cruise control engaged. To service, the computer will need to be reprogrammed with the latest level calibration release, available with WDS release B31.11.
TSB 04-13-8

I would be talking with the service manager. Make sure that there is a certified diesel tech working on your truck. Ask the service manager to see the tech's certification.

Old 10-09-2004, 10:08 AM
avi8or
New User
Newbie here I have an 04 EX and since I had the first oil change my PSD does the bucking thing. I haven't taken it bak to Ford yet hoping to find some ammunition before I go. Now I'm getting 16.9 mpg overall by manual calculations and I don't want to loose that. 6000 miles.

Old 10-09-2004, 10:16 AM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
Originally Posted by avi8or
Newbie here I have an 04 EX and since I had the first oil change my PSD does the bucking thing. I haven't taken it bak to Ford yet hoping to find some ammunition before I go. Now I'm getting 16.9 mpg overall by manual calculations and I don't want to loose that. 6000 miles.
Curious bubba, but was it directly after the oil change, as in on the way home or starting the next day?? If it was yours is probably because they overfilled the oil and it is foaming. So one way or another you/dealer really needs to drain about 1-1.5qts.

Best of Luck,
Corey

Old 10-09-2004, 10:31 AM
New User
Nope, it started before that...... had just moved from MA. to KY. and thought the temp. was the problem so I cahnged the oil........ it has been consistant since around the 5000 mile point....... called the ford dealership that I have been going to and they do have a certified diesel mechanic..BUT........here we go " he does not see enough of them to keep up" can you believe it.........so I am back at sq.1 and thinking of going back to MA. where people do see enough to know what is going on!

Old 10-09-2004, 01:17 PM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
Nope, it started before that...... had just moved from MA. to KY. and thought the temp. was the problem so I cahnged the oil........ it has been consistant since around the 5000 mile point....... called the ford dealership that I have been going to and they do have a certified diesel mechanic..BUT........here we go " he does not see enough of them to keep up" can you believe it.........so I am back at sq.1 and thinking of going back to MA. where people do see enough to know what is going on!
One thing that would be worth your time is just to follow your harness through your engine bay, and just look for chaffed wires. If you have some you can either wrap them in a really elastic electrical tape, or loom. Wire chafing can become apparent about 5000 miles for some folks, besides you wouldn't have to take it to the dealer. It would be worth an hour or two on a weekend to look.

Best of Luck,
Corey

Quick Reply: 6.0 Powerstroke Bucking!