General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

friends at work

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 04:57 PM
msurie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
friends at work

Do you consider the people you work with a friend? why?

Old 10-03-2004, 04:59 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
At my current job, I'm not friends with anyone, really. At my last job, I met three of my closest friends when I started there in 2000. I just went to one's wedding a few weeks ago, in fact.

Old 10-03-2004, 05:11 PM
theologian
Postmaster
My office is in Texas, my home is in Indiana, my ranch is in South Dakota.. I never see the people I work with, so I know them only by their work - I have met all of them, once, when I employed them, which is not long enough to form friendships..

My personal assistant, is also my constant companion, and soul mate.. so she is a friend, my very best.

Old 10-03-2004, 05:21 PM
matt77F2504x4
Elder User
i work backstage at a theater show. i am good friends with the crew i work with.(lot's of time to goof off). We dont hang out outside of work though. i think when you spend six days a week with the same people and with as much interaction as there is backstage, we get our fill of eachother and could use a day off. The cast is a different story, they all throw parties for everyones birthday and any other occasion they can think of. They always invite the crew but we never go. theyre a pretty cliquey bunch; kinda like high school. but actors are usually like that. i like them but they get quite annoying after awhile.

Old 10-03-2004, 05:35 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have worked with basically the same crew for the last 15 years, minus a couple I tried a "corporate America" type job..and ran like mad from!! The people I work with now, I consider to be good acquaintanences. I love most of them dearly, but I find that except on infrequent occaissions when we may have a bbq, I have to keep my distance. I ,also, am from a different political party than most of the folks i work with...so..... I avoid any situation where they might like to spend time being critical of my party..lol...which is often.

Over the years, I have found that when I work with true friends, eventually if all doesn't go well, you are no longer true friends. My best friend and I took a post cutting contract a number of years back and man..between all of the friends we had working at the beginning.... it was just the two of us and a few strangers at the end. And even my friend and I had some difficulties along the way. Business and friends don't mix real well IMHO.

Old 10-03-2004, 05:53 PM
peppy
Postmaster
People now......maybe a couple at work. No one I could call on in a crunch. but certainly willing to help me out if it doesnt put them out too much. Then, I spend most my time making my co workers work....thats my job.
My freinds are mostly out of state...either I moved, or they moved. Seems no one stays in one place anymore.
My wife has a few big BBQ's a year for people she works with......they usually all go bad one way or the other. People lookin for a reason and place to become drunk and ignorant. Me, I like the people I work with..some anyway. I dont want them at or in my house. Most people would hold that over my head for favortism. Not gonna happen.

Last edited by peppy; 10-03-2004 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess it is a sign of the times , but back in the seventies it seemed as if one could make and keep good friends at work. Nowadays, with workers changing jobs as often as they do, it is hard to really to get to know anyone before they are gone and have moved on to other another job. The workplace now is a lot more aggressive, and people will become a "friend" just to better themselves by being a "friend" to someone in a higher position. This is real prominent as people get higher up in management , they use "friendships" to get in to the companies social circles . It helps them to progress in life by putting to use the old cliche " its all in who you know ". jmo

Old 10-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Fordfanz
Senior User
they to me are friends I know I would be able to count on them if I really needed their help

Old 10-04-2004, 12:44 AM
FarmForward
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shift I work on has seven people, including me. We are a fairly tight group at work, and I can't recall any major flare-up's in the two and a half years this group has worked together, but then again, we don't really socialize outside of work. One fellow I did see once in awhile outside of work got himself a girlfriend half his age who decided that I was a bad influence on him and "forbid" him to have anything to do with me in a social situation, although we still get along at work. But I can tell a difference in his attitude towards me and the others he works with.

I did meet my girlfriend at work (she worked a different shift), and we get along pretty well. I'd call her a very good friend.

Old 10-04-2004, 02:55 AM
Gunsmoke460
Senior User
making friends AT work is ok. but thats as far as id go with it. from my experience ive found a few good friends at work but people are constantly trying to backstab each other. at an old job in a barbeque restaurant in my little town, i thought i had a good friend there i could trust, but in the end she decided to make up lies and spread whatever dirt on everyone just for a raise. You begin to learn that you dont have a reason to trust your coworkers farther than you can throw them. ive always found just joking and talking with your coworkers is fun but dont let them have any edge on you, theyll use it.

Old 10-04-2004, 04:06 AM
FAB150
Senior User
I had to move away from home to be were I work now. The people I work with are pretty much the only people I know so yea they are my freinds.

Old 10-04-2004, 04:52 AM
DainBramage
Posting Guru
I have people at work I'm friendly with, that's about it.
I think I've socialized with someone from this place twice in the 3+ years I've been here. Just the nature of the folks I work with, the fact that with the shifts I work, I only really see 2 people on a daily basis (one of which I despise), and the geograpical separation between us all (the only person I would consider socializing with lives roughly 90 miles from my home.)

Now, where I was before, (several places), I made quite a few friends, some of which I am still close with. Heck, I'm still dating one of em, 4 years later.

Come to think of it, this is the first job where I didn't have a friend inside before I started, at least initially. That's usually how folks find out about "good" jobs, is from friends and family and word of mouth. A customer at my last job insisted I apply for this one. Never thought I'd get it. Now, 3 years later, I know why they hired me, they were desperate...

Old 10-04-2004, 05:30 AM
msurie
Senior User
I see I'm not the only one keeping people a little distant, most of the guys I work with are Polish immgriants and one Turk. all are good workers but would not call them friends and certantly would not want to associate outside of work.

Old 10-04-2004, 08:52 AM
Smaug
Posting Guru
I am not susposed to, that old management consorting with hourly bs. I have several friends there anyway, but most of them I knew before I worked there or I knew their older brother or sister. There is 1 in particular that works for me, we always go to break at the same time. We talk about Ford trucks most of the time, he's got a 2000 F150 Scab. We also talk about computers, xbox games, our kids, movies, music, all kinds of stuff that we both like. There are others I've been to races, concerts, cookouts and other stuff with.
The only special treatment they might get at work is a quicker *** chewing because I don't want any of the other guys to think that there is special treatment. My friends understand that and they usually don't give me any problems. And yes I have had to write a couple of them up.

Old 10-04-2004, 09:02 AM
FordTruckFreeek
Senior User
yeah, my supervisor where I work is a good friend, she's known my mother, and some other family for years, I think may have went to school with my mother and aunt...
Her son is also a supervisor at the same place, but on a different shift, we play guitars on weekends, and hang out sometimes, watch movies, and whatnot.
He was also my super. at another place we worked at.

Quick Reply: friends at work