Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Hello From Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 03:12 PM
95F250NUT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hello From Chicago

Back in 1982 I lived in Pheonix. I was 18 years old and the party place was the Riverbottom, there was only 1 way in if you didnt drive a 4x4 and if you missed it you would sink your truck( I had a 1966 F100 )deep in sand. So i bought a sandrail !! I was able to go anywhere in that area and stop. Nail the gas and my rail would fly !!!! Some 4x4's would get stuck. Im wondering if you guys still go to the Riverbottom to JAM on your trucks? It was the place where all the young people went to hang out. Someday I plan to head back out there for a vacation to see how thing have changed in 22 years. Enjoy you weather out there and be greatfull your not in the Chicago area for the months to come Thanks Guys Tim

Old 10-02-2004, 04:56 PM
ANdrewdrice
Elder User
I dont think you'd like the changes to phoenix. I think its a mad house down there(but I'm from the country). some of my friends go to a river, but I dont know if its the same one though. Hope you swing in and take a gander. have fun in chicago; by the way, the cardinals are going to win when we play you next (probably not, but you know).

Old 10-02-2004, 05:32 PM
95F250NUT
Senior User
The Riverbottom is a dried up valley used for them to open up the Colorado River. This is what Ive been told. Im not really to sure but I lived at 56th St and Indian School and the Riverbottom was east of Central St wich was the East/West divider. The Carnation Co and the Colliseum were right there at the corner of Indian School and Central. I worked at the Midas shop right on Central just noth of Indian School. That is where I began all my intrest in the Ford Truck World. Thanks Tim PS: the Cubs are not doing quite as well as last year

Old 10-03-2004, 03:05 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Everything in and near town is pretty much off limits anymore. If you haven't been here in a long time, be prepared for change. The housing industry is gone through the roof (still). I have a buddy that just bought a house out by the san tan mountains, I live in Gilbert and it takes me 30-45 minutes (SE) to get there. It's insane.

What's worse is that you can't even go hang out at the river anymore. We used to wheel down to the water, back our trucks up and watch all the drunks float by (over by the big bridge). Now it's all barricaded off and they charge you to hang out for the day. Granted it's only $4 but still. Now we're paying for a smelly outhouse and a ghetto barbecue setup. ha ha.

Anyways, things have changed quite a bit out here over the years, some for the good and some for the worse... I guess that's going to happen anywhere though.

Old 10-03-2004, 01:14 PM
5.4AZ4X4
Senior User
Naw, I wouldnt recomend seeing this place now. Its pretty depressing. Remember the Superstition Mountans? Think of it with houses all over. For some reason people here have a notion that its ok to tear down really nice desert land to build a stupid crackerbox house. No more shooting out in the Rio Salado moutain range. Florence will soon be a part of the Valley, Mesa is land locked, there is no more land to build on. Gilbert, which in 1982 was farms will be land locked really soon, but still wants to call itself a town. Its just pretty bad now.

Old 10-03-2004, 01:44 PM
95F250NUT
Senior User
When i was living there I used to ride my motorcycle straight down 56th St to the base of Camelback Mountain and ride up to the top on the road. Looking out at Pheonix downtown there were only 3 buildings that were standing up in the air and there were only 4 houses built on Camekback Moutain - Those were for the extreemly wealthy people. Im sure its mich different now but I still would like to check it out. Thank for your replys guys - I see the Ford truck dudes are still very cool out there in ARIZONA - STAY COOL - Tim