Utah Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Nichalicious

UT: Free 460 (Llama) engine to a good home...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Penguinisto
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UT: Free 460 (Llama) engine to a good home...

(not for sale, for free... dunno if I should still put it in the want-ads, but I figured it would be more appropriate to the UT chapter forums, since I happen to be in UT...)

Bad news: you'll prolly have to machine the crankshaft, definitely have to replace at least one piston (I found pieces of a piston skirt in the oil pan, but the rod didn't throw because all cylinders still had compression), and the oil pan and exhaust manifolds came out of a car, so you'll have to find truck-flavored versions (I swapped 'em when I put my new engine in, and used the car oil pan to keep things nice and oily in the crank.)

Good news: Heads/valves/etc. are in perfect shape, pushrods and (stock) cam should be fine, the block is probably still useable (bore it to 0.60 over?), intake manifold is fine, and etc. The motor was original to the truck (check my signature for truck specs.)

Oh, and it's free. As in - help me get it out of my garage and you can have it

Originally I had some crank lash (#5 piston journal bearing crapped out) in it, and I had a buddy willing to get rid of his just-rebuilt 460 for $400, so it was cheaper to just modify and stick in his, than to fix mine.

I'll be out of town from Oct 8th - 22nd, but otherwise let me know if you want it, then you and I can arrange for you to come out here and get rid of the thing. I live in Layton, which is 10 min. south of Ogden (by Hill AFB), 35 min. north of SLC, and so on.

First serious reply in this thread gets to take it home...

/P

Old 10-01-2004, 02:00 PM
CobraXP
Logistics Pro
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have taken this 3 months ago before I got rid of a 78 F150 (had a 460 in it), but I do have a friend across the street that might be interested. I'll check with him and see - might help you and him.

Old 10-17-2004, 08:52 PM
skybob
Freshman User
Pick me pick me

Hey i want it for sure!. i live in West Haven(about 15 min. away). Let me know when you want me to come and get it.

Old 10-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Penguinisto
Freshman User
Just got back in from Central UTah (may as well bought a Zebra permit for all the good it did me hunting Elk...) but let me get everything in order here and I'll PM you my contact info Monday morning, then we can figure out when, where, how, etc...

Cheers!
(and the wife thanks you for making room in the garage )

/P

Old 10-24-2004, 12:45 PM
skybob
Freshman User
Sweet. Thatll work

Old 10-26-2004, 08:29 AM
Penguinisto
Freshman User
skybob - check your email - details and such are in there

/P

Old 10-26-2004, 11:09 PM
96greenbronco
Freshman User
I saw plenty of elk down here, even called in some big ones! Better luck next time.

Rich

Old 10-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Penguinisto
Freshman User
LOL! I can agree that there was no shortage of mature bulls and cows... Spikes are another matter entirely, at least in my case. I saw a ton of tracks and other sign, but most of it looked like they moved at night. The rain (then snow) didn't help much in the hiking department.

I was damned close to you (Richfield), come to think of it - I even went to the Wal-Mart there one day.

I camped out east of you near I-70; go past Salina, and hit exit 72 (you prolly know where Acord Lakes and the SUFCO coal mine are, yes?) I hunted mostly up around the nipple, but did some wandering about in the Duncans and towards Old Woman road (where it had been fairly dry and elk-less according to some buddies of mine who live in Salina - it was still worth the effort, though.) On opening day, I couldn't take a leak anywhere up there without another hunter seeing me do it, but after that it was fairly quiet.

I do envy you sometimes, though - that's a damned beautiful area.

/P

Old 11-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Penguinisto
Freshman User
Skybob got the motor (and the exhaust manifolds... apparently it's goin' into a car.)

BTW - be sure to let me know how it turns out!

/P