Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Bronco II off-road

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-1999, 10:00 PM
visigoth
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bronco II off-road

I am attempting to prepare my Bronco II for expedition/off-road use.

Does anyone have any suggestions, comments, or word of wisdom on the subject.

What are the weak points of the 1988 Bronco II and how are they corrected?

V7

Old 06-14-2000, 12:48 PM
redbronco2
Senior User
Bronco II off-road

Yeah just one piece of advice, DON'T FLIP IT!

Old 06-25-2000, 03:59 PM
gimps
Junior User
Bronco II off-road

I would have to say, go with a suspension lift.. they don't have much suspension travel. I've taken my truck 4x'in a bit, only problem is when the suspension bottoms out.
And as redbronco2 said, don't flip it. They are some of the easiest trucks to flip.

Old 07-04-2000, 09:13 AM
keiser
Freshman User
Bronco II off-road

Hi,

One, build out not just up, get the rims and tires that will achieve the fullest width footprint. Due to pitch and roll...

Two, if there's a chance you will go through deep water pipe your intake to upper cab height...

Three, Buy a wench...

Four, Always go off-road with a buddy who has another 4x4 they are better in pairs... If you go on your own don't drive through anything you can't walk through unless you have to...

Good stuff on this site,

http://www.jamesduff.com/broncoII/broncoII.html

Another great site(maybe the best)A Bronco II info center with it's own forum,

http://www.homestead.com/Ford_BroncoII/

Most of all don't go into the mud in a broken truck... Nine times out of ten you won't come out... It's like taking a boat out you want to be as sure as you can you will make it back in...

Have fun and ask around I am sure the guys on the forum at homestead will have a lot of comments to make... Have a good one,
Terry...

Old 08-20-2000, 08:51 PM
fordman1504x4
New User
Bronco II off-road

My advice is buy a real Bronco. I mean a full size one. The Bronco 2 is not an off-road vehical in my opinion.

Old 09-06-2000, 03:45 PM
fiddy
Senior User
Bronco II off-road

the B2 is an ok off-road vehicle as long as you don't get into any real off-camber situations. i had an 85 b2 that would take me just about anywhere within reason. my 2 cents....

Old 01-11-2002, 11:22 AM
gollytim
New User
Bronco II off-road

Old 01-13-2002, 09:25 PM
tuff trucker
New User
Bronco II off-road

hey there i have an 88 bronco with a 4" suspension lift with 33" under it and i can tell you that i went ever were that i want to mud, hill, trails you just have to know your truck before you can really push it. like my buddy says drink milk drive slow in the beging...

Old 01-15-2002, 12:56 PM
blacklightningf150
Senior User
Bronco II off-road

Well i once owned an 89' Bronco 2, ok first things first... offset rims with larger tires.. i ran 31x10.5's with this you wont need a lift but you do need an offset rim....plus if its a 2.9L then for power wise any bigger then 31's and its gutless. and invest in a new drivshaft one that doesnt have a CV joint look at both ends one that telescopes at one end would be best... the stock driveshaft is the weekest point on the whole truck as its about the size off a toothpick and will break real easy.. in 1 year i went through 4 of them (at $250 canadian not cheap) mostly cuz of the added pressure of larger tires and angle change... and well a heavy foot
If its an auto your ok but a standerd takes a real beating when off roading expect a clutch replacement in a year of offroading in water/mud im not to experianced with rocks havent been interested in them find them boring.. but anyways... um your exhaust is the next thing it holds in ALOT of power if its stock.. i had a Cherry Bomb muffler on mine with a straight exit out the back it wasnt for the sound purpose just to let out some horsey's cuz the 2.9L lacks alot.. a real good easy and fairley cheap lift is 1/2 ton f150 springs install them in the front of your bronco 2 get and alighnment done afterwards though.. for the back wich is the second weakest point in the truck, the springs ford used were weak if you noticed the ##### end of your rig lower then the front end this is why... i installed a large enough solid steal block under the rear leaf springs to bring it up, then i installed these air shocks i bought from Canadian Tire but are available at just about any auto parts store then inflated them to recomended pressure and installed a shackle kit on the rear springs also with this lift in total you could install 33's or maybe 35's with scrub but i dont recomend it unless you install fullsize axles wich is major $$$ and i recomend venting all your diff's pot's and transfercase cuz they dont run well with water with all this offset rims and tires you can go through a hell of alot... and are very stable my truck was my first truck i owned and you all know what that means it went through hell !! i bought and payed for all work done and did the work myself and with help from friends and family it was great fun !! oh make sure you clean ALL windows off after wheelin its a major fine if you dont !! any other questions just ask... oh and sadley my truck went to Ford heavin late last year as a Rice rocket pulled in front of me my poor truck held up but insurance company didnt want to fix it....

Later

2000 F150 Extended Cab 4x4 Sport all Black !!! went offroadin once ! it was a mistake !!:-X11