General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Need opinions, advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 12:34 PM
Super Uke
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need opinions, advice!!

This might be a little long, but here it goes.
I've been working in the oilfield (buildings) ever since I can remember. Started in summers doing little jobs painting steel, drilling steel braces, etc. After I graduated high school I worked full time for two years before going secondary college for my finance diploma. I then went back to the same company to work in the office doing drawings, quoting and anything that had to be done. The company is a small business with 3 people running the operations (I'm one of them) and 30 employees for fabricating and installations. The money isn't too bad, but not great considering the hours I put in (approx. 3000 hrs/yr). In all my years working I have yet to come to work late, haven't called in sick in 11 yrs and I have only taken my 2 weeks holidays once (my honeymoon)..this was 8 yrs ago. With only 3 people in the office, actually only 2 because the 3rd leaves by 9:00 to measure jobs, it makes it tough to take time off because of the work load. The owners are the other 2 people and they don't take time off much either, 3-4 days here and there and afternoons.

Well I've been pretty un-happy at my job for some time now. We had our first child 7 months ago and I'm realizing that I want to spend more time with the family. Prior to the baby in our busy season, winter, I would work on average 70-80 hrs/wk...now I'm not so keen on that idea. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind working but I beginning to think that from 7:00am-5:00pm and only 1/2 hr for lunch is enough . My wife is on maternity leave and goes back to work in April, she mentioned that once she goes back to work for me to quit my job and do something I would enjoy. Financially I could quit, my wife is computer programmer and makes $20.00/hr more than I do . I "T4" more money at the end of the year since I work more hours though. Our house has been payed off for a 1 1/2 yrs and the only payment we have is my truck. We've even talked about moving to New Zealand of Australia, my wife can get a work visa with not too many problems with computer programming.

Problem is that if I quit I'm sure the owners would shut down the company in a year. They are 58/59 yrs old and getting tired of the oilfield rat race. Then again, I think they are thinking of shutting down in 3-5 yrs anyways. They have offered it to me and they would help with the financing but I don't think I want to take it over with all the headaches. Also, if they left there wouldn't be any experienced office personnel except for myself.

How many of you have changed careers at the age of 34 and was it a good thing??

Sorry about be long winded....I just needed to vent a little!

Old 09-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
I never changed careers, have been doing the same thing for 26 years with six months off, once.
But I'd be on the first dang plane out of Edmonchuck to OZ given your chance.
Goodbye!! to Winter,GST, Paul Martin and And Ralphie!
Hello hot Cleveland V8 Fords, Boss powered Rancheros and beaches!

Last edited by Ringo Fonebone; 09-30-2004 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:04 PM
Kundalini
Elder User
I am turning 36 in December, and face the very same thing...
My job is doomed pretty much, I am in a holding pattern at the moment...
Your family is imortant, go with your gut!
As for the New Zealand idea, I would say go for it!! I would move there in a heartbeat. I loved new Zealand, it is so beautiful and the people are amazing!!!
Dont be afraid of change, embrace it. I will admit I am scared right now too, but I also know I will be fine. I have never been unemployed and have always been OK....
Sometimes change happens for a reason, and think about all the times you have had to change in your life thus far, have they been good? You made it right?
Be Strong!

Old 09-30-2004, 02:13 PM
Super Uke
Junior User
I haven't had too many changes other than getting married, building our house and now our little man . Those changes all woked out great, this will be the biggest change I've ever had to make. We've worked hard to get to our current financial position and I don't want to go backwards.

A couple of years ago I met an owner of a company on a flight back from Victoria. He offered me a job as a plant supervisor.....I should've taken it!!

It's our busy time coming up, actually it's been busy all summer this year. Anybody going to be hiring in 6-7 months??

Old 09-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like you have been an indentured servant to your company. I would do something different before you reach burnout. You only live once.

Old 09-30-2004, 02:31 PM
jenral
Senior User
5 years ago after 15 years I left my job as a Cabinet maker/Joiner and became a youth Corrections officer after 6 months training. I'm not the least bit sorry I did it and now I have the opportunity to combine the 2 and maybe teach some kids a few skills. If I could have done this moving to Ausie or New Zealand, my kid would be eatin shrimp off the barbi by now lol.

Old 09-30-2004, 02:42 PM
JamesF250
Senior User
I agree that family comes first, second, and third.

But, they have given you the opportunity to work for yourself. Is it a successful business? Do you see ways to improve it? Could you hire more people, reduce your work hours and still make a profit? Are they offering you a good deal?

Maybe you could have it all?

Old 09-30-2004, 02:50 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was faced with a similar change at 39 - go to Australia and work at a similar job as a chemical engineer. Sounded great, and I went to Perth for a week in 1998 to explore the opportunity.

First off, I thought Australia would be similar to Canada (been there many times). NOT! Just guessing, but Aussies are closer to British than Canadian. I was in a bit of a culture shock, cars on the wrong side of the road, and I was the one with the accent. The people I was going to work for were, to put it mildly, pompous hick-deads. I did some research and found out the Fords I owned were subject to a 50% tax on their value if I imported them, plus they weren't legal unless converted to right-hand drive (more $$). So basicially I would have had to sell all my possessions (cars, furniture, bank accounts) to move there, with no way of getting back to the USA if I decided to quit. It's also very hard to keep in touch with relatives the way you are used to.

I guess my point is, it's a big leap to go to Australia or NZ. Once there, you'll probably find nice people, but not necessarily work for or with nice people. Do some due diligence before deciding.

Old 09-30-2004, 02:53 PM
camo4stealth
Elder User
I had just stated in another thread, if you want to do something in your life, DO IT! Don't get to the end of the road and look back thinking, could've, should've or would've. You don't know how long you have here anyway, take the plunge. Life is very short, dead is forever.

Old 09-30-2004, 03:00 PM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
I retired from the AF (at 39) and went to work as a civilian contractor (Windows Sys Admin.) at an "un-named" government agency. I drive 600 miles one way each week (either headed home to Ky or here to work in MD). I work 80 hrs in 6 days then I get 8 days off to go back home. The pay is INCREDIBLE, but I sure miss my wife and kids while I'm here.
There's no perfect situation - talk it over with your wife, make the decision together and don't look back...

Scott

Old 09-30-2004, 03:05 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
That is true; life is terminal, there are no survivors.

Old 09-30-2004, 03:09 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My son will be 40 soon, my daughter 3 years younger. As I look back on my life I don't think of the deals I closed or any trophies I earned. I think of dove hunting with my son and watching my daughter cheer at football games. My employer provided the means to support my family and deserved and received my best efforts, but my heart was always at home. Forget the calendar, take some risks and do what is best for you and yours ... you will look back and be glad you did. Good luck.
Dono

Old 09-30-2004, 03:12 PM
vanj
Freshman User
We have had to make career changes in our fiftys.
Living in a small town,we created our own job.
Almost all the jobs here pay minium wage-not enough to support a basic household.
Also when you are up in age, getting hired for anything is pretty slim.
My husband hauls cars out of state and I dispatch and find loads for him.
And yes, life is short.
Cindy 88 F150

Old 09-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
I still cuss my Great grandfather, who, when faced with the choice to emigrate to Canada or Australia, chose Canada. Being Scottish, he saved 2 pounds on the trip in Steerage by coming here.

If I had the choice of enduring 40 below or having to learn to shift with my left hand to drive my 392 horse UTE to the beach, I'd be yelling "Surf's up!!" and be waving right-handed all the way to Bondi

http://www.voyeurmagic.com.au/gallery.htm

Last edited by Ringo Fonebone; 09-30-2004 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:54 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I was in Australia for a week in '98, I could count on one hand the number of pickup trucks I saw on the streets of Perth. When I asked about the lack of pickups, the guys I was with replied "You Americans and your huge vehicles, humff! We don't need them."

I think that perhaps they lump us into a romantic perception that we're all gun-totin' cowboys, much the same way that Americans seem to think everyone in Australia is a Crocodile Dundee clone.

Quick Reply: Need opinions, advice!!