E4OD - How to test the MLPS??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Ironpants
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post E4OD - How to test the MLPS??

Background -
'94 F350 7.3L IDI diesel, e4od auto 350,000 Kilometers - I have put on approx 30,000 of that number.

Problems -
Throws a code 62. Converter clutch error (E4OD)
OD light on shifter blinks after the code is tossed.
Does not happen every day (200 KM round trip - daily)

Things that have been looked at -
1 - TPS was not set correct, this is fixed. (Code 23)
2 - VSS was covered in crap, this is now clean.
3 - Tranny fluid and filter changed, including draing the TC.

Next step I want to do is test the MLPS. Anyone have any help on that?
(I want to test this BEFORE I look at replacing the TC).
My first auto - I am not happy.

Any help on testing the MLPS, or solving the darned code 62??

Chad

Old 12-15-2004, 11:18 AM
99FordF350
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 92 f250 7.3 the overdrive light flashes when riding slow on trails. i dont know what all those letters mean ( MLPS, TPS, VSS ) sorry am new to all of this any help would be great

this is my trail rideing truck so need to get it fixed so i can ride soon

Last edited by 99FordF350; 12-15-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:36 PM
rclarke
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 62 code almost always indicates the need for a new torque converter on diesels. The MLPS will set its own code when it fails. If its the old style MLPS that is not properly sealed you might just change it anyhow. The old style connector has two clips front and rear, the new style has a center pushbutton.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:14 PM
dieselzen
Senior User
ironpants,

Regarding MLPS:

Wrong Gear Starts

Bad or mis-adjusted MLPS
Can cause wrong gear starts, no upshift, falls out of gear, and high line pressure = harsh upshift and engagements. May or may not set code 67/634 (MLPS out of position).

Note
MLPS is located on driver's side of transmission case.

MLPS adjustment
Place manual lever in Neutral. Line up I.D mark on sensor with l.D. mark on plastic bushing. Tighten bolts.

To check MLPS

1. Hook red lead of DVOM to pin # 199 (MLP sensor signal).
2. Hook black lead of meter to pin 359 (sensor signal return).
3. Set meter to ohms.
4. Move manual lever through the different positions and compare DVOM reading to chart below.

Manuel lever position
Meter should read:
P 3769 to 4608 ohms
R 1304 to 1593 ohms
N 660 to 807 ohms
D .... 361 to 442 ohms
2 190 to 232 ohms
I 80 to 95 ohms

Important
If the MLPS needs replacement, use Ford part # E5TZ-7A247-A. This kit includes a new style harness connector. You must replace the connector to use the new MLPS. By sliding the old wire separator from the original connector up the harness you can leave it in place as you install the new connector. This helps to keep the wires in their original location.

Note
Make sure you clean the harness connector with brake clean and apply some dielectric grease to the pins. This will ensure a good connection. Use Permatex part # 67V (dielectric tune-up grease). You can get it at most auto parts stores.

Not saying your MLPS is bad but I saved $40 going to Napa instead of a dealership when I replaced mine.

Regarding Code 62:

Before or after overhaul code 62/628 (TCC slippage).

Code 62/628 will set when the computer calls for LU but does not see

1. Change in rpm (no LU at all- electrical or mechanical problem).
2. Enough of a change in rpm (converter clutch or forward, intermediate, direct or OD clutches slipping). Usually converter clutch then directs.

Cause and correction

Mechanical
Listed by most common

1. Warped or cracked LU piston. This is the most common and number one reason for code 62/628. Ford completely redesigned the piston making it much stronger. LUK manufactures the new piston for Ford and when you buy a rebuilt torque converter always specify that you want it with the updated piston. The rebuilt converter costs more money because of the updated piston but it eliminates the most common cause of code 62/628.
2. Slipping direct clutch (especially common in diesels) Make sure your using E4OD frictions and not C6. All diesels should use 4 frictions in direct. Use only steel sealing rings on center support to prevent high clutch circuit leaks.
3. Pump- A worn pump with excessive side gear clearance will produce low pump pressure, which can be enough to cause the converter clutch to not hold or slip setting code 62/628. Make sure the pump you're using is perfect. If not and you have to replace it Ford has a updated pump assembly with larger gears for increased volume part # F5TZ-7A103-A.
4. Make sure converter clutch shift and apply valves in the stator are not sticking or that the springs are not mixed up.

Electrical
Listed by most common

1.RPM sensor
Diesel only- very common Ford part # E5TZ-17B384-A. May or may not set code 14/211 (RPM sensor circuit failure). A bad RPM sensor can cause LU and/ or the shifls to go in and out (cycle back and forth).

Check RPM sensor with DVOM set to on AC voltage. RPM sensor is
located below the engine oil filler neck in the housing.

Here's how to check it
1. Remove 2-wire connector end.
2. Hook meter leads to pins on sensor. It doesn't matter which way you hook up the red or black leads.
3. Set scale to AC/ 0 to 40-volt scale..
4. Start engine in park. Raise rpm while watching DVOM.
5. Voltage must increase or RPM sensor is bad.

2. VSS
May or may not set code 29/452 (VSS speed sensor signal too low).

Note

Check speed sensor with DVOM on AC scale. VSS is located in transmission tail housing or differential.

Here's how to check it:
1. Remove 2-wire connector end.
2. Hook meter leads to pins on sensor. It doesn't matter which way you hook up the red or black leads.
3. Set scale to AC voltage / 0 to 40 volt scale.
4. Raise vehicle so rear wheels are off ground.
5. Start vehicle, put in "D" and make transmission upshift. Watch meter.
6. You must see an increase in AC voltage or VSS is bad

3. Bad LU solenoid in solenoid block.
4. Bad TOT sensor (transmission oil temperature) in solenoid block
5. Open or shorted wire between LU solenoid and controller.
6. Poor connection at LU solenoid.

Also, is the ground on the FIPL at or lower than 1/10th of a volt (.100 volts on a meter? If not, you need to get it there as it is critical. The MLPS ground and TOT ground are all on the same circuit going back to the PCM. If you haven't got the time to trace out the ground wires, simply splice into the ground wire of the FIPL and run the other end to the ground of the passenger side battery. This will clear up the crap signals going to the computer by the FIPL, TOT, MLPS (direct experience). R.A.

R.A.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:42 PM
chyrslerman
New User
mlps problem

question
does the mpls have direct action on the pcm command for determining the gear the tranny is in. If it is bad could the trans fail to shift from drive to reverse? mine is locked in drive. it does start in P and N will not start in gear just like it is supposed to.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:08 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironpants
Any help on testing the MLPS, or solving the darned code 62??
A bad MLPS can't set a code 62. You need a new torque converter.

Originally Posted by 99FordF350
i have a 92 f250 7.3 the overdrive light flashes when riding slow on trails. i dont know what all those letters mean ( MLPS, TPS, VSS ) sorry am new to all of this any help would be great
You don't need to know what those letters mean to get this fixed. Get the codes read. That's all you need to know. Without the codes you'll spend a lot of money on parts you don't need.
Originally Posted by chyrslerman
question
does the mpls have direct action on the pcm command for determining the gear the tranny is in. If it is bad could the trans fail to shift from drive to reverse? mine is locked in drive. it does start in P and N will not start in gear just like it is supposed to.
The MLPS can't cause your problem. The transmission will engage drive or reverse hydraulically without the electronics. The MLPS tells the computer that you have moved the shifter so it can make the engine idle speed correct and make the engagement smoother. It will make the engagement into reverse no matter what the MLPS does. You have a mechanical problem inside the transmission.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:09 PM
chyrslerman
New User
thank you Mark. I believed this to be the case. Never hurts to get a good second opinion. will rebuild with 3 fan torque converter and new HD shift kit wit clutches and steels.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:21 PM
mudbogger93
Junior User
Help

I am not really sure whats wrong with my transmission its a 90 model E4OD and it doesnt go in third gear just straight to fourth. i let a family member borrow it one day and supposedly they turned right and it just died.. i went to check it out and it had no fire and no power to the fuel pump replaced the ecm and the fuel pump relay and this other relay that controls fire and then i found out it wouldnt go into 3rd gear anymore have no idea what it could be.. thanks for any help

Old 11-03-2011, 12:36 PM
rmalottwtes30
Posting Guru
What was the part number you used for the napa mlps?

Old 11-03-2011, 01:56 PM
dieselzen
Senior User
NAPA Echlin NS6528

Old 02-09-2019, 08:02 PM
restoman92
Senior User
Would like to know about the 90 ford skipping third problem. Mine is doing this also.