1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 08:44 AM
snipa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough ride

My 53 f-100 has original springs. Would some delux shocks help to smooth the rough ride (very bouncy, and near whiplash when I ride over train tracks)

Or do I need new springs?

I want to avoid going custom
Thanks
Todd

Last edited by snipa; 09-29-2004 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:55 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by snipa
My 53 f-100 has original springs. Would some delux shocks help to smooth the rough ride (very bouncy, and near whiplask when I ride over trian trackS)

Or do I need new springs?

I want to avoid going custom
Thanks
Todd
Todd,

What you need is a suspension update. The Volare IFS rides very smooth. But, if you intend to keep the old suspension, the best you can do is remove some of the leaves in the springs (assuming you don't need maximum load capacity) both front and rear and put button sliders or teflon between the leaves. This will also lower the truck some. If your shocks are worn, new shocks may help some, but don't expect miracles. It's still a buggy spring suspension...

Vern

Old 09-29-2004, 09:20 AM
Third Coast
Junior User
Along the same lines, what shocks would those on the board recommend as replacements. I intend to leave my 50 model stock but do need to install some new shocks.

Old 09-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do you mean by bouncy? Is the suspension very stiff or does the truck keep bouncing up and down for a while after you clear the tracks? If you are like mine on the rear, then they are just too stiff. My 54 doe not carry any load in the bed, so I have reduced the number of springs down to 5. I plan on making that 4 (ala Dewayne's recent adjustment) this fall.v If it continues bouncing, then it sounds like the shocks. Good luck, John

Old 09-29-2004, 09:52 AM
snipa
Senior User
Thanks for the reply's guy's

The ride is very very stiff- so I'll try reducing the spring # like you've suggested.
Do you pound them out 1 at a time? Is there an article for this?
I'm so glad there is a site like this
Todd

Old 09-29-2004, 10:04 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Do a search on springs and rough rides. There have been many threads on this topic. The whole shebang has to be removed except for the longest spring. After the center retaining nut is removed, the bolts that hold the springs in the shorter spring brackets are removed, then the large c-bolts that hold the springs to the axle can be removed. Use good jackstands, John

Old 09-29-2004, 10:52 AM
oldjeep
Senior User
A 50 year old truck that was built to be used as a truck rides rough? Hard to believe

GreatNorthwoods - you obviously have no idea what a buggy spring is

Old 09-29-2004, 11:44 AM
don1077
Junior User
Snipa: I had the exact same thing. I did a total front end rebuild to get rid of any slop. Pulled leafs from the front, I am running with 4 now. I went with
a set of good quality gas shocks up front. I also installed the plastic spring
liners between each leaf after sand blasting and filiing burrs off all the ends and edges of each spring. The ride has improved a good bit, but the term "rides like a truck" came from these solid axel front ends.
Ps those liners came from Mid fifties. Also I was advised by the local spring guy to keep the 2 longest spring leafs. This will drop the front end about an inch. you can see the results in my gallery.

Don

Old 09-29-2004, 04:32 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone complains about the ride in these old trucks. You have to remember what you are driving, a truck! They were not designed like today's trucks, which are nothing but a car in disguise. They were meant to carry a load, haul lumber, etc... AKA.... work! Gas shocks are the best way to go, make sure all your bushings, etc.. are tight, steering box is tight and adjusted properly. Then it will ride like it was engineered to do, a 50+ year old truck. I think we've all been spoiled by the way newer vehicles ride and try to compare them to our antiques. It's like comparing Filet Minon to hamburger. I expect my 50 to ride like a brick, but that's half the fun of driving a old truck.

My 2 cents......

Barry

50 F-1

Old 09-29-2004, 08:18 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
1948 - 1960 Ford Trucks - Built Tough - Ride Rough. Enjoy the advantages of Big Arm Steering, 50 X 2 Open Window Airconditioning. Comes equiped with all the Rattles, Sqeaks and Groans you'll ever want.

Old 09-29-2004, 08:40 PM
JDMick
Senior User
I've got the monoleafs on my truck but I couldn't tell you if they're any better than multileaf or multileaf with some leaves taken out since I replaced them before I ever drove the truck. Maybe somebody knows. One thing I do know is that not all new trucks ride like Cadillacs. The ride on my 2003 Dodge 3/4 ton 4X4 with a straight axle front end isn't much better at all than my 50 Ford. It needs at least 500 lbs. in the bed to smooth things out. The old trucks at least had some springs in the seat to help things out. Of course the trade off is the bouncing but that's part of the fun of driving these things!

Old 09-29-2004, 10:17 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
I'm not sure what a "good" ride in a truck is supposed to be. There's a truckload of subjective on this subject. My late model ('01) truck drives just like a truck. I'm pretty sure we won't agree on what kind of ride our trucks should offer. We're all different, our trucks are different, as are our needs and on and on into the direst tedium.

The advise offered, on the other hand, is the best to be had anywhere. Bounce on there, whiplash and enjoy. best. himmelberg

Old 09-30-2004, 02:47 AM
James 3F1s
Freshman User
Put 4 or 6 100lb bags of sand in bed cheap ride adjustment add more or less.

Old 09-30-2004, 07:27 AM
55Bubba
Senior User
My truck was doing the same thing and I put on some new Monroe Gas Truck shocks and tightened up everything in the steering system including new steering box and it rides absolutely wonderful.....for 50 year old truck ! Looking forward to removing some springs to get the ride a little smoother.

Good luck

Bubba

Old 10-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Midnite Cruiser
Senior User
We love that extra headroom on our straight axle trucks. Keeps us from breaking our necks when crossing RR tracks at 10+mph

Quick Reply: Rough ride