Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Seeing lots of Dodges lately

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 07:39 AM
LAL426
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeing lots of Dodges lately

I have seen lots of the Dodge 1500 on the road lately and hardly any of the F150's. A friend of mine states that the Dodge is rated much higher than the F150, but I remember reading the complete opposite (of course he has a dodge). I thought that I read prior to buying the F150 that the it was rated higher than the Dodge. I have not been able to find any ratings on the internet that I can show him rating the Ford higher. I know that the Ford is rated higher and so I want to prove it to him. Can anyone help me out and send me some poor reviews on the Dodge and good reviews on the F150? And why so many 1500's on the road lately? Thanks

Old 09-28-2004, 08:28 AM
MX2004
Senior User
A lot of people here in south Texas have more new Dodge than more new F150's. They're really cheap now. A co-worker here bought a single cab for $13k. Not sure of the engine size but 95% of the new Ram's I see are super crews. I've seen advertised on the newspaper: 2004 Dodge, Crew Cab, Line-X bedliner, power everything, 20" wheels, for $18K. Maybe it's not that they're getting good reviews, it's probably just that they cost less.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:07 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MX2004
A lot of people here in south Texas have more new Dodge than more new F150's. They're really cheap now. A co-worker here bought a single cab for $13k. Not sure of the engine size but 95% of the new Ram's I see are super crews. I've seen advertised on the newspaper: 2004 Dodge, Crew Cab, Line-X bedliner, power everything, 20" wheels, for $18K. Maybe it's not that they're getting good reviews, it's probably just that they cost less.
Go drive one and then tell us which you think is better. They're junk compared to the Ford.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:36 AM
ATCS2004
Senior User
A friend of mine has a 2004 Dodge and now wishes he'd bought the Ford. It has been in the shop continually and has had two transmissions replaced. Stick with quality "FORD"!!

Old 09-28-2004, 11:37 AM
blkFRDf1504x4lar2004
Senior User
Prior to purchasing my Ford, I test drove the Dodge 1500 Larami, Hemi. Nice looking truck, but the interior didn't look as good. The Crew Cab back seats was very uncomfortable. No sunroof option. Interior noise. Ugly swede inserts. If those examples are where not in my priority list, then Dodge would have been my second choice.

One of my neighbors told me that you have to pull the engine to change spark plugs. Thats the big reason I did not buy and I went with Ford F150 Lariet.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:52 AM
PaulC
Posting Guru
Ever change the plugs on a Triton?

Old 09-28-2004, 12:08 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MX2004
You get what you pay for. Dodge is just that cheap. In the end the Dodge willcost you more then the Ford. Most of these new Dodge owners are people that have never had one. Once people have a Dodge they never have another one. Does that tell you something.Like the poster said Dodge is junk. GM trucks are getting close to that status too. Every component in them is cheap. The only good truck anymore is Ford. Yeh I see alot of Dodges around myarea too. Sad. I feel sorry for them. Dodge=avoid if possible. BTW explain what you mean by Dodge rating higher or Ford rating higher.

Last edited by 150ford; 09-28-2004 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:19 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moved to appropriate forum

Old 09-28-2004, 12:23 PM
F-Deuce50
Senior User
I have change the plugs on my Triton V10. It's not easy work. It took me a few hours. But I got the hang of it. Oh, there were 10 plugs.

Old 09-28-2004, 12:38 PM
blkFRDf1504x4lar2004
Senior User
A
Originally Posted by PaulC
Ever change the plugs on a Triton?
I have not. You maybe thinking of the exploding spark plug known to the old trition.

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width=650 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>The Triton features lengthened piston skirts, cracked, powdered piston rods and centrally located spark plugs </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The all-new 5.4-liter, 3-valve Triton™ V-8 engine is designed with three valves per cylinder, variable cam timing and a host of other features that provide increased power – especially at low engine speeds – along with improved refinement and efficiency.
The new engine delivers 300 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and 365 foot-pounds of torque at 3,750 rpm. The all-new, aluminum cylinder head – with two intake valves and one exhaust valve per cylinder for 24 valves in total – and an improved cast-iron block balance impressive power with better fuel efficiency and quieter operation.

This new technology builds on Ford’s proven modular V-8 engine platform. Its predecessor, a 2-valve version of the 5.4-liter Triton™, has been named to Ward’s 10-Best Engines list six years running. It isn’t a single technology but rather a suite of enhancements that deliver these consumer benefits.
The new engine will be Ford’s first modular V-8 to use variable cam timing, which allows Ford engineers to optimize intake and exhaust valve actuation across the engine speed range. It is the industry’s first mass application of dual-equal variable-cam timing, which shifts the intake and exhaust valve timing together.
Variable camshaft timing allows the valves to be operated at different points in the combustion cycle, to provide performance that is precisely tailored to specific engine speed and load at that instant. The driver does not notice that the cams are changing, but recognizes that there’s more power when it is needed.
In combination with precise control of spark timing, fuel injection and use of electrically controlled Charge Motion Control Valves in the intake runners, this technology produces improved power and torque, particularly at the lower engine speeds that are so important to applications such as towing and heavy hauling.

With all-aluminum heads, single overhead camshafts, magnesium camshaft covers and a clean-sheet design approach, Ford’s engineers were able to develop a three-valve-per-cylinder engine that has virtually no weight penalty compared with two-valve V-8 engines. The three-valve head is dimensionally smaller than the two-valve design for the 5.4-liter engine, while offering more rigidity and strength. It also is easier to manufacture.

At lower speeds and lighter loads, the new Charge Motion Control Valves (CMCV) – located at the end of each intake runner – are specially shaped to speed up the intake charge and induce a tumble effect in the combustion cylinder. This causes the fuel to mix more thoroughly, and to burn quickly and efficiently, with reduced emissions, particularly at idle.
The CMCVs are controlled by an electronic motor, and open at a predetermined point as engine speed increases. At higher engine speeds, they do not affect the intake charge at all. This allows undisturbed maximum flow into the combustion chambers at wide-open throttle.
New on both the 5.4-liter and 4.6-liter engines is a segment-first torque-based electronic throttle control that uses driver input from the accelerator pedal to actively modulate the torque at the drive wheels. It is a direct descendant of technology first used in fighter aircraft.
Replacing the mechanical throttle linkage is an accelerator position sensor, an electronic control circuit and an actuator at the throttle valve on the engine. The controller takes into account the current operating status of the engine and ambient conditions, and then operates the throttle as needed to best deliver the desired result.
This produces seamless and consistent engine response, improved fuel economy and enhanced integration of vehicle systems, such as the transmission, variable camshaft timing, vehicle speed control and idle speed control.

Last edited by blkFRDf1504x4lar2004; 09-28-2004 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:39 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 150ford
You get what you pay for. Dodge is just that cheap. In the end the Dodge willcost you more then the Ford. Most of these new Dodge owners are people that have never had one. Once people have a Dodge they never have another one. Does that tell you something.Like the poster said Dodge is junk. GM trucks are getting close to that status too. Every component in them is cheap. The only good truck anymore is Ford. Yeh I see alot of Dodges around myarea too. Sad. I feel sorry for them. Dodge=avoid if possible. BTW explain what you mean by Dodge rating higher or Ford rating higher.

Bottom line - looks sell and it's a sharp ride....

Old 09-28-2004, 01:08 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Bottom line - looks sell and it's a sharp ride....
What is a sharp ride

Old 09-28-2004, 01:36 PM
biggieou
Elder User
Please tell me you dont mean the Dudge is a sharp ride????? Those things are God-awfully ugly.

Old 09-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by biggieou
Those things are God-awfully ugly.

I'll second that.

But, they got a hot hemi and they are cheap. Fast and cheap was what sold Mustangs, in the beginning too.
The formula works.
Just don't try and get me in one of those fish-mouthed contraptions.

Old 09-28-2004, 02:42 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
That is why I asked the question, he has me worried about his taste.........in trucks

Quick Reply: Seeing lots of Dodges lately