1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Take the plunge

Old 09-27-2004, 07:47 PM
50s effy fan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take the plunge

What is it worth? ...yeah, I know - 'whatever your willing to pay!'...here is my question explained: I have decided to take the plunge into the classic pick-up truck world - something I have wanted to do for a long time...crazy, I know, but 'male menopause' has set in. Later this week I am going to 'investigate' a '57 (sentimental favorite) short-bed, custom cab, w/272, 4 on the floor and running...the seller says it's all there (except original wheels and 'caps), needs interior work, has "some" (?!?) rust in the door bottoms, foot wells and behind the seat, "minor" body work on a front fender, needs paint - all primered, speedometer and gas gauge aren't working, but it has a new clutch - all for the asking price of $2500. So, where does this price fall in the range of what you folks have seen 'out there', given this vague, unseen condition? And - give me a heads-up as to what I definitely should be looking at/for during the 'investigation'!

Thanks in advance for your guidance and advice to this new member's insanity...

=50s effy fan=

Old 09-27-2004, 07:56 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Body condition is everything. I would take a good body with the drivetrain missing over a good running truck with a bad body. Examine every panel closely. If the motor blows tomorrow you can recover in a month. If you drag something home with every panel full of rust or bondo, you'll quickly be in deep. Both money and time.

I'm certainly not an authority on 57 values. My wild guess is $1500 may be generous if it runs and drives pretty good. It sounds like it needs a serious body resto to be a real nice truck.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:30 PM
50s effy fan
New User
Thumbs up

...thanks for the sage advice, fatfenders...I hear what you're sayin' and will inspect thoroughly...

=50s effy fan=

ps - my second favorite effy is a '51 w/flathead V8

Old 09-28-2004, 01:37 AM
OldSchoolRodz
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watch that Primer

People use it to hide a month of sins. Happy Hunting

Old 09-28-2004, 11:28 PM
50s effy fan
New User
Thumbs up

...thanks deuced - good point! I'm hoping to take along a 'rod pal I know who has a trained eye... =50s effy fan=

Old 09-29-2004, 10:13 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
57 trucks are OK in y book but not as easy to get parts for. Also resale is not as high for 53-56. Rust through is difficult and expensive to fix. If you really like this truck, then I would offer him $1000. If he says no, then it wasn't meant to be. Don't marry the first girl you dance with. John

Old 09-29-2004, 02:34 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Make sure the bed is in good condition!
Nobody makes patch panel's and the rear corners rust out.
Check the front cab mounts(right triangluar steel mount under the front of the cab.
Check the door hindge area,
cab corners,
cab inside steps,
drip rail,
floor,
hood lip towards front
bottom of the front fenders.

The truck you described and the price seem to high. I would only pay $2500 for a completely rust free and it would have to have no modifactions. Is it a small or big rear window? That can adds as much as $500 to price. Offer him $1500 and show up with cash in hand. Give him your # and unless an idiot comes along, he will probably still have the truck 6 months from now.

What ever you do, don't get screwed over for a half-*** truck. Speaking from experince here since we spent about $2000 too much. -4speed

Old 09-29-2004, 03:37 PM
85IDIDiesel
Junior User
I might have a truck you would be interested in if that doesn't work out. It's a 60 and has a six cylinder but still basically the same truck as the 57

Old 10-05-2004, 02:27 AM
50s effy fan
New User
...well, it's worth considering, and I appreciate the option - your truck's condition? photos? (a50seffyfan@yahoo.com) - thanks...

Old 10-05-2004, 02:36 AM
50s effy fan
New User
...thanks mr4speedford - great help and advice for this rookie! I have enlisted a local hotrodder pal who's been there / done this many times before. I am treading slowly - and I like your buyer's strategy - offer less and wait him out!

...curious question - when you refer to "big window" in a '57, do you mean a wrap-around? (this one is not a wrap-around)

Old 10-05-2004, 02:53 AM
50s effy fan
New User
...thanks Jag Red 54 - the first crush is hard to get over, but you're right - dance slow with 'em all, but promise nothin'...hmmm...I almost married my first dance partner - and "almost" was the right decision! - may have to dance a bit more - especially on price!!

Old 10-05-2004, 03:27 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

The "Orphan Years Trucks" '57-'60, are the Best & the most ignored till lately.
I've been finding more & more places that are starting to carry parts for them.
We are the trend setters that started it all for the later Style Side trucks.
The '57s are unique though, I've a '56-'57 Parts & Accessaries Catalog & as I recollect it shows that the '57 uses some parts off the '56.
Speed I believe brought this up Previously in another thread.
If you really have your heart set on a '57, don't let it be turned & if neccessary keep looking if this one doesn't work out for you.
Though I prefer '58s, '57s are nice & are the First of their kind.
But I believe Speed to be correct, 6 months or less if he doesn't take cash right then & there for the olde gal.

Cheers
Colonel Flashman
Red '58 Mercury M-100 Truck
Blue '58 Mercury M-100 Panel

Old 10-05-2004, 04:18 AM
50s effy fan
New User
Col Flashman - Thanks for your input. I have made one visit to the '57 thus far, and was not disappointed...minor rust in the usual places, but altogether a good running original truck. I am taking an experienced hotrodder friend who does most of his own restoration/customizing work - has all the tools and skills. His assessment will be key to what I finally pay and do, but I am getting the general impression that $2500 may be high for this one. Although, I have seen 'fatfenders' in worse condition going for more, I guess it's justified by their high demand. But, the '57 is my all-time sentimental favorite, as I believe it was the first pick-up truck my Dad owned (he is looking for some photos because we are arguing as to whether it was a actually a '59?!?), and that I ever rode in - to many great places and memories...hard to put a value on all that, I know, yet, '57's are one-of-a-kind, and as rare as they are their value has to keep going up (rationalizing all the money I know I will keep 'investing' throughout all the phases of restoration and customization I plan on doing to a '57 someday - keeping it all-Ford, of course!). My bet is '57-60's will continue to grow in popularity, especially if we all presereve, restore, and/or customize them with the respect they deserve! =50s effy fan (originally from Altadena)=

Old 10-05-2004, 04:31 AM
50s effy fan
New User
Col Flashman - on another note...I realize that the 58-60 front grille went to dual headlights - and yes, Mr. Ford was not wasteful of extra year-before parts that seemed to find their way on to next years model until depleted - but what other significant (major/minor) differences are there in this series of trucks? Why do you prefer the '58s? Was '59 Ford's first 'factory' 4WD pick-up? (I'm on my way to the car-book store to invest in some literary enlightenment...) =50s effy fan=

Old 10-05-2004, 04:54 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

The '57-'58s I believe can swap just about everything, in '59 FoMoCo went to the Rectangular Turn signal on the Valance, restyled the Hood & Grille.
Then in '60 they did another restyle to those same parts & neither '59s, nor '60s front sheet metal well swap w/ their earlier '57-'58 siblings, unless one changes out Everything.
I'm the 3rd family member to own my '58 Mercury M-100 truck, which was I believe was the first truck I ever got to ride in & I just like the way the Style Queen looks.
She was a working ranch truck for 40 years out in Riverside County.
'59s were indeed FoMoCo's first factory 4x4.

Originally Posted by 50s effy fan
Col Flashman - on another note...I realize that the 58-60 front grille went to dual headlights - and yes, Mr. Ford was not wasteful of extra year-before parts that seemed to find their way on to next years model until depleted - but what other significant (major/minor) differences are there in this series of trucks? Why do you prefer the '58s? Was '59 Ford's first 'factory' 4WD pick-up? (I'm on my way to the car-book store to invest in some literary enlightenment...) =50s effy fan=

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Take the plunge