Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Spark Plug Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 03:22 PM
jjcaldwell
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug Replacement

I have 2001 F250 - V10, and I have heard about a problem with Spark Plugs not being torqued to the proper specification. Does anyone know what this is about? If there is a specific torque spec for plugs, what is it?

Old 09-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
jj,
Do a search here on spark plugs and you'll get all the info you need.

The specs call for 7 to 14 lb(ft), but you can only get that if you apply an anti-seize lubricant. FYI, I stick to the 14 lbs of torque.

Old 09-27-2004, 05:32 PM
motochris
New User
This may sound stupid, but I'm scared to death to touch mine! Most of the time when you hear of a plug blowout, it's after the plugs were changed or checked. At least thats what I've seen. I'm hesitant to even go near them!

Old 09-28-2004, 08:24 AM
Stan Birch
Junior User
Originally Posted by motochris
Most of the time when you hear of a plug blowout, it's after the plugs were changed or checked. At least thats what I've seen.
From what I've seen, most blowouts occur before the plugs have ever been changed; and might be attributed to faulty installation/torquing on Ford's part. I changed mine at 50k miles; and it took a fair amount of effort to break them loose. They were secure enough that I had no reason to suspect that they would ever come loose on their own.

The jury is out on whether to use anti-seize on plugs. Ford didn't use it on their initial installation. A lot of Ford mechanics don't use it; and torque the plugs to 18 lb. I used anti-seize very sparingly, and cut the torque down to 15 lbs. I will go over them again in a year, just to make sure that they continue to be properly torqued.

Ford has redesigned the plugs, allegedly to fix the blowout problem. One of the problems with the old plugs was the finish, which would lead to premature loosening of the plug unless the stuff on the shoulder of the plug was sanded clean.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stan Birch
The jury is out on whether to use anti-seize on plugs. Ford didn't use it on their initial installation. A lot of Ford mechanics don't use it; and torque the plugs to 18 lb. I used anti-seize very sparingly, and cut the torque down to 15 lbs. I will go over them again in a year, just to make sure that they continue to be properly torqued.
Stan,
Was there ever a comittee formed to look at the use of anti-seize? I know that there has been (since the dawm of time, I guess ) a problem with material contamination between carbon steel and aluminum/alum alloy; hence, the need for anti-seize.
Ford has redesigned the plugs, allegedly to fix the blowout problem. One of the problems with the old plugs was the finish, which would lead to premature loosening of the plug unless the stuff on the shoulder of the plug was sanded clean.
The design change of the plugs apparently does nothing for the blowout. Even though I went along with it at first, I now see it as “focus folly”. Longer threads on the plugs? What does that do for the lack of threads in the head?

As far as the surface finish: I agree to a certain extent, but to further the cause – the seating area on the head for the plug must mate the plug seating area itself.

Clear as mud?

Old 09-28-2004, 09:06 PM
LH1
New User
Ron,

So you are saying that we can't be guaranteed that the sparkplugs still won't be blown out of the aluminum heads on the 2005 V10's?

Lars

Old 09-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Lars and welcome to the forum

The 05 uses a different spark plug design than the earlier ones so hopefully there wont be problems with them. I haven't heard of any so far anyway.

Ron I've replaced lots of plugs in the modular engines and have never used anti-seize on them and haven't seen any problems because of it. One of our Ford reps told us not to use it because it can cause ignition problems. I really didn't buy that but I figured that if they didn't use it from the factory it was probably ok not to use it. I think it's probably a case of doing it how you feel it should be done and neither way is wrong.

Old 09-29-2004, 07:25 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Lars,
I have a problem with the whole plug cavity/thread-length-in-head design in the first place - pet peeve, ya' know. Plug blowout is not recognized as a problem by Ford - bottom line.

I think that they have tightened inspection on plug installation and torque, though. But, let me say that I have not seen nor even heard of plug blowout around this part of the country, so I'm confident that the installer and his methods are the key.

Dave,
I can't see how anti-seize will damage anything either - if you use it only on the threads and not let it get into the cylinder. And I can see how using it could be a security blanket.

Maybe one day we'll find out why some blow and some don't.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe one day Ford will figure out that cutting costs by only using half the number of threads in a spark plug hole isn't a good idea

Old 09-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Roadrunner2
Senior User
Ha,ha Racerguy, I think they have already done that! LOL

Old 10-01-2004, 10:40 AM
LH1
New User
Roadrunner,

Do you have a documentation source you can provide that says they have more threads in the aluminum heads now?

Old 10-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Roadrunner2
Senior User
LH!,

No I don't other than a Ford Tech saying he heard that 2003-04 there was a head change to increase the number of thread retaining spark plugs. But, don;t go to the bank with that one because you and I know a lot of BS floats around dealerships. I can say I have not heard of a 2003-04 V10 blowing plugs yet. There have been several I know about 2002 and down.

Old 10-01-2004, 02:41 PM
simulatedjim
Freshman User
I've read that plugs blow whether they have been changed or not. I'm leaving mine in until 100K or don't work.

Old 10-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Roadrunner2
Senior User
SimulatedJim,

I have heard the same thing too. I too am leaving mine alone. If she blows, she blows. I will do the inserts.

Old 10-14-2004, 02:22 PM
F-Deuce50
Senior User
I just changed my plugs on my '99 F250 V10. And let me say I had one plug blow out after replacing them. Got me thinking maybe I should check all 9. Did so, and they were fine. I guess and didn't torque that one plug enough. I bought a new plug and retorqued. By now the truck runs fine. I guess if I would've taken it to the dealer they would've told me I needed new heads when afterall I didn't torque the plug to it's specifications. I'm just a young mechanic learning the new technology of FORD.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Replacement