Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2004, 09:45 AM
New User

dbrasier is starting off with a positive reputation.
Starter Interrupt Relay Question

I did a search for this, but didn't find what I was looking for. Hopefully someone can be of some help?

I have a 2000 Ranger Extended Cab 2wd 3.0 V6. It just started having a starting problem. Sometimes it will start, and sometimes nothing except what sounds like a relay 'clicking' under the glove box. I located the relay - it's on a metal bracket mounted directly under the glove box and can be seen from the passenger seat. From looking at the Haynes manual, it appears this might be the Starter Interrupt Relay? As I said, it does 'click' when I turn the key, so is it necessarily bad, or would there be another problem? I checked the battery and it's fine. The radio and everything else works. It just won't start all the time. Sometimes it will start on the first attempt, and sometimes it might take considerably more tries...

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Posting Guru

hreed is starting off with a positive reputation.
Next time it acts up, try tapping the relay to see if that makes it work.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:27 AM
Posting Guru

Bart99GT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Also check the starter relay on the driver's side fender, and the solenoid on the starter itself. The mini starters that Ford started using in the early 90's have a solenoid that both engages the starter gear, and open/closes the high current supply to the starter. The relay on the fender simply switches the solenoid on and off.

I'm not exactly sure of what a starter interrupt relay is. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it has something to do with an anti-theft system or perhaps is part of the neutral start or clutch on off switch.

Bart
Old 09-28-2004, 08:56 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Well I'd also suspect the neutral start switch, if you have the auto tranny.

So you might try shifting to "N" instead of "P", or wiggeling the shifter, the next time it acts out on the start.

If you have a straight shift, maybe suspect the clutch switch. Try pumping the clutch with the key in the start position, if it suddenly cranks, suspect that switch.

Maybe something like WD-40 would wake it up if it's sticking. Seems to me it's too new to be worn out.

After that, maybe a sticking starter relay, or loose electrical connection/s along the way, from the ignition key all the way to the starter motor.

Not much of a fun job trying to run down, especially when it's intermittent, as youll have to wait for it to act out, before beginning your trouble~shoot.

So as Hreed suggested, try the tap test & wiggle tests & see if you can further isolate the problem area.

The next route is to do some continuity testing with a multimeter or test light, but you'll likely need a helper, repair manual, & a good wiring diagram with wire color codes for that.

Let us know what you find.

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 09-28-2004, 05:25 PM
New User

dbrasier is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for all the tips/info. I went under the hood and cleaned up a bunch of the electrical connectors, relays, etc., etc. and have the not had the problem since. I don't know if that was necessarily the problem, but it works for now. So for now, I'm going to go with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory...

Thanks again.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:56 PM
Posting Guru

hreed is starting off with a positive reputation.
It's a good theory. And it works. My guess is you had a bad connection, and you probably should not have more problems.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:18 AM
Posting Guru

Bart99GT is starting off with a positive reputation.
I looked it up in my EVTM last night and the starter interrupt relay is part of the anti-theft system. If the relay isn't part of the GEM, then it appears that it can be easily jumpered if you don't care about retaining the starter kill.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:18 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
f150, f350, ford, interrupt, interupt, location, relay, started, starter