1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

WIRING DIAGRAM: integrated turn signals and brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 08:28 AM
AmeriKen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WIRING DIAGRAM: integrated turn signals and brake lights

Question #1:

I put a '69 Lincoln tilt steering column in my 51 project truck. All the old wiring has been stripped from the cab and I'm starting new. I used the older column because I wanted the key starter on the dash rather than on the column. I have the mulit-colored wiring harness still on the Lincoln column, does anyone have access to the color code for for these wires for a 1969 Lincoln Mark III?

Question #2:

I think I know how to integrate the brake lights and turn signal lights so that the turn signals will continue to blink when the brakes are applied, but does anyone have access or can point me to a source that has an illustrated brake/turn signal wiring diagram with them integrated?

Old 09-26-2004, 11:18 AM
dlister
Junior User
I Believe what your talking about is accomplished through the steering colunm wirnig its already done. Like if you apply brakes with right blinker on, Left light is on right light blinks. I have a wiring diagram for a 1970 ford column but don't know if it's the same.

Old 09-26-2004, 11:24 AM
dlister
Junior User
See if these are the same:
White/blue--RF turn
White/red-emergency flash
green/white-LF turn
Green/orange-LR turn
Green- Brake light switch
Orange/blue-RR turn
Blue- turn signal flasher
Black/green-ACC
Black- Fuse box
Brown/Purple-Solenoid
WhiteorRed/Green-Coil
Grey-Hot when switch is on
Yellow-Battery 12 volts

Old 09-26-2004, 12:21 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think its watson-streetworks.com has an excellant tutorial on the various ways of wiring rear lights for brake, running and turn signals using various numbers/types of bulbs. I think it's exactly what you want.

Later,

Old 09-26-2004, 04:40 PM
ncdrl
New User
Go to www.painless.com, click on tech books go to bottom of page and click on installation manuals and look in manual 90501 on page 24 for intergrated signal and brake lights.. I put a painless harness in my 59. Hope this will help you. Gives you a good diagram on how to hook up the signal and brake lights.

Old 09-26-2004, 05:28 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AmeriKen
I think I know how to integrate the brake lights and turn signal lights so that the turn signals will continue to blink when the brakes are applied, but does anyone have access or can point me to a source that has an illustrated brake/turn signal wiring diagram with them integrated?
Ken,

I had some experience recently with integrated brake lights and turn signals. I spent two days chasing brake and turn signal wires trying to get them to work on my truck. If your column wiring is made for integrated brake lights and signals you will have no problem. If it wasn't, there is no way to make them integrated and you will have to run separate brake lights and signals. I used an 87 Chrysler steering column in my 48 and it does not have integrated brake lights and signals. I don't know if the 69 Lincoln column supports them or not.

Vern

Old 09-26-2004, 06:04 PM
AmeriKen
Senior User
WOW, this is fantastic!! I'll go through all this stuff!

Thanks, fellas.

I'm checking out the wire colors on my column.

I've downloaded the painless .pdf file to pore over.

Yes, the column is from a Mark III which had single turn/brake lights. There were no separate brake and turn signal lights.

Also, I will need to figure out a trailer towing circuitry that is separate much like the newer trucks. I want to prevent the trailer system from affecting the truck lighting/signal system. I'll probably use relays -"slaved" uhhh errr -made secondary off of the truck's primary wiring.

Old 09-26-2004, 06:13 PM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AmeriKen, the best relay I know of to handle trailer towing with your truck is the D2SB-14677-B relay offered from Ford. Or, if you wish, you can get it from NAPA Echlin as part number AR200. It is a 60-amp total capacity relay that has three terminals, hot, signal, and load. Ford used that particular relay for years (1972-1983) on their Camper Specials. Ford mounted their oftentimes on the firewall, upper right-hand of the firewall, actually. They really are bullet-proof!
I hope this is of some help to you!

Old 09-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
Ken, you can go to www.Pirate4X4.com, go their tech section, click on trailer towing, and get a full diagram of wiring and sockets (4-pole, 5-pole, 6-pole, and 7-pole) including seperate turn and brake signals on either the truck and/or trailer. The wiring diagrams are even in color--and, the color matches the color the wiring should be.
Also, I believe, www.painless.com also has such diagrams. It has been a while since I was at their site, so I may be wrong on that one but I am fairly sure they did. Also, Valley, Reese, Balkamp, and Belden offer converters to go from dual but seperate lighting to a single dual-element bulb as well.
I hope this helps you out some!

Last edited by Loan Ranger; 09-26-2004 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:44 PM
Loan Ranger
Senior User
AmeriKen, I don't know, of course, if you already know about it or not, however, just in case, check out www.tocmp.com. It is great!!