General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

UTI Tech? Good school? anyone ever been there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UTI Tech? Good school? anyone ever been there?

We had a rep come and talk to us today from this school. I have to say, i now know what i'm doing after HS. I WANT to go to this school really bad. It would be awsome, to work in an air conditioned room, with white gloves on working for porche, or bmw, mercedes benz, volvo, etc. They also have advanced training for Ford FACT team. I think that would be awsome. I would rather work for porche or volvo and make more money, to fund the Ford vehicle's i'd drive. If i worked really hard, i could be making 75-100k a year before i'm 30.

Old 09-23-2004, 09:38 PM
xcopterdoc
Senior User
They are feeding yur head full of crap! In the world of flatrate pay, especially with Ford, there is no way you will ever make that money... check out www.flatratetech.com ask them

Old 09-23-2004, 09:44 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
well, i'm sure the maximum amount of money is with alot of the imports, like porche, etc. I'm pretty sure working for ford i wouldnt make 100k a year before i was 30. Even if i was only to make 50k a year, it would still be doing exactly what i love.

Old 09-23-2004, 09:50 PM
thunderguns71
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey I was going to go there, UTI In NC, I went down there and had the guy tour me around the place and tell me everything i needed and so fourth, but I decided I didnt want to go, i wanted to be part of some kind of race team,{even though I know how much harder thats gonna be} not working at a dealership so that was part of my reason for not going, when the guy talked to us at school a few years ago , it sounded great , but once i got there i found out that its not what it is cracked up to be, well unless you want a job working for a car company, but thats just not my kind of thing, i also learned that many lesser technical schools offered the same things they did at a lesser price. I will give UTI credit on their facilities, they are some of the nicest Ive ever seen. Just instead of taking hsi words, call them up and let them take you on a tour and set you down and talk about the price. After it was all over with it would have cost me around 28,000$.

Old 09-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
is that including all fee's. i suppose you would have had to pay for an apt also. or did you allready figure that in? I would really like to tour one of their schools, and probalby will, but the closest one is in illinois, which is like 7 hours away from here

Old 09-23-2004, 09:59 PM
xcopterdoc
Senior User
PM me Peter

Old 09-23-2004, 10:03 PM
thunderguns71
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That wasnnt factoring in your living expenses, i would have had to get a job down there, go to school, go to work, go to bed and do it all over just to pay for it, then again if i member correctly and apt down there was like 500-600$ a month, but they had certain blocks set aside for UTI students only, but not like a dorm .

Old 09-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
yeah, the guy talked about it a little. I think it seems like a good school, but i've only heard it from the point of view of the guy who's trying to sell it to me. Thats why i'm trying to see if anyone's gone there before, and can tell me what its REALLY like.

P.S. i PMed you xcopter

Last edited by Peter94; 09-23-2004 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:49 AM
reever
Elder User
My oldest just applied to the new campus in Exton Pa. We live in New Jersey just outside of Philadelphia. He will have about an hour commute everyday.
I tored the campus with him and it was very impressive. The local tech schools here are no where near as nice and cost almost as much (+/- $5K). He is finishing up his Associates in Business this semester at the County College, and then going to UTI. Hopefully, he can support his mother and I when he opens his own Import shop in a few years!! J/K

Old 09-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Kenneth Brown
Freshman User
I went to UTI in Houston in 92. They promised the moon but all I got was a look through a telescope. I was very disappointed. For the price I was paying I could have went to Baylor. It isn't what they say it is. They will give you the dropout rates, look at them real close and then you will realize why.

Old 09-25-2004, 11:48 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
UTI is a good school, but be prepared to do you time on the grunt work and working your way up, but that kind of money isn't the norm, it is the exception. I went to school there in 1990, Glendale Heights campus. The housing is regulated by the school, 3-4 students to an apartment. The student signs a lease and is responsible for it, furniture is supplied, and the school has monthly inspections to guarantee that the appartment is not being destroyed.

Old 09-25-2004, 06:19 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
If i were to attend, the glendale heights campus would be the one i'd go to. I'm kinda figurin the charts he had were all bs. He was trying to sell me a school, thanks for the input so far guys &gals, keep it comin. Was there anything that went on there that was so amazing it just left your mouth hangin? or was it "average"

Old 09-26-2004, 12:13 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The instructors are very personal in their training, and you do not pass on mediocre scores, you either pass properly, or you keep taking the class until you do. The classes are 3 weeks long, a "phase" . I really thought it was good, had my schooling back in 90, and have retained a lot of what I learned back then. Also, you must attend enough of the time, or you won't pass, they allow only a certain amount of time missed. They have a dress code which must be followed, or no pass. This all is helpful in securing a job once you graduate. I loved the auto trans class, but it also helped having a real good teacher. All teachers have worked the field, and know their stuff.