2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end shake on '04 F-150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 08:21 PM
GA_Lariat4x4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear end shake on '04 F-150 4x4

Is anyone else having this problem? The rear end of my truck shakes so bad at 54-55 mph that I can actually see the bed of the truck moving in my rearview mirror. I took it into the service dept and they installed something called a "Dampner". That did not help at all. It still shakes. The Ford field service tech came out and drove it and said that the shake was normal for the new trucks. Then I talked to the area manager for Ford. He said that Ford knows there is a problem, but has no fix and I will just have to live with it until they find a solution. Wrong answer. I had to be a complete jerk to get them to let me bring it back to the service dept again and get them to try to fix it. They have tried 3 times to fix it, but still no luck. Anybody else had this problem? Is there a fix out there? I really don't want to use the Lemon Law to make them take it back. I love this truck. It just shakes real bad between 54 and 55 mph.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Do a search for bedshake. You'll find more posts than you'd like to see. A few guys have had this fixed by having the emergency brakes repaired. Seems like it was a sticking Ebrake on some. Many more have not had this resolved. Several on here have had their trucks bought back from Ford for this.

Old 09-23-2004, 11:16 PM
AceSC
Freshman User
Unhappy Bed SHake

Hello I live out in California and I have the same problem as you. I have been trying to figure it out myself. What I have narrowed it down to is the bed itself. For some bumps it only shakes a little but for a few others is makes the whole bed go crazy, making it seem as if the bed were loose or something. I have also gone to the dealer and asked about this and they have told me the same thing as you. I was trying to see if I could narrow down the causes and I discovered that if you push down on either side of the bumper in a quick motion, you will actually see the bed continue for vibrate for a while. Or if you get on the bed and jump on the back side of the bed it will make the bed vibrate worse. Nothing happens if you try and shake the front part of the bed, only from the very rear. I have tried doing this on my older truck a 2000 F150 and the truck does not vibrate at all. I guess once the vibration in the bed reaches a certain frequency it makes the whole bed move, causing the rest of the truck to vibrate as well. My rear slider is starting to rattle too because or this. Something has to be done on this otherwise it is going to start shaking some of these trucks loose. I love this truck aside from this little problem (2004 SCrew 4x4 XLT). I don't belive it has anything to do with tires or the e brake, because the bed still vibrates even when the truck isn't being driven. I need some help with this too. I though for a while that I was the only one imagining that there was something wrong with the bed shaking. I hope this was informative. And if anybody can help me as well, I would really appreaciate it. Thank you for your time.

Old 09-24-2004, 07:46 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Open your tailgate..then slam it shut and watch the bed. It's an easy way to test it. They all do it..probably using a different mount and it allows for the movement. I doubt Ford will fix it as many guys don't complain about it. I have it, but I've learned to ignore it. I love too many other things about this truck to let this get me down.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:14 AM
ctfordguy
Elder User
Guys, Have you tested with anything in the bed. That should eliminate any bed contribution.

Old 09-24-2004, 01:24 PM
GA_Lariat4x4
New User
No, I haven't had to haul anything with my new truck yet. Seems like those guys that designed this thing could figure out what they did wrong. Think maybe the mounts for the bed have too much "give"? Maybe if they we more solid, it would not have as much of a tendancy to bounce.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:11 PM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
Has anyone tried mounting either a cap or camper shell? I am wondering if it has to do wiht the actual structural rigidity of the bed. It seems that if it had a hard cap or somthing else to stiffen the rear of the bed sides, it might actually help. I know that pre-runners use 2 triangle dohickeys sometimes in place of the tailgate to strengthen the rear bed sides. Mabye thats it? 6.5 ft of bed is a lot to be boxed in by just a tailgate.

Old 09-24-2004, 03:23 PM
W7AX
New User
bed shake

I have seen this on a few other trucks besides Ford. After installation of a topper the problem goes away...at least mine did. Of course not everybody wants to do this so why not install a stiffer bed mount under it or tighten the one that's there ?

Old 09-24-2004, 08:34 PM
joe0189
New User
more shaking

I just bought an 04 Supercrew and feel vibration in the steering wheel. I thought it was a tire balancing issue, but the truck spent the day at the dealer and they still do not have it corrected. Mine happens at 60-70 MPH. I remember now seeing some vibration in the truck bed. Do you all feel this "bedshake" in the steering wheel?

Old 09-25-2004, 08:47 AM
GA_Lariat4x4
New User
I feel it just a little in the steering wheel. I feel it mostly in my butt and back. On my truck, it seems like it is coming mostly from the rear of the vehicle.

Old 09-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GA_Lariat4x4
I feel it just a little in the steering wheel. I feel it mostly in my butt and back. On my truck, it seems like it is coming mostly from the rear of the vehicle.
That sounds like the Ebrake issue. Several people have posted that a similar vibration was resolved when the dealer fixed the Ebrake

Old 09-25-2004, 10:43 AM
jbone108
Senior User
I've noticed that I the vibration coming from the rear end between 55-60. time to take it back to ford. this sucks I've had the only 1 week

Old 09-25-2004, 12:29 PM
thenetguy
Senior User
If you look at previous posts on this issue, you will see it is one of the most common complaints. This is a real issue and one I've been dealing with for quite some time. I've had the rear end worked on several times, the vibration damening kit installed, tires balanced and re-balanced and still have the problem. I also have a topper and still have the issue of the bed shaking. The steering shakes sporatically and I believe it's due to the frame being so stiff that the road vibrations reverberate through the frame constantly. I've yet to see anyone resolve the issue by any one solution. All the information we can post may help find the issue. I see new posts every day on this issue. It's great to see support for those of us dealing with this extremely frustrating issue.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:08 AM
AboodsF150
New User
I have the EXACT problem. My 04 lifted f-150's bed shakes like an *** when i hit 55-60.
Its extremely annoying.Any one has a solution I think its something with any bed bolts loose or something. Its actually embarrasing when my bed shakes on the freeway its obvously noticable at a point. Any tips guys??

Old 04-01-2010, 11:55 PM
mmgg
New User
Smile

I have an 2004 f150 4x4 no shake problems.

If you want to know if it is the bed mounts,, just hammer some wedges of 2x4 between the bed and frame to make it solid and take it for a spin.

Any shaking I've experienced in previous trucks at 50 to 80 mph have been tire balance issues,(one took 4 tries to ballance it),,,,one driveshaft a balance weight fell off,,,,and at 200 000 miles a cracked torque converter

Quick Reply: Rear end shake on '04 F-150 4x4