1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

fair price

Old 09-23-2004, 05:28 PM
1coolacman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fair price

Hello There.

I have been looking for an older truck to fix up and find it hard to put a true value on one.
I came across a 1948 Mercury M-3. The truck cab is in fixable condition with only small holes in the corners, doors look good but the roof looks like someone stood on it. This is a stake truck but does not look like a factory job (dump box).
Underneath is good with lite rust, but the frame has been fixed. I would almost think the truck at one time twisted the frame. THere have been some repairs like the brake lines and electrical, as for everythning else it is all natural wear and tear.

Would anyone have an idea what someting like this would be worth?

Old 09-23-2004, 06:16 PM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like that truck has been thru the ringer. Does it run? or has it been sitting a long time? To me, from what you're saying, it sounds like it might be worth $2-300 tops. Basically a parts truck by the sound of it. Remember, it's a HD 3/4 ton and is geared low. It won't get there fast and probably has a crash box 4 speed. And it will ride like a brick. I don't know what your budget is, but I'd keep looking for something better. Don't be in a hurry, you'll regret it.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 09-23-2004, 06:28 PM
1coolacman
New User
The truck runs, I have seen it running around town.
I called and the guy is asking $6900. cdn.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:07 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by 1coolacman
The seller is dreaming it is already partially restored. Keep looking. You can beat that price by a whole bunch.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:29 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Ouch! I got both of my '51 Mercury M-3's for free! and they were in better shape than that. Where abouts are you? I might know where a truck is if your in Saskatchewan.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:35 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1coolacman
WHOA! That's way too much for that truck...even CDN unless it has gold plating somewhere. Keep looking. Mine "ran" too and I only paid $500 for it.

Vern

Old 09-29-2004, 04:49 PM
1coolacman
New User
Thanks for the Input and sorry for not replying sooner I have been working lots.

51dueller

I live in Ontario it might be a nice drive and a good way to see the Country. If you come across something let me know.

Once again

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2004, 07:32 PM
1coolacman
New User
Hello Bob

I received your e-mail but i can not reply since I have not been a member for long and have not posted more then 15 times.
This is not the guy from Barrie, not that much of an a-- but he does think his vehicles are worth some money.
As you can see in my ealier post he has done work, but just enough to make it road worthy. I think he has picked up this truck for a deal and is trying to turn a profit. He had an 48 Cad. that was nothing but just the body, motor and lots of rust (no better then a parts car) and he thought it was worth 20 grand canadian. Shortly after I had spoken to him about that car I was watching an auction on the television and the same year car in nice shape with the origanal paint went for 35 grand.

take it easy

Old 09-30-2004, 07:36 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
1coolacman,

I agree with the rest of the guys, if you take your time you'll be able to find a truck in about the same or better condition for a lot less money. For that kind of money you could even go on eBay buy a decent truck and drive a fair distance to get it.

I have also run into people around me who have what is literally a pile of rust with one or two good useable parts and want $1500 or more. The funny thing is, these trucks sit year after year in the same spot rotting further into the ground.

Search this Thread