Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Lock Actuator Replacement Procedure (Enhanced)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:41 PM
jeronlines
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by partsguyed.com
I'll hook you up with some updated O.E.M Ford ones.
What makes them updated? Reason asking is I've taken all mine out and the driver's door is different than the rest. With the mod they all work except the driver's door which still lacks the umph to move the lock.

Could someone have tried to replace it with a different Ford model actuator (other truck or car) or aftermarket product? Of course, they could, but I guess I'm asking what improvements Ford make to them (cosmetic, guts, etc) and is their an appearance difference that I can use to tell them apart?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Parts Guy Wyatt
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeronlines
What makes them updated? Reason asking is I've taken all mine out and the driver's door is different than the rest. With the mod they all work except the driver's door which still lacks the umph to move the lock.

Could someone have tried to replace it with a different Ford model actuator (other truck or car) or aftermarket product? Of course, they could, but I guess I'm asking what improvements Ford make to them (cosmetic, guts, etc) and is their an appearance difference that I can use to tell them apart?

they have a new part number, the old part number has been replaced. usually means Ford updated the part(possible new design)

Old 12-30-2010, 06:21 PM
jeronlines
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by partsguyed.com
they have a new part number, the old part number has been replaced. usually means Ford updated the part(possible new design)
Thanks, once i save the dollars you'll be getting another order from me for a left and right. Seems I gorilla griped one and broke the tab clean off. Dang it.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:22 AM
CrzHelm
Senior User
just replaced my left passenger door acutator. I noticed the new one from ford is different from the old one but fits and works perfect. i also found that windstar vans have the same actuators as excursion and also found the rear hatch actuator is the same as both driver side doors. replacement was simple just as long as you take the 2 nuts off and remove the outside doorhandle.
thanks for putting this up. helped me alot.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:24 AM
CrzHelm
Senior User
just wanted to add.... I actually i had this apart 2 times. the second time only took 10 minutes cause you dont have to remove the lock assembly. if you remove door handle you can reach tab easily and slide it right off through the giant hole you now have in the door.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:39 PM
uliman
Senior User
Both of my passenger side door actuators had failed on my 01 F350 so I thought I would give it a shot. Obtained a new actuator for $14 from Ebay (Ford OEM - someone had an extra one laying around) and did the front passenger door this morning.

Followed the written instructions along with the photos. The hardest part was getting the little fasteners holding the wires out. Took me about 2 hours but I was really taking my time making sure I did it right. I found it helpful to remove the door handle; gave lots more room particularly to get the rod that is attached to the lift **** out.

My vehicle was ever so slightly different as far as the unmoveable rod was concerned but all worked well in the end. Now the wife is happy that her door is working again. Will do the rear passenger door next - should take a lot less time.

Thanks for the great write-up!!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:32 PM
dockrocker
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just picked up my "new to me" 2000 Excursion today, and 3 of the 5 doors are iffy with the lock/unlock. Unfortunately, the price at Official Ford Parts Site | Buy Motorcraft & OEM Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com was $80 a pop for the actuators, while the Auto Parts Warehouse | Car Parts, Truck Parts & Auto Body Parts Online - Free Shipping on most Auto Accessories & Performance Parts – AutoPartsWarehouse ones are listed for $28.

Anyone have experience with the APW ones? Are they direct replacements? I have a hard time spending $80 x 5....

Old 10-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by dockrocker
I have a hard time spending $80 x 5....
Then why replace? Just fix 'em and you'll save money.

Stewart

Old 10-25-2011, 07:36 AM
bigwhitetruck01
Senior User
X2 for fixing them yourself.
There are enough write-ups and youtube videos about it. If you view the videos and still don't want to attempt it, send them to me and I'll repair them for $20 each (shameless attempt to make a few bucks).

Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 AM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got 5 on eBay for less than the price of one from Ford. Work like a charm.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:37 PM
BryanLee999
New User
Hello,

A little background...bought our excursion from my brother in law two years ago. Love the vechicle, except the locks. Two years, I bought it knowing the hatch and right rear locks not working, except if you used the wireless control (but only half the time). A month ago, the left rear stopped working. A week ago, the alternator (battery) light came on and we took it in to change the alternator. That same day, I noticed the both front locks are not working now. I don't know if changing the alternator and the front locks not working are related.

Looking on the web for a solution or an idea of what is going on, I see all this talk about the door actuator issues. I found great directions on this forum. Very nice! I went ahead and replaced all door actuators last night. I did not do the hatch.

Replacing the actuatores, did not solve my issue....I can hear the power going to the actuators, and I see a little bit of movement, but the lock is moving up/down enough to change the state.

Any other suggestions? Do I need to change the hatch to make sure? How do I know there is enough voltage going to door actuator (i.e. what should the voltage be, and where do I measure it)?

Thanks

Bryan

Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 AM
dtmfman
New User
Thank you CUINAK....great stuff.

On another note...if you have a "CarQuest" auto parts store in your area..here are their part #s...and they have NO PROBLEM getting them...little more expensive than the internet...but much less hassle of searching.

Left front and back door: DOR-746-148 - $49.49
Right front and back door: DOR-746-149 - $50.49
Cargo/rear doors: ECC 53-79432 - $53.54

Hope that helps someone:}

Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 PM
JC&&
New User
Good procedure but I don't see any pics. How do you view them?

Old 08-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by JC&&
Good procedure but I don't see any pics. How do you view them?
Here's the link to the OP's gallery: 2000 Ford Excursion 4x4 - Door Lock Actuator Installation

I edited the first post and added the link to the gallery.

Stewart

Old 06-22-2014, 01:56 PM
cpExcursion
New User
Cuinak, Let me join the list of those appreciative of the great write up and pix! You did an awesome job. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Actuator Replacement Procedure (Enhanced)