Any way to beef up my 97 2.3L

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 02:42 PM
billtcat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any way to beef up my 97 2.3L

Bought a 1997 Ranger XLT witht he 2.3 5 speedand am just lovin it. Just wondering if there was any ways to beef it up a bit and get a little more power. Chips? etc.

Bill

Old 05-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE.
Intake and exhaust. You've got to make it possible for the engine (basically an air pump) to breathe better.
Along with that, you can run performance coils, chip, 91 octane etc.
Put together a plan that best suits your wants & needs AND finances.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:46 PM
RangerX
New User
i have a 97 2.3 5 speed, and have done the Intake, exhaust, chip and electric fan thus far. it makes a HUGE diference

BTW i will warn you my power steering pump exploded some time a go (yes exploded, not prity, took days to get the fluid off), so i removed it bracket and all (more fun without it ) this also made a diference.

Old 06-13-2004, 09:54 AM
fizzgig
New User
Was just wondering if you would tell us just what you did to your intake and exhaust and what chip you installed. Did you change the fan to reduce the drag on your engine or to reduce the engine temp? (mine runs so cool that I don't think the fan would benefit me as far as temp goes.) (91 2.3L) Alaso, about how much do you have invested in your upgrades?

Old 06-15-2004, 03:11 AM
RangerX
New User
Things Added

K&N FIPK #57-2535
Hotchkis Performance Sway Bar Kit (Front & Rear) (did this, not fun)
Custom Mandrel Bent Dual Exhaust (NOT A KIT)
8.8mm Motorcraft Wires (2 of the 8 wires are in a retard place)
Custom Computer Chip (sorry not saying just yet )
Motorcraft Platinum Plugs (as are 2 of the 8 of these)
Custom Electric Fan (not fun got Freddy'd one or twice) (took it from a car)
Monroe Sensa-Track Shocks (glad i did not do this one, poor Luigi )
High Flow Mass air sensor (modified bridge)

theres more BUT it's 4:30.......... A M

ttyl, i hope

oh the fan was swaped for drag more than anything else.. as for the money.. Mmmm i don't think i want to add that up just yet Hmmm maby i will post a cost brakedown...

ttfn

Old 07-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Rangerperr
New User
Talking Beefing up my 2.3.

Hello,
A few months ago I bought a item called a Tornado. It fits in the air intake hose as close as you can get to the intake manifold. I have noticed better milage and better high end power. Maybe I imagine it but I think it works.
Also I bought a performance chip and if I could find the IAT sensor plug I would install it. I have an Idea where it is,it said to look for a plug with two wires but I can see more than one. Someone out there know where that rascal is?
Love my Ranger even if I cannot find it .
Thanks Perry

Old 07-22-2004, 03:56 AM
kens64
Posting Guru
You are most definately imagining it. They have been dyno proven to not work, and in some cases lose power. Snake oil.

If you are talking about the "chip" on Ebay you wire into the IAT, they have also been proven to not work. It "fools" the engine for about a day, then the computer readjusts to compinsate. Most Fords are factory set to run slightly rich, especially at full throttle, and the "ebay chip" will cause harm in the long run. A real chip goes in the computer. If thats what you bought, throw it away. You are now faster due to a lighter wallet.

If thats not what you bought, ignore what I said.

Old 07-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Rangerperr
New User
So much for easy beef up items.

Thanks Kens64 I thought it was to good to be true. Are you sure the tornado does not work?

I love this room I wish I had come here before I bought the so called easy beef up items.

I guess I will listen for a while and see what works for the rest of you guys. I did change the plugs and wires and I am sure looking at the plugs I took out that this is what made the difference.

Changing the eight plugs was a challange in it self. Also changing the to rear plug wires on the drivers side took two people. If I had a lift maybe it would have been easier.

I have also been looking at an exhaust change and would love to see what anyone else has had luck with.

Thanks for listning. Perry

Old 07-22-2004, 07:51 PM
kens64
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=Rangerperr]Thanks Kens64 I thought it was to good to be true. Are you sure the tornado does not work?
QUOTE]

All the dyno plots I have seen have shown a loss or no gains at all. But if it works for you, then by all means keep it. I didnt mean to tell you what you should buy and what you shouldnt. Basically, it does work in the fact that it "spins" the air, but as soon as the air hits the bends in the intake manifold, the spin is gone. Straight flow is always better

As far as exhaust, My Dad has a '94 with a 2.3, and the pipe size seems big enough. IMO, a better flowing muffler should help. Putting it as far foward as possible will make the sound more mellow and "deeper", avioding that Honda buzzsaw sound. The more pipe behind it, the better. Im about to replace his muffler in hopes of a little more power, his poor Ranger cant get out of its own way sometimes.

Old 07-23-2004, 02:30 PM
hotrodfeguy
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running the street header and 2 1/2" pipe all the way with a glass pack
http://www.racerwalsh.com/2300_headers.htm

Old 07-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Rangerperr
New User
Thanks for the tip hotrodreguy going to check that site out right now.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:35 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
about that little chip thing that goes on the IAT, how does that wire up? i have 3 wires instead of the 2 and it's saying something about the 3rd is a ground, but what's the ford wire colors on the IAT anyways, i fell for the easy beef up but oh well i just wanna see what it does, thanks

Old 07-27-2004, 05:58 PM
Rangerperr
New User
Easy beef up

RomerB2 I have not tried to hook it up yet either since i got bad news about it being a rip-off.
I am getting curious also, I have a friend that is going to show me the wire code colors and I think I may try it. If I do I will supply you with the color code.
The one I have only has two wire.
Take care and good luck if you install it before I get back to ya.
Have a great day.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:54 PM
RomerB2
Postmaster
hah i hooked it up, i think the wrong way, since now it's idling about 2200 rpm and when i put it in gear it dies so , i havent drove it much with it all wired weird and not going to because i dont wanna mess up the computer so i've been trying to search down wiring diagrams to the IAT and cant find any, i hope u get the colors decoded, lol..

Old 07-28-2004, 12:17 AM
kens64
Posting Guru
Its probably the wrong resistor value. Thats all it is, a resistor. It "fools" the computer into thinking the engine is cold, so it gives more ignition advance and fuel. Problem is, the extra fuel can mess up your cat, and if its way too much, wash down the oil in your cylinders. The computer will usually tune out the mod and continue to run normal with the resistor still hooked up within a few days. If it doesnt, you will start noticing dirtier oil, and reduced MPG. Buyer beware.

This extra fuel and spark advance will be worth, on a good day, 2-3 HP AT THE CRANK, not at the wheels. The extra wear and tear on your engine doesnt make it worthwhile. If it was able to just tune spark advance, it would almost be worth the $1.99 I see it going for on Ebay. Remember guys, speed costs money.

Quick Reply: Any way to beef up my 97 2.3L