alternative fuel 6.9 and 7.3 IDI

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 04:38 AM
the grimlin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alternative fuel 6.9 and 7.3 IDI

My big plan is to run some sort of alterative fuel in my new diesel what ever it may be. I was thinking of the deep fry cooker oil conversion. 1 reasion is it looks to be not to hard. and #2 I work for Albertsons and we have alots it of it I can have for free. what do people think and does any one run it now?

the grimlin

Old 09-29-2004, 08:33 AM
fordman428
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
never heard of running anything else besides diesel in a diesel, but i suppose it would be worth i try.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:55 AM
1978Crew
Senior User
convert oil to bio-diesel

I hope you are planning to convert the veggie oil to biodiesel. Lots of info out on the web to make the conversion. Keep us up to date on the process. I am looking for a conversion for my '78. I would like it to be diesel for the purpose of using bio-diesel. Check you local fuel suppliers, they may carry the bio-diesel for you to try before you start brewing your own. Read the cautions on the web carefully. There has been some problems with rubber seals(I think) leaking when an engine is converted to 100% biodiesel usage. Also, biodiesel will clean out the gunk from your engine, so filters need to be changed shortly after you make the switch to the new fuel.

Please let us know how it goes. Thanks

Last edited by 1978Crew; 09-29-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:06 PM
the grimlin
Junior User
from what I have found so far there is a company www.greasecar.com that makes a used fryer grease set up. that runs strait grease not biodiesel from what I have found is bio is filtered grease mixed with grain alcohol or methenol fuel.

Old 09-29-2004, 10:27 PM
peterjeff
Junior User
hey grimlin, there was a thread going a few weeks ago about this titled "Boidiesel/Vegetable Oil". i am in the process of installing a kit to run my truck on used fryer oil. i tell about it in the post. check out the website for neoteric. it takes some doing but it's not that difficult. takes a bit of dollars too but you get free fuel. i'm going on vacation coming up soon so i'm busy getting things wrapped up here before i go. so sorry if i don't answer your posts. you could also check out a veggie oil discussion group -- the url is given in the "Biodiesel" thread. good luck!

Old 09-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Teedo47
Freshman User
Vegetable oil runs great in my 6.9!
I just fiished my first vegetable oil voyage, from San Diego to Santa Cruz.
I was rushed to leave San Diego and did't have an oil filtering/settling setup, so I bought uused corn oil from smart & final (not cheap).
I removed the heater hose that runs from the head to the heater core, and ran hoses from the head to a copper coil inside the foreward tank, and from there back to the heater core. This heats up the tank insuring that the oil will be thin enough to pass through the pumps and injectors. I ran these hoses over the air filter and down to the frame rail. Unfortunately, they were a little too close to the head, so they melted through and I lost a ton of coolant and nearly overheated. Had to be towed the rest of the way. Lesson learned.
When I put the copper coils in the tank, they blocked the fuel level float, so I removed the brass float and put it on facing the other direction. It won't read full this way, but it will read empty. Unfortunately, I had a bunch of trouble getting fittings on the pipe, so the pipe ended up moving and blocked the float entirely. Lesson learned.
If the vegetable oil isn't hot enough(about 170F), it can coke the injectors, so I'll be installing a temp guage before the injectore pump and an electric heater to make sure the oil is always hot. I'm also going to install a second fuel filter and fuel/water separator, to cut down on how long it takes to get oil into and out of fuel pump and injectors.
I'll post pics of the conversion soon, it was a lot of fun, ad if I'd known more (anything?) about working on cars it would have been a lot easier.

Yeah, there are lots of companies that make kits, greasecar, greasel, neoteric, probably more. The fords already come with two tanks and a selector switch, so if you buy a kit make sure you don't get another solenoid.

I also use injector cleaner additive in my regular diesel startup/shutdown tank. This helps make sure that the vegetable oil isn't gumming anything. This is really insurance against cold oil getting into the engine.
There have been a few threads about this recently, so do a search for veggie oil or biodiesel and you should get some info