1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Ranger Vs. New Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 01:32 PM
rkelachim1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ranger Vs. New Tacoma

Has anyone else seen pictures and specs of the 2005 Toyota Tacoma? All I have to say is WOW! It is a gorgeous truck. I was also reading an article that talked about how the Tacoma is poised to overtake Ranger as the best selling truck in its class. After seeing the pictures, I'm pretty sure it will. Heres a link to some pics if your interested. http://www.motorportal.com/Toyota_Le...acoma_2005.htm

How can Ford just sit back and let Toyota eat away at its market share like this? I mean the Ranger is going into its 12th model year since its last major redesign and unfortunately, it is a dated and tired design. When is Ford going to redesign the Ranger? I think the answer is: when its too late. What does everyone else think?

Old 09-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Mtrunks49
New User
I think that Ford needs to put their heads together on this one. They already finished the F-150, and they have no need to redesign any other models at this point. They need to lookk at the tacoma, and look and the Ranger, then make up the difference. I am hoping someday to see a 4 door(full sized doors) ranger, with maybe a V8. that would be awesome, and what else would shoot the truck back to the top?

Old 09-22-2004, 02:42 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
It is really sickening at how Ford is letting the Ranger go. I think it is still a great truck, but that new Taco, along with the new Frontier, are really going to hurt the Ranger. The Ranger was so far ahead of the competition for so long, but they have finally caught on and seem to have really out done the Ranger. Those V-6's that the Taco and Frontier have are downright awesome as far as the specs go. Ford has claimed that it is a declining market with the increased demand for full size trucks, but if they wouldn't have ignored the Ranger like it has been, it would probably still be doing good.

Old 09-22-2004, 03:15 PM
mattd860
Mountain Pass
I'm sorry. The new Taco is a good lookin truck and all. But I am sick and tired of all the new trucks today being made for fancy high-class soccer moms or wannabe tuff-guys!!! I can't drive a truck like the new Tacoma, Ram or any of the STUPID girly chevy's and feel free to work with it. I'd be paranoid about a stupid scratch or dent which a truck is SUPPOSED to be built for! A truck is NOT a ferrari or any type of sports car. If somebody want's to hook a truck up and make it showy that's fine. But the manufactures shouldn't already be selling them showy and then expect it to be used as a truck. Ask any Ram or girly chevy owner to plow through a dirt road or get some mud on their truck or pack a load of stones or wood and they'll probably start crying before they do. Ask any working man to buy an Explorer sports trac and he'll most definitely say NO! Lets get a plain, four door, mid-sized truck on the market that you can work with and get dents and scratches without moaning like a rich ferrari owner! I think Ford did just that with the F150 only that is a full sized truck. They need to bring the four-door ranger or the'll loose the midsized truck business entire. Just a thought.

ALSO - NO PLASTIC PARTS SHOULD EVER BE ON THE EXTERIOR OF A TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-22-2004, 06:29 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Rangers /still/ look better. We just need some new engines. A beefy 4 cyl, a DOHC 4.0L V6, and a small V8. I'd be happy then.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Redranger03
Senior User
Originally Posted by mattd860
I'm sorry. The new Taco is a good lookin truck and all. But I am sick and tired of all the new trucks today being made for fancy high-class soccer moms or wannabe tuff-guys!!! I can't drive a truck like the new Tacoma, Ram or any of the STUPID girly chevy's and feel free to work with it. I'd be paranoid about a stupid scratch or dent which a truck is SUPPOSED to be built for! A truck is NOT a ferrari or any type of sports car. Just a thought.

Well said mattd!!!

Old 09-22-2004, 07:28 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks to me like Toyota did their homework. Someone please forward that link to Ford.
Dono

Old 09-22-2004, 07:41 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id like a diesel engine option, like take the 360 cummins but with only 4 cyl instead of 6, around 200-250 c.i.d. and a longbed option for the s/c. i'd like to make my own midgate to extend the bed length to 8'. even though my ranger is a 11 y/o truck it doesnt seem old to me. i even prefer the ttb to the torsion bar front suspention. i had considered a tacoma before i found this ranger, and having had one before, the ranger came home with me.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:44 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
You know what's funny? If you check out the Tacoma forums all the guys on there HATE the new Tacoma. It's way too big to be a serious off-roader, it's way too fancy, and it's WAY too expensive.

Sure, it looks nice, but with that pricetag I don't see it really killing the Ranger in '05.

Also, remember guys...Ford likes to "sandbag". They'll wait until all the competition lays their hand on the table....that way they'll know what they have to top. Then Ford'll come to the table with the most awesome truck you've ever seen. That's the blue oval way. I'm really not worried at all.

I will say this though. Nissan's new Frontier has a HD 6-speed manual and four full-size doors for less money. Dodge's new Dakota has a HD 6-speed manual and optional V8 (which I don't think is necessary). And now Toyota is even offering a stronger optional engine (can you believe that??). Ford has no good manual tranny, drum brakes in the rear, crappy torsion bar suspension, and no crew cab option. And no, the Sport Trac doesn't count...it looks more like a mini-Avalanche than a truck. So in my opinion, Ford really needs to get with the program MECHANICALLY. As good as the Ranger is, if I bought a new "small" truck right now it would not be the Ford. I'd want a good manual tranny for better fuel economy and more control, disc brakes all around for better stopping and easier maintenance, and coil-sprung suspension for a better ride on/off road and easier modification. The competition offers this already. Come on Ford, keep us "truck guys" in mind please!

Old 09-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Caplax40
Elder User
Toyota Tacoma > Ford Ranger. That thing just looks gooood....!!!

Old 09-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
I think your mistake is comparing the two. The new Tacoma is a Dakota size truck, not a Ranger size. The Prerunner double cab with the long bed has a wheelbase of 140+".Overall width is 74.6". Overall length is 221.3". Also, you may want to note that the only V6 available is a 4.0, 24 valve, aluminum engine making 245HP @ 5200 rpm and 282 ftlbs of twist. The bad news, get ready to be slammed at the pump, it requires 91 proof fuel. It does have a 5 speed auto available and 3.72 rear axle is standard for the auto. Considering nobody has one yet, they are due to be released Oct 20, pricing and eye appeal will have to await judgement. Most likely it will be over priced as they are planning on building only 170,000 of them.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:38 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
I hope Ford start building a 4 door Ranger here in the US, in 2-3 years I plan on a new truck with 4 doors and it really don't like the sport trac.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:41 PM
mattd860
Mountain Pass
We should start a "I hate Explorer Sport tracs" club

Old 09-22-2004, 08:48 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mattd860
We should start a "I hate Explorer Sport tracs" club
Remember, they are a cousin to the Ranger, let's take it easy on them.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:58 PM
mattd860
Mountain Pass
Cousin or not. A 4 foot bed doesn't belong on a truck!

Quick Reply: Ranger Vs. New Tacoma