General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Navy Seals

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 09:40 AM
woogs
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navy Seals

any members here happen to be Navy Seals?

Old 09-22-2004, 10:15 AM
zombie0299
Senior User
that movie sucks, as do most action flicks. over-the-top nonsense. just my .02.

Old 09-22-2004, 10:26 AM
woogs
Elder User
I'm not talking about any movie. I've seen one and by it have condemned the rest. It was terribly inacurate, and had bad acting all together. If they weren't worried about gettin' good actors they should have used real Seals to make it acurate.
I'm talking any Ex or current Seals, I'm a freshman in College and am gonna be a seal when I graduate. and was just wantin' a seal to answer questions.

Old 09-22-2004, 10:43 AM
zombie0299
Senior User
ohhhhhhhhhh, my mistake! Well, at any rate you can't just BE a Navy SEAL. You'll be in the navy for several years before you're even eligible for training. Then there's a whole series of exams, including psychological battery to qualify. Obviously it's some of the toughest training on earth. I'm in the Army so I've never met a seal but I do know plenty of rangers and even some SF guys. It's all very difficult stuff, but not impossible. Good luck to you then. But I say go army instead!

Old 09-22-2004, 11:47 AM
jharvey3
Elder User
Woogs in order (used to be this way) to become a Navy Seal you first needed to serve 4 years active duty, pass a butt load of tests and evals, not to mention your fitreps must be outstanding. Then if you get accepted to B.U.D.S. the fun really starts, remember it's 90% mental and 10% physical although it won't seem that way hehe. I suppose that since you're in college you'll be going in as OCS material? What MOS's have you picked? I trained with some seals when I was in the marines and will say they are almost as crazy as us jarheads LOL.

John

Old 09-22-2004, 01:52 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jharvey3
I trained with some seals when I was in the marines and will say they are almost as crazy as us jarheads LOL.

John
I grew-up back in the 70's-80's living on NAB Coronado, so I passed the B.U.D.S. classes every morning on my way to school and then saw them again in the afternoon at the beach when I went surfing. And I've got to say if nothing has changed in the way the class is conducted, that 10% physical part looked unreal. You would definately have to be in peak physical shape to even consider requesting to be a SEAL. And jharvey3 I've got to disagree with the highlighted portion of your statement. I joined the Army and went on to be stationed with the 82nd Airborne as a Forward Observer and had the chance to work with our Special Forces, the SEAL's, Airforce Pararescue, and Marine Force Recon. And I got to say that out of all those, the Marine Force Recon guys were by FAR the craziest. Beyond the skills, teamwork, and dedication, these guy's had absolutely no fear. Whether training, in combat, or clearing-out the local bar, these guy's were unstoppable, individually or as a squad or platoon. If they had a free moment they trained (and yes they believed clearing-out the local bar was training).

Old 09-22-2004, 02:34 PM
bigdmizer
Elder User
My older Brother was Force Recon, Then Military Aid to the President, then Military advisor to the National Security Council, Then on the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the Pentagon. Now (By his choice) he's back into the Special forces of the Marine Corps training troops to be one of the Few and the Proud. I could ask him a few questions for you if you like? He's a Lt. Col. and would give it to you "straight from the horses mouth".

Old 09-22-2004, 02:38 PM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Originally Posted by EnviroCon
(and yes they believed clearing-out the local bar was training).

Makes me wanna be a Marine even more
Cant wait...

Family friend of ours was a Navy Seal and trained with the best of em. Trained with the Green Berettes (sp?), Spec Ops., Rangers. When he was stationed in the phillipines, George dubbya Sr was there and he was asked to be a body gaurd for the president. Hes long retired but there are things he still cant tell us.
He is the mose sane well rounded guy I know with wife and kids. Said it was the best expierence in his life and he wouldnt trade it for anything.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:41 PM
dcordle
Senior User
I knew a couple of SEALs back when I was in the Navy reserve (10 years). I was in desent shape and at the time the fastest at the one and a half mile run we had to do for our PT test twice a year with my best time at 8:01 (until a new guy, a SEAL joined our unit). This was back in the early 90's. We also had to do as many push-ups and sit-ups as we can in 2 minutes. He could do around 120 push-ups and sit-ups then get up and run the mile and a half in 7:48. And of course he would say that he was not in good shape.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Aztrainer
Posting Guru
My father-in-law is a Retired from the Teams and served two tours in Vietnam. First thing that she showed me was his Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart’s and Unit citation for the Congressional Metal of Honor. Then he reminded me that I was taking out his precious daughter and should not hurt her or ………

I have been a very good boy and that scared the poop out of me. Hi, this is my dad and he used to be a SEAL…..

Old 09-22-2004, 03:23 PM
woogs
Elder User
yah, I've heard lots, mouth to mouth. And I've met a current seal once on a mission trip near San Deigo. I just got done reading "The Worrior Elite" by Dick Couch. He followed BUD/S class 228 all the way through Bud/s. I'm going to Texas A&M fall of '05 and am gonna be in the corp, and they have a Seal Platoon. Of the guys in that platoon that go on to Bud/s after they graduate, they have a 100% success rate. I've done my research and know what I'm gettin' into, and how I'm gonna do it. but there's still plenty I don't know, and that's why I wanted to talk to a Seal.

Old 09-22-2004, 03:37 PM
EMB135Driver
Junior User
Have you considered Air Force Pararescue, just as elite as the SEALs but you dont get quite as wet....I read an article about the training that various elite units go through, and it sounded like AFPararescue are some very tough customers indeed.

Old 09-22-2004, 04:17 PM
woogs
Elder User
yeah, I've looked around, and have decided the Seals is the way I want to head. I'm not saying they are the MOST elite special forces in the world, or even the U.S. there really isn't a way to tell, because they don't all do the exact same thing. but they're right up there with the best of the best. and the water is their refuge, I like to swim, and am purdy good at it. It's what I want to do.

Old 09-22-2004, 04:53 PM
FAB150
Senior User
woogs, good luck man. How old are you? When do you plan on going for this new career?

Old 09-22-2004, 05:35 PM
jharvey3
Elder User
And jharvey3 I've got to disagree with the highlighted portion of your statement. I joined the Army and went on to be stationed with the 82nd Airborne as a Forward Observer and had the chance to work with our Special Forces, the SEAL's, Airforce Pararescue, and Marine Force Recon. And I got to say that out of all those, the Marine Force Recon guys were by FAR the craziest
Yes we are, thanks!

As far as clearing out a bar well I plead the 5th amendment....

Woogs if you think you're a good swimmer now...just wait......

John

Quick Reply: Navy Seals