1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Ignition Problems/Fuel Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 10:59 PM
wtodd55
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Problems/Fuel Problems

I have a 1988 Ranger 2.9 L with 4 speed automatic and it quit running about six months ago and I have looked here and gotten some good help. I have no spark when I first start. If I pull the spout block out and use starting fluid (liquid choke). The engine runs for a short period of time -- as it only runs on the starting fluid. I do not seem to be getting any fuel, but if it jumper the fuel pumps they run and gasoline comes out of the fuel injector schrader valve under pressure. I have replaced both relays and still do not get electricity sent to the fuel pumps.

1. Any suggestions on how to diagnose the spout current failure?
2. Any suggestions on how to diagnose the lack of current to the fuel pump circuit?

I looked in the technical help section and it got me at least running for a short time on the liquid choke.
Thanx,
Todd

Old 09-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Start by pulling the codes for the spark problem and check the fuses/fusable links for the ECU relay and for the fuel pump relay. The hot wire on a 1989 is y/bk for the ECU and bk/y for the FPR.

Old 09-23-2004, 10:18 AM
wtodd55
New User
Pull Codes

I will do that.
Thanx,
Todd

Old 09-23-2004, 02:53 PM
thesaintoc
Junior User
In other words, when you turn on the ignition key, you do not hear the fuel pump activate for a couple seconds?
I had a loose wire on the computer relay harness, so I was not getting any power to the sensors for the reference volatge. My fuel pump worked but the injectors would not fire. In the archives try looking for guys who mentioned that there is a pigtail coming from the battery ground that is screwed to the radiator support area. If the wire is corroded or missing the fuel pump is not grounded.
I am sure that you have already checked the fuel pump crash safety switch in the cab?

Old 09-23-2004, 07:57 PM
wtodd55
New User
Crash Sensor

Yes-
I have checked the crash sensor and when I run a hot jumper wire to it the fuel pumps run. I will check that ground wire near the radiator as I have not done that.
Thanx,
Todd