Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2004, 08:41 PM
johare's Avatar
johare johare is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Springfield, IL USA
Posts: 681
johare is starting off with a positive reputation.
Codes P0153 and P1151

Hi All!
I have a 1999 X cab 2 wheel drive Ranger 4.0 L auto. The CEL came on and I had Auto Zone pull the codes. I have a code P1151 which states "lack of HO2S21 switch - Sensor indicates lean" and a P0153 which states " Oxygen sensor 1 in Bank 2 was too slow during testing". My assumption is that I have a bad oxygen sensor in the manifold of Bank 2. The truck has 93,000 miles so that would not be surprising.

Is this a fair assumption? Is there any thing else I need to be concerned with? Auto Zone wants $50.00 for a new sensor so before I spend $50.00 and the time to replace it I thought I would ask the "experts" for advice. Any hints on replacing the sensor if that is what I need?
__________________
johare
'99 Ranger XLT Sport
4.0L X-Cab 2wd
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Rockledge's Avatar
Rockledge Rockledge is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 9,412
Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
Well, normally when I see a P1151 code I would remind people that an O2 sensor indicating lean doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything wrong with the sensor ...instead, it can indicate that there is some kind of vacuum or exhaust leak, or fuel delivery issue etc. which is creating the lean condition.

However, since you are also getting the P0153 code, that tends to lend more credibility to the theory that the Bank 2 "upstream" sensor itself (or the circuit) is bad. But you still ought to look over the engine bay for any possible leaks in the vacuum lines, check also the PCV and EGR systems and hoses, and look for any exhaust leaks on Bank 2 (driver's side).

If you decide to replace the O2 sensor, think about spraying it down well beforehand with a good penetrating oil. You can buy or rent a special O2 sensor socket from most auto parts stores, but it's not absolutely critical. Don't forget to take off the cable from the negative battery terminal and to unplug the O2 sensor's harness connector before you start wrenching it. You'll want to put a little anti-sieze compound on the threads of the new sensor if they don't already come with it applied.
__________________
'98 Ranger XLT 4x4 (4.0L)
'97 Taurus GL (3.0L Vulcan)
'94 Taurus SHO (MTX)
Ford Pics
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2004, 07:41 AM
johare's Avatar
johare johare is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Springfield, IL USA
Posts: 681
johare is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Rock. I knew I could count on you for a quick response. I will check for vacuum leaks prior to replacing the sensor. I did a quick scan and did not see any vacuum lines disconnected or visibly damaged but I will investigate further. I'll also check for an exhaust leak on bank 2. Is it a wise maintenance move to replace all three O2 sensors since I will likely be replacing the upstream one?
__________________
johare
'99 Ranger XLT Sport
4.0L X-Cab 2wd
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2004, 08:11 AM
Rockledge's Avatar
Rockledge Rockledge is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 9,412
Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
You might consider the other upstream sensor on Bank 1 while you are in there. Both upstream sensors are the most important, since they report back to the PCM what is going on with the air/fuel mixture for each repsective bank of cylinders. Upstream O2 sensors can actually degrade in performance, and fuel economy can suffer accordingly. On the other hand, the downstream sensor exists only to make sure the cat system is working properly. Downstream O2 sensors pretty much either fail or they work, there is no in-between that affects engine performance.
__________________
'98 Ranger XLT 4x4 (4.0L)
'97 Taurus GL (3.0L Vulcan)
'94 Taurus SHO (MTX)
Ford Pics
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2004, 08:32 AM
johare's Avatar
johare johare is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Springfield, IL USA
Posts: 681
johare is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks Rock. I think I will replace both upstream sensors while I'm at it.
__________________
johare
'99 Ranger XLT Sport
4.0L X-Cab 2wd
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2005, 10:04 PM
raldur raldur is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
raldur is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the p0153 code also.......

Hi.

I see that you have helped someone else with the p0153 CEL code. I have the same problem. I appears as if the O2 sensor is easy to replace ONCE YOU CAN LOCATE IT! I am a complete newbie and am not sure where it is located? I have a 1996 Ford Ranger XLT. I will check under the hood. Is there a website/webpage that has a diagram of where they are located?

Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockledge
Well, normally when I see a P1151 code I would remind people that an O2 sensor indicating lean doesn't necessarily mean that there is anything wrong with the sensor ...instead, it can indicate that there is some kind of vacuum or exhaust leak, or fuel delivery issue etc. which is creating the lean condition.

However, since you are also getting the P0153 code, that tends to lend more credibility to the theory that the Bank 2 "upstream" sensor itself (or the circuit) is bad. But you still ought to look over the engine bay for any possible leaks in the vacuum lines, check also the PCV and EGR systems and hoses, and look for any exhaust leaks on Bank 2 (driver's side).

If you decide to replace the O2 sensor, think about spraying it down well beforehand with a good penetrating oil. You can buy or rent a special O2 sensor socket from most auto parts stores, but it's not absolutely critical. Don't forget to take off the cable from the negative battery terminal and to unplug the O2 sensor's harness connector before you start wrenching it. You'll want to put a little anti-sieze compound on the threads of the new sensor if they don't already come with it applied.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2005, 11:14 PM
el conquistador el conquistador is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,387
el conquistador is starting off with a positive reputation.
the o2 sensors are on the exhaust before the catalytic converter. check the exhaust manifold. im not sure if they put o2 sensors after the cat on 96 or not but check
__________________
1991 Ranger EFI 4 banger 2wd w/ M5OD Transmission
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Rockledge's Avatar
Rockledge Rockledge is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 9,412
Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by raldur
Hi.

I see that you have helped someone else with the p0153 CEL code. I have the same problem. I appears as if the O2 sensor is easy to replace ONCE YOU CAN LOCATE IT! I am a complete newbie and am not sure where it is located? I have a 1996 Ford Ranger XLT. I will check under the hood. Is there a website/webpage that has a diagram of where they are located?

Thanks!
P0153 = HO2S Sensor Circuit Slow Response (HO2S-21)

HO2S-21 is the #1 (upstream) oxygen sensor located on bank 2 (driver's side).

In other words, the 02 sensor you are looking for is located on (or just after) the exhaust manifold on the driver's side. IIRC, I had to get at it from underneath the truck on my '98.
__________________
'98 Ranger XLT 4x4 (4.0L)
'97 Taurus GL (3.0L Vulcan)
'94 Taurus SHO (MTX)
Ford Pics
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2005, 12:12 AM
raldur raldur is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
raldur is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry for the idiotic question, but I know where the manifold intake is (I believe), but am not sure where the exhaust manifold is? I will get underneath the truck later today and see if I can find anything. What exactly does an oxygen sensor look like? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockledge
P0153 = HO2S Sensor Circuit Slow Response (HO2S-21)

HO2S-21 is the #1 (upstream) oxygen sensor located on bank 2 (driver's side).

In other words, the 02 sensor you are looking for is located on (or just after) the exhaust manifold on the driver's side. IIRC, I had to get at it from underneath the truck on my '98.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2005, 08:55 AM
Rockledge's Avatar
Rockledge Rockledge is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 9,412
Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by raldur
Sorry for the idiotic question, but I know where the manifold intake is (I believe), but am not sure where the exhaust manifold is? I will get underneath the truck later today and see if I can find anything. What exactly does an oxygen sensor look like? Thanks!
The exhaust manifolds are bolted to the cylinder heads. They are heavy duty cast iron, you can't miss 'em. This link might help you visualize things:

Location of Heated Oxygen Sensors (Ford OBD-II)

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
'98 Ranger XLT 4x4 (4.0L)
'97 Taurus GL (3.0L Vulcan)
'94 Taurus SHO (MTX)
Ford Pics

Last edited by Rockledge; 07-17-2005 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2005, 06:02 PM
el conquistador el conquistador is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,387
el conquistador is starting off with a positive reputation.
the exhaust manifolds are usually covered in rust.
__________________
1991 Ranger EFI 4 banger 2wd w/ M5OD Transmission
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 07-20-2005, 12:05 PM
raldur raldur is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
raldur is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks...Will Work on the issue!

Thanks for the post. I will be searching for the sensor very shortly. I have been too busy to address the problem as of yet. This forum is amazing with the breadth of information and help people can give.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockledge
The exhaust manifolds are bolted to the cylinder heads. They are heavy duty cast iron, you can't miss 'em. This link might help you visualize things:

Location of Heated Oxygen Sensors (Ford OBD-II)

http://www.ecatalyticconverter.com/images/oxygen/12909.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2005, 11:56 AM
raldur raldur is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
raldur is starting off with a positive reputation.
On the diagram, how hard is it to get to the Ho2S-21 sensor? I must have missed that. The only sensor I located was way down below the exhaust and was very visible. I went out to my truck and I can't see any upstream sensor (maybe it is hidden?) I notice that on your diagram there is an * stating that Many applications use only one (1) downstream HO2S, which may be why I only see that one? Thanks!

Last edited by raldur; 07-22-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2005, 01:52 PM
raldur raldur is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
raldur is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can only find one driver side O2 Sensor

On the diagram, how hard is it to get to the Ho2S-21 sensor? I must have missed that. The only sensor I located was way down below the exhaust and was very visible. I went out to my truck and I can't see any upstream sensor (maybe it is hidden?) I notice that on your diagram there is an * stating that Many applications use only one (1) downstream HO2S, which may be why I only see that one? Thanks!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockledge
The exhaust manifolds are bolted to the cylinder heads. They are heavy duty cast iron, you can't miss 'em. This link might help you visualize things:

Location of Heated Oxygen Sensors (Ford OBD-II)

http://www.ecatalyticconverter.com/images/oxygen/12909.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 07-26-2005, 11:36 AM
raldur raldur is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 20
raldur is starting off with a positive reputation.
CEL went off?!?!?

I had the P0153 CEL on my 1996 Ford Ranger XLT and today when driving around the CEL went off. Is that good or bad? I don't know. Why would the CEL just go off? Is the problem not persistent anymore? Is there a predetermined amount of time the CEL is on for the P0153? I have no idea? help?

thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by raldur
Thanks for the post. I will be searching for the sensor very shortly. I have been too busy to address the problem as of yet. This forum is amazing with the breadth of information and help people can give.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
1996, 30, 96, code, diagram, ford, images, obd, p0153, p1151, ranger, taurus, transmission, truck, v6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup