General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Ceiling fans

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 09:21 PM
ranger rules
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ceiling fans

How many of you have and use ceiling fans in your house? I sometimes don't know what I would do without mine sometimes, especially in the bedroom, but my grandparents can't stand them and NEVER use theirs Just wondering about you guys.

Old 09-19-2004, 09:24 PM
captradiator
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got one in every room of the house, use them just about year-round.

Old 09-19-2004, 09:38 PM
TWolf
Elder User
Got one in my living room. I am 6" 2" and the fan is 5' 8'' from the floor. So I crack my head alot. Nothing new. I think OSHA would require me to wear a hard hat. Still trying to figure out how to shorten the shaft. A friend had one in the house that he was watching for some people and their pet parrakeet got loose and flew into it. The fan was on high speed. Poor sucker did not make it. Took forever to clean up.

Old 09-19-2004, 11:14 PM
theologian
Postmaster
I have a Casablanca in the bedroom - the only fan I have ever been able to sleep under - it makes no noise at all - every other I have seen buzzes. I have that fan on 24/7

Old 09-19-2004, 11:35 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I have one in every room. I just got a new one in my bedroom, and even got a remote control for the fan. I can control the speed, and the dimmer for the light from my bed. yay! The fan is also quiet too, the only thing I hear is the whir of air.

Old 09-20-2004, 12:10 AM
maticuno
Posting Guru
My room is always the hottest in summer months. Vinyl blinds and the addition of the ceiling fan make it bareable to sleep in without waking up in the middle of the night because you've lost 10 lbs in sweat. Both bedrooms have one and once my mom finds the right fan, I'll be putting it up in the dining room.

Old 09-20-2004, 12:21 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have several. The one most used is in the bedroom. I don't have any remote control ones though. I like the low tech approach.

Old 09-20-2004, 01:50 AM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mistercmk
I have one in every room. I just got a new one in my bedroom, and even got a remote control for the fan. I can control the speed, and the dimmer for the light from my bed. yay! The fan is also quiet too, the only thing I hear is the whir of air.
Wow... I was going to say... exactly what mistercmk said. A.k.a.... ditto.

Old 09-20-2004, 04:01 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got one in everyroom too. Even added one to the kitchen and put an old one in the garage. The 2 in my family room have been running for almost 10 yrs non stop. Prolly have an hour or two off. Ya ever notice the first thing the silly designers do on Trading Spaces and the like is take down the fans?? What the hell are they thinking??

Old 09-20-2004, 06:13 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I have one in every room also. I use them in whatever room I am in.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:32 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TWolf
Got one in my living room. I am 6" 2" and the fan is 5' 8'' from the floor. So I crack my head alot. Nothing new. I think OSHA would require me to wear a hard hat. Still trying to figure out how to shorten the shaft. A friend had one in the house that he was watching for some people and their pet parrakeet got loose and flew into it. The fan was on high speed. Poor sucker did not make it. Took forever to clean up.
Go to Lowe's or Home depot and tell them your ceiling height and the color of th downrod and they will give you a replacement...
little bit of work to disconnect and replace the downrod, but nothin difficult at all !!!

EeeeeWWWW ?
parakeet and fan - Yech

Old 09-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Frost13
Posting Guru
We just have floor fans.

Old 09-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Superbru
Senior User
Add me to the list of users. I like the bedroom fan the most, but since I have 15 foot ceilings in the living/family room (Raised Ranch), those two fans run most all of the time. They use very little electricity, and are very quiet!

Old 09-20-2004, 02:58 PM
budget
New User
Funny this topic came up..
I am finishing my basement and have been looking at different heating options down there. Cooling is not that big a deal, but I had decided on at least 2 ceiling fans to keep the air circulating (1600 sq feet with just 2 rooms).

Well, I stumbled across something new that is due here at Home Depot in October. It is a ceiling fan with a heating unit. It is supposed to be more efficient that baseboard heaters. The only other thing I thought of was a pellet stove (which I may end up trying just for the heck of it). Check the link out below. If anyone has any experiences with it, I'd love to hear about it.

http://www.buyreiker.com/

Last edited by budget; 09-20-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:12 PM
weymouth
Senior User
On my wife's suggestion, I installed a fan in each bedroom, the kitchen and we have two in a great room. We're still debating on which direction they should spin at what times. I say that they should be pushing the air up in the winter and down on the summer.

Quick Reply: Ceiling fans