Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Oil Change in 1999 v10

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 02:26 PM
Studenut65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change in 1999 v10

Hi, I have a 1999 Regular cab F-250 SD with the 6.8 V10 engine in it. The owner's manual states that the engine requires 6 quarts of oil with a filter change. However, when I change the filter, add the six quarts, and check the dip stick, oil is only at the half way mark in the marked region. Is this because Ford stamped the dip stick wrong? Any suggestions?

Old 09-19-2004, 03:35 PM
Berol
Junior User
I think most V10 engines, including mine, do this. I just add the six quarts and consider it done.

Some people here have mentioned that topping it off up to the top of the full mark has given them the "smoke on start" problem. As you mention, the dipstick might not be the most scientific measurement anyways. I'd just stick to the Ford recommendation.

Old 09-21-2004, 07:28 AM
camo4stealth
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I change mine, it ends up somewhere in that middle of the marked off area. No problems.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Fordgsm
New User
You don't want to fill the oil to the top anyhow. If you fill the oil to the top, that will cause your crank to smack into the oil easier, especially when you hit the gas kind of hard, (windage) which kills horsepower. I always keep the oil level a little lower than full. That is the best way. I have talked to a couple of machine shops about this. They all say that it is beeter to have the oil level a little low, rather than a little high. You can cause a lot of damage with a higher level of oil.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Roadrunner2
Senior User
Like what kind of damage ?

Old 09-22-2004, 09:28 AM
Fordgsm
New User
Major bearing damage. I have pulled out mounds of metal in engines where the owner thought more oil would be better for their car. Just stick to little below the fill line and you will be fine!

Old 09-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Roadrunner2
Senior User
How do you get major bearing damage with a good oil pump that feeds the bearings before any thing else? I have worked on engines all my life and never seen one seize up due to an additional quart of oil. The problems as i see it would be you could blow a oil seal due to the expansion of the oil and no room to breathe. Bearing damage I find that difficult to believe. More oil in some cases is not a bad thing, especially with some of these oil burning V10's that use it like mine. I am lucky to get 1500 miles to a quart.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I ain't believing this! Roadrunner2 - don't get mixed up in that.

Oil to the full mark causes damage? Come on...

Surely you meant to the top of the dipstick tube...maybe?

Old 09-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Fordgsm
New User
Do what you think is ok. I am just sending out a warning. This also has nothing to do with what gets oiled first. This happens when the oil in the bottom of the pan is hit with the crank. This also causes the bearings to float. I am also not saying that 1 extra quart will cause this. There is some room for error when putting oil into the truck, whether it is too much or too little. If I were you I would talk to a few machine shops as well. One thing we all seem to agree on here, is that it is not good for your truck to have too much oil whether it is vapor expansion or floating bearings. It is not good for your truck. Lets not get so worried about specifics. Besides, it is better to run a little low on oil. It reduces the roping effect, and adds a little power. You just might want to change it a little more frequently.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On the newer dipsticks with hashmarks, the top of the hashmarks is MAX (not full), and the bottom of the hashmarks is MIN (or add). If you use the recommended amount of oil, it will usually fill to the middle of the hashmarks, where you should be.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:26 AM
camo4stealth
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's true, having too much oil in the pan can cause problems. I don't know how much more than normal it would take, but if the crankshaft lobes hit the oil in the pan on the way around, it can actually whip the oil into a froth, because of the added air. This will cause the lubricating properties of the oil to diminish, and could cakuse engine damage.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
True. BUT, Adding oil to the full mark is still not going to damage your engine.

ON EDIT. Along with Bob's post: Max = Full (or that's all you need to add - STOP!)

Old 09-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Orn
True. BUT, Adding oil to the full mark is still not going to damage your engine.

ON EDIT. Along with Bob's post: Max = Full (or that's all you need to add - STOP!)
Actually, it's considered FULL at the half-way point in the hashmarks......

Old 09-22-2004, 01:04 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bob Ayers
Actually, it's considered FULL at the half-way point in the hashmarks......
That's an acceptable level - yes.
I think 6 or 6 1/2 quarts either way - V10Man and ken04 get only half-way up the hatched area with 6 1/2 quarts - not sure about anyone else. So to answer the question: wherever 6 or 6 1/2 quarts take you is enough.

I was just pointing out that the MAX level is all that should be poured into the crankcase. If MAX and FULL or not equal in that respect - what is? Also what is the point of having that mark on the dipstick?

To keep from watering a dead tree: just don't go above that max level - 'cause we all agree too much oil is not good. And change your oil yourself unless you know the guys/gals doing it. I add 6 and forget about until time to do it again. My engine uses no oil at all.

ON EDIT: Studenut65 - Your dipstick may have lines or holes as the MAX/MIN markers, but anything between those two "marks" is acceptable. However, above that MAX mark (or hole) is too much and should be drained.
Add the amount as stated in your manual and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Big Orn; 09-22-2004 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Fordgsm
New User
I totally agree with that. Never go to those quick lube places. They will not accept any liability as soon as you drive off of their parking lot. I have worked on many friends cars where I have had to retap their oil plug after coming home from a oil change from a quick lube place. Those people are not mechanics. If they were, they would be working at ford or International or some other true shop. I hope Im not affending anyone with that statement, but it is true. They just tend to be careless. It is so easy to change your own oil. It may be a little more time out of your day, but you'll be happier in the long run.

Quick Reply: Oil Change in 1999 v10