Aerostar Ford Aerostar

After the Aerostar, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
After the Aerostar, what next?

My Aerostar won't last forever and sooner or later, Ford will stop supporting them so parts will be hard to find. The 4.0 engine is very expensive to rebuild due primarily to the roller lifters, so if the engine goes, it's not really worth rebuilding (even if you do the labor). I want a rear wheel drive van, but only Chevy makes one, except for full size versions. I don't want a Chevy and I don't want front wheel drive. I wouldn't even consider a Windstar, even if I could get a screaming deal. What will you replace your Aerostar with? I haven't got a good answer yet.

Old 09-17-2004, 06:20 PM
AeroPA
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the Aero, we got used to having room to carry things. The next vehicle may be a pickup truck. Definitely NOT a front wheel drive mini-van. I'm with you on that one. Closest I may get to another van is a Jeep.

Windstar isn't even a consideration.

Old 09-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If there is nothing around then will have to be a E-150 Van. I like Ford F-150's but you can't throw stuff in the back and go into Home Depot without chaining it down first. Plus if it's raining it gets wet. I never did like camper shells cause of all the hassel of taking it off and putting it on.

Old 09-18-2004, 10:33 AM
JGGreenAerostar
Freshman User
I'd consider a Chevy Astro, first, but most likely go Full Size van. I think the new Dodge's are ugly enough to be cute, even with the only engine being a I-5 Turbo Diesel. An E-150 would be right for me, really.

Old 09-18-2004, 06:53 PM
vintageant
Senior User
We bought the Aerostar 4.0 in '95 when the kids were small to haul around friends and to soccer games etc. I also needed something to tow my antique car on a trailer occasionally. When the 'star goes, it'll probably be a Toyota 4Runner. Ford walked away from my market, but then this week they also walked away from the Jaguar Formula 1 Racing Team and Cosworth Formula 1 engines.

John
93 4.0 145k miles

Old 09-18-2004, 07:33 PM
CdnSoldier
Senior User
Fellas
The Canadian Freestar, is a great replacement for us up here in the Great White North. It has 4.2 Lt, wheel drive, heavy duty upgrades, etc. The only down side is the smaller luggage room from my Extended. I drove one and enjoyed it.
As for rebuilding the 4LT 90% of vehs now have rollers. And are no more expensive as non roller. The 4 Lt is in a lot of Fords. Parts are of plenty.

Old 09-18-2004, 08:58 PM
racsan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had a astro once and actually liked it. it wasnt easy to work on, but really, is any van? i tried a pontiac montana, but got rid of it after a few months. when i get another van, it will be a E-150 swb.

Old 09-18-2004, 09:35 PM
koalamazed
Senior User
If my aero ever dies. and the junkyards are no longer stacked 10 high and 12 deep of parts aeros, and I cant find another used aerostar out there, anywhere.....

I would have to go full size conversion van. my family aint getting any smaller, and my travel trailer aint getting any lighter!

Id push my aerostar before I paid $29,000 for a freestar. my mother in law just got one and I wonder what the $%&!* she was thinking. but oh well, some people like blowing money! (search for my review of the freestar on the boards.)

and I'd carry my dead aerostar on my back before I bought an astro! the new ones are more expensive than a conversion van, and are smaller than the aero ever was, even the shorty versions!

my aerostar is paid for. and Id rather keep $400 a month in car payments, and pay for parts, or whatever, on my aero. it took me a few years to realize how valuable a paid for car is.

Old 09-18-2004, 10:55 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn you don't pay 30+ Grand for that new smell and look good to your friends? Oh you can "LEASE IT" so I can buy it 4 years down the road for 5k and own it out right!

Old 09-19-2004, 10:41 AM
CdnSoldier
Senior User
I payed 23K Cdn for mine new in 94. So 30-35K Cdn is not that different now. You sure right Aeros are getting hearder to find at the wreakers. And they will only sell you one for a grand. I am looking for a parts one now. Take all thye parts I'll need in yrs from now and junk the rest.

Old 09-19-2004, 01:54 PM
koalamazed
Senior User
leases crack me up. 4 years in payments adding up to almost 20 grand with your origination fees, and then you have to give it back!? wow. i wish i invented that racket!

psssst. the best deal going is to get a dealers license, or know someone who has one, and go to the auto auction!

my grandpa took me to brashers northwest auto auction one thursday. I got an audi 5000 turbo. it was so plush, and fully loaded. I got it for a bid of $750. too bad it was so dang complicated to work on! I got rid of it cause parts were too expensive, and german labor was outrageous!

Old 09-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Avanti
Elder User
What next

Went through that last year when my 93 AWD Aero with high mileage blew head gaskets or cracked a head. I do my own maint & have rebuilt a few engines over the years. But we needed something at that time with AWD , 4.0 or larger engine & the same amount of interior space for family & business trips. Looked at the Explorer & Exposition & they had less luggage room & interior space. Finally settled on the Astro as it was very similar. Never had a Chevy before or contemporary GM in over 35 years of driving. Still have 2 older Fords.The Astro handles the same, little less gas mileage but better driver outside vision. Ford should have kept making the Aero with updates. The Windstar did not have AWD, and less interior room.Enough said.

Old 09-21-2004, 03:11 AM
Aero94EXP
Senior User
We plan on keeping the 'Star until it dies and probably replacing it with an older Navigator.

Old 09-21-2004, 03:41 AM
koalamazed
Senior User
DUDE!

We just spent the day at the puyallup fair in Washington state.

they had a couple of conversion vans on display there. now they were GMC sahara (or something like that) explorers.

ohhhhhh man were they sweet. $44,000 but SWEET! this thing even had a home theater inside man! like a 20 inch widescreen flat-panel in the front roof area, and 17 speaker surround sound for the DVD system. the very rear had a cool skylite, and it was sooooo big inside.

my wife has always been anti-conversion van, but i think I have her convinced that they are pretty cool. I just have to get her convinced that a 10 year old one isnt that bad either!!!!

I am not about to shell out $44,000 for anything right now. maybe when we win the lottery! no wait. thats when Im getting my F650 supercrewzer. nevermind!

Old 09-21-2004, 09:29 PM
wrongwrench
Freshman User
Astro??

Sorry, but I would have to yell at Jane to get the Astro out to the barn!

You sit right over the wheel well! Take a long trip to see how how you like your left foot brushing against the well. Not good for taller drivers.

Father in law let me use to go to Florida: Only put 4,000 miles on it from the 40,000 when I took it.

Idler froze up burning off the belt while coming home on I-75 at night.
Side arm chair rest broke after putting arm on it adjusting myself in the
seat.
Changed Oil at 3000 miles

Father in Law said I drove it too hard

Two weeks later, he power steering box went out. Fixed that in his
garage

I guess I am not very happy when things happen to cars or trucks with
less than 100,000 miles and 5 years. I can't figure out why Ford, Chevy,
or Chrysler don't offer 100,000miles or 10 years like the others. Even if
the others break, they're under warranty!! If we truly engineer and
build cars and trucks like rocks, why are they worried about giving a
longer warranty??

I will buy the best warranty offered! If you make a good auto/truck, you
stand behind it. If you can't or don't want to, that means you know it
will fall apart and you can't afford the warranties!!

Anyone out there who can set my thinking straight??

Quick Reply: After the Aerostar, what next?