2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The NEW F-150 Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 07:18 PM
bdweeden
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The NEW F-150 Oil leak

I recently purchased a 2004 F-150 4x4 XLT, at first everything was great, I absolutely loved the truck, I have owned numerous ford products, I currently own a 86 f150, a 77 f700, a 2001 ford Taurus and I traded my 2002 F150 for the 04.
At 2000 miles it developed an oil leak in the rear main seal area, It has been back to the dealer now a total of 4 times for an oil leak, 1 time for an alignment which was somehow induced when they changed the rear main seal the first time, and 1 time for a fuel rail pressure switch. I have since filed for arbitration through the state of NH, I had asked the dealer for a replacement motor with no luck, they said those decisions come from ford, I think we may have a line bore issue, or perhaps a scored crank or something along those lines. The rear main appears to stop leaking for approx 200 miles with every repair. Well she went in for her final repair attempt allowed by the arbitration, they at first said there was no leak, I told them I had taken pictures of my telephone and the oil leak that morning at 5:25AM so I had proof of the date and time of the leak, they agreed to look again, and found the same oil leak they had worked on 3 previous times. They insist it was an oil pan gasket even though this item has been changed 3 times, along with a new oil pan, I picked up the truck at 5:20pm the 17th of jun, I crawled under it and noticed the output seal in the transfer case had drawn a line in the driveshaft tunnel and the rearend was speckled from some oil. the tranny pan was missing 1 bolt and thank god for neoprene gaskets because the tranny is only leaking a little, the shield that covers the front drive shaft u joint at the transfer case is missing. The dealer put 25 miles on the vehicle and said the test drove it 3 times and inspected it after every test. I only inspected it once and found numerous discrepancies, my problem is every time it goes in for repair I get a vehicle that is in worse condition then before I turned it in for repair, and this last time they removed the tranny and transfer case only has added to the problem. I cannot bring myself to return this truck back to the that dealer for repair, and although it only has 5000 miles on it, I would rather make the payments on my 1986 vice the 2004. I have digital pictures of the post repair taken 45 min @ 6:15 pm on the same date after I picked up the truck, and pictures prior to the 4th attempted repair of the oil leak 5:25AM the 16th of june. (it was a 2 day repair).
It has been at the dealer now for a total of 10days (not consecutive) and I have only had it for 3 months.

Old 09-16-2004, 07:34 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bdweeden
...It has been back to the dealer now a total of 4 times for an oil leak, 1 time for an alignment which was somehow induced when they changed the rear main seal the first time...The rear main appears to stop leaking for approx 200 miles with every repair...they agreed to look again, and found the same oil leak they had worked on 3 previous times...the tranny pan was missing 1 bolt...the shield that covers the front drive shaft u joint at the transfer case is missing. The dealer put 25 miles on the vehicle and said the test drove it 3 times and inspected it after every test...my problem is every time it goes in for repair I get a vehicle that is in worse condition then before I turned it in for repair, and this last time they removed the tranny and transfer case only has added to the problem...
It seems to me your issues are with the dealer, not the truck or Ford. This dealer obviously doesn't know what they're doing. TELL Ford that you want this truck worked on by a COMPETENT service department. Most of your problems would never have happened if the DEALER had fixed it right the first time. Don't you agree?

Old 09-16-2004, 08:59 PM
jra
Freshman User
I agree with the above post, take the truck to a different Ford dealer and hopefully you will be able to get the problem resolved once and for all.

Old 09-17-2004, 03:57 AM
bdweeden
New User
Leaks again

After the final repair attempt the problems can be related to the dealer,
but rear main seals should last more than 200 miles. When this vehical goes out of its 3 year 36 month warranty I will no longer make anymore payments if Ford wants it back they can have it, Ford said that an "oil leak" does not reduce the market value of the vehical, therefore it can leak. How much would you guys pay for a veehical that leaked oil?

Old 09-17-2004, 05:22 AM
lardman
Elder User
I am sure a dealer's trade in value will decrease if it leaked oil. I would definately take it to another service department.

Old 09-17-2004, 06:35 AM
jhromy
Senior User
After the final repair attempt the problems can be related to the dealer,
but rear main seals should last more than 200 miles. When this vehical goes out of its 3 year 36 month warranty I will no longer make anymore payments if Ford wants it back they can have it, Ford said that an "oil leak" does not reduce the market value of the vehical, therefore it can leak. How much would you guys pay for a veehical that leaked oil?

than you would have a repo on your record

Old 09-17-2004, 05:26 PM
bdweeden
New User
Leaks again

Thats fine, everything else is paid for, including the house, I can pay cash for a good used truck, why pay 30k for a vehical they cant/wont fix? Its not worth it to me

Old 09-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Droog
Junior User
Thats fine, everything else is paid for, including the house, I can pay cash for a good used truck, why pay 30k for a vehical they cant/wont fix? Its not worth it to me
Still seems like trying a different dealer service department is easier than ruining your credit rating for one dealers incompetency. Everything might be paid for, but what about the next vehicle you buy. Do you think you'd get 0% financing with a recent repo on your record?

Old 10-01-2004, 04:07 AM
bdweeden
New User
The Leak

Why would I need to finance if I pay cash, that is equal to 0 APR

Old 10-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Droog
Junior User
Why would I need to finance if I pay cash, that is equal to 0 APR

Okay, say you're buying a house, or getting a loan to send kids to college, or opening a business of you're own, or refinancing your home through some tough times, etc, etc, etc. It's stupid to ruin your own credit rating over one service departments incompetance. Take it to another dealer, you never know, they might be able to sort your problems out without too much more frustration.

Old 10-01-2004, 09:24 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've just joined the club

My new STX, with 800 miles on it has made three oil patches about three-four inches accross in my garage. NUTS. Looksto be in the area of the rear main. This is the 4.6.
It has to go back to the dealer again for the Gas tank recall, so I intend to complain about this next.
Did someone find an oil leak Recall?
Chris

Old 10-02-2004, 02:23 AM
bdweeden
New User
Oil Leak

Chris,
There is no recall, The 4.6 is a sound and proven motor, the rear main is a one piece unit that requires tranny removal, I wish you better luck than me, also know this, as far as lemon laws are concerned oil leaks do NOT "significantly" reduce the market value of your vehical, so you will lose that battle and it lets ford off the hook from repairing it if they are so inclined

Old 10-02-2004, 02:31 AM
bdweeden
New User
Originally Posted by Droog
Okay, say you're buying a house, or getting a loan to send kids to college, or opening a business of you're own, or refinancing your home through some tough times, etc, etc, etc. It's stupid to ruin your own credit rating over one service departments incompetance. Take it to another dealer, you never know, they might be able to sort your problems out without too much more frustration.

I stated previously, I own my house, I have a platnuim card with a zero balance, one kid is in his junior year at Bradley university, the other is in tech school, I reallly dont need the credit, or the runaround from ford.
My idea of stupidity is paying 30k for something that is broke and they Dont have to repair because it doesnt "significantly" reduce the market value of the vehical. in other words they cant fix it without installing a new motor, unless it degrades to a quart a day before the 3/36k expires I am SOL.
We all know that oil leaks only degrade over time, I have never seen any get better in a wear area

Old 10-02-2004, 06:00 AM
hovy
Senior User
Old 10-02-2004, 06:08 AM
BostonFX
Freshman User
Why not grab a lawer and go for the lemon law? I mean a truck with only 5000 miles should not leak anything!
Good luck with everything, I hope you make out!

Quick Reply: The NEW F-150 Oil leak