1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

58 steering box options

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Bennyteee
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
58 steering box options

I have noticed that the “wander” in my steering has gotten really bad lately. I have already tried to adjust it out, but it has not helped as much as I would like. I decided I do not want power steering and would prefer to rebuild my steering box or buy a remanufactured one.

I have found a couple suppliers with remanufactured steering boxes for sale. One is from Sacramento Vintage Ford who wants $550 for it. Another is from Bob’s F-100’s which is listed at $265.

Has anyone bought from these companies, heard of their quality or have a better suggestion? My gut feeling is that the Sac. Vintage is the better box but in the world of auto parts I know that it is probably rebuilt by the exact same rebuilder, just with a higher markup.
Thanks,
Ben

Old 09-14-2004, 07:52 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some times the wander can be helped by adding caster wedges between the axle and the springs. I think I would ask them if they use all new parts or just go throu them. And also ask about what if their were a problem. New parts may be worth the money. Also check to make sure that the steering shaft has the hole for the horn wire. If your box has less than a inch of play it may be just the caster.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:03 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
www.classicperform.com had steering rebuild kits. From what I have heard, they make some reall high quality stuff. -4speed

Old 09-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Bennyteee
New User
I should also mention that all the rest of my front end is very tight and I have had my front end aligned within the past couple months. The alignment shop guy said all of my play was in the box and it is much more than 1".
Thanks for the responses .
Ben