Has anyone put a 1949-53 V-8 into a 1935 pickup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 04:30 AM
mnhammer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone put a 1949-53 V-8 into a 1935 pickup?

Has anyone put a 1949-53 V-8 into a 1935 pickup? That’s the setup that I have, and I have a question about the motor mounts. When I took the grill and radiator off, I realized that the mounts needed replaced. I’ve ordered new ones for a ’35, but the picture in the catalog looks a little different. It appears that mine might have an additional 2” spacer on top (which is the part that is degraded), although I have not removed them yet. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Is this something that would have needed to be done? I’m thinking that the engine blocks should be the same dimensions and it is using the ’35 water pumps (or at least I hope so, seeing how those are the rebuild kits that I ordered). If these have been added on to raise it, I have no idea what they used. Considering the condition they are in, I think I would be better off having metal spacers made if necessary. They have compressed and spread out leaving about an inch gap between the top of the brackets and where the nuts were tightened to. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-15-2004, 08:49 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Here's a couple of things to think about:

The truck waterpumps on the late series flathead include the motor mounts. The flange is designed to sit right on the donut cushion. The mounts on the 35 incorporate the coolant inlets and also sit on the donut cushion. I'm not familiar with an additional spacer, but I also don't have a 35 pickup to look at. All mount points I believe are 20" apart, so this part is similar for all flatheads.

The spacer issue may disappear 'cause here's where your biggest problem is. You can't use the 35 waterpumps with the late series flathead because your's mount differently on the heads. If you count the studs/bolts holding on the head you'll see they don't interchange. 21 vs. 24

You can probably do the swap, but I'd use everything from the 8BA. It isn't an exact swap and you'll have to make some minor mods as the 8BA's are larger/bulkier (most in width and height). Take a measurement from motor mount to back of the half bellhousing and see if they're the same. If you have oil pan troubles, you can get the one you need. There are several variations from front sump, mid-sump and rear sump. I think you'll also run into fan location issues depending on which 8BA you have. Using truck pumps means a wide pulley (cars used narrow pulley). Can't use car pumps cause they don't have the foot for the motor mount. Hope this helps you get started. If not, get the two engines out on the floor together and you'll see the differences.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:20 PM
mnhammer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The engine swap was all ready done some time prior to 1976, when the previous owner purchased it. I’m just replacing a bad water pump. I finally figured out that it does have the ’49 truck pumps, so luckily I was able to still cancel the order. Turns out NAPA still carries them for much less than the online sites that I was searching through.

As for the motor mounts, it looks like someone just did a bad conversion. I won’t know if it is a clearance problem until I install the new ones. But one thing I do know is that they used too much rubber. I noticed tonight that the motor mount bolts have bent over to the right, causing the engine to become off center. If I need to increase the clearance, I will make some spacers out of 2” round aluminum stock, which will give it the stability that it needs. Thanks again for your input.

Old 09-16-2004, 08:51 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Sorry, I didn't catch that the swap was in place............and it just dawned on me that the 48-51 pickups had a raised area on the corner crosspiece that is about 1 1/2 to 2" higher than the frame. The 52 has a corresponding ramp riveted on a flat crosspiece. I suspect that's what you're needing to make up.

For what it's worth, I've heard of guys using urethane cut to fit or even hockey pucks........ Aluminum would work great too!