1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Truck names

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 10:38 AM
eigenvector
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck names

Could anyone enlighten me here? What is the difference between the "Edge", "Splash", and the Ranger? Another vehicle, what the heck is up with the FX4 Level II? What's with the name, is Ford entering the video game industry or something? Do sales reps keep straight faces when they try to sell that truck?

Old 09-12-2004, 03:46 PM
lbokc
New User
Marketing, Marketing, Marketing...

Old 09-12-2004, 07:07 PM
eigenvector
Elder User
Yeah I can understand marketing, but FX4 level II?? Is there an FX3 level I or FX4 level 3 - or how about the ol' FX7 level 24?

Old 09-12-2004, 10:26 PM
98xlt4x4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For 2004, there is FX4 and FX4 level II.
FX4 adds some skidplates underneath, different gears, limited slip (offroad package). The FX4 level II adds Bilstien Shocks, a Torsen limited slip, more skidplates, a heavier (stronger) rear axle, alcoa wheels and 31x10.50 BFGoodRich A/T tires.
Edge is more of an appearance package with body colored bumpers and wheel trim moldings, vinyl floor inside, and usually no power options. The 4x2 Edge is also on the 4x4 suspension, and sits 4x4 height.
The 'Splash' model isn't made any more, but is was a sport type package with a stepside bed. And do sales rep keep a straight face? Maybe not, but it has nothing to do with the option packages... Does that answer your questions?

Old 09-12-2004, 11:22 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget the Edge Plus. A supercab, 4x2, but with power everything and 4.0.

Edges can be had with 4x4, and power everything, and 4.0. But I think, if I remember right, it all came in one package. 4.0, 4x4, power everything. Basically an Edge Plus, but in 4x4. At least in Canada anyway.

My Edge is a power nothing 3.0. I do have a rear slider though.

Old 09-13-2004, 07:47 AM
'04 4.0 XLT
Senior User
My XLT has a vinyl floor, 4.0 and power everything, except seats...

Old 09-13-2004, 11:36 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking

Must be hard to see over the dashboard without seats...

Sorry, couldn't resist... :-)

Old 09-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Waves
Elder User
One thing to mention is the FX4 Level II does not have a limited slip, it has a torsen wich is more comparable to trac-lock. It does not work like a limited slip, what id does is puts power to the tire of most resistance, in other words if you are in an off camber position, and one wheel comes off the ground, power will go to the wheel on the ground not the wheel in the air. A limited slip (the clutch type that most rangers have) the power would go to the wheel that was up in the air, the one with the least resistance. Also the torsen is composed of gears and not a clutch pack. It is a much, much better rear diff than the limited slip junk -

Old 09-13-2004, 02:29 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
Ahh geez, here we go again.

No, the Torsen is not different than a limited slip differential as far as HOW it works. The only difference is that the Torsen (Torque-Sensing) differential uses helical gears while the limited slip uses clutch packs. BOTH systems transfer some torque to the wheel that isn't spinning so that you can get out of sticky situations easier. So they are the same in function....its just that the Torsen is a bit stronger.

As far as the Edge package goes....basically it's a package for active people like myself. It deletes carpet and gives you water resistant seats, etc. so that if you are into outdoor activites you don't have to worry about ruining your interior with mud stains, etc. That's the basic difference that jumped out to me. Otherwise it's the same as the XLT.

Personally, I think the FX4 trucks should be set up like the Edges inside. It makes no sense to build an "off-road" model and then deck it out with carpet, nice black cloth seats, etc.

Old 09-13-2004, 02:45 PM
Waves
Elder User
No, the Torsen is not different than a limited slip differential as far as HOW it works. The only difference is that the Torsen (Torque-Sensing) differential uses helical gears while the limited slip uses clutch packs. BOTH systems transfer some torque to the wheel that isn't spinning so that you can get out of sticky situations easier. So they are the same in function....its just that the Torsen is a bit stronger.
Ok here we go again. I have to dissagree with you on this. Torsen works like track lock not posi track. There is a big difrence. One applies power to, or is more prone to apply power to the wheel of least resistance while the other applies power to the wheel of most resistance. With torsen, when you have wheel spin power transfers from that wheel to the wheel that is not spinning, this would be under moderate power, when you stand on it, torsen will apply power to both wheels evenly. Limitied slip does not work like that, it tends to apply power to the wheel of least resistance. As I stated in the post above, in an off camber situation, with a limited slip, if you were to have one rear wheel in the air and one rear wheel on the ground, you would not get power to the wheel on the ground, I know this from first hand experience. I also learned this in the process of doing a little home work before I had two rear diffs geared, and making a descision as to just have them re-geared, or re-gear and install a lock-right or track-lock system. You coulkd almost look at it as if a torsen works the oposite of a factory posi in the way it applies power to the ground.

Old 09-13-2004, 03:05 PM
Waves
Elder User
Wxboy - check out this site:

www.torsen.com, then go to General FAQ, and then click on the section that sais "How Does a Torsen Work" there is some very intresting technical information that will re-iterate what I posted, but in a little more technical manner. At least read the intro, how it works and then check out sections 2.2 and 2.5, might give you guys a better understanding on how a torsen works compared to all other types of diffs -

Old 09-13-2004, 07:20 PM
eigenvector
Elder User
Differences in trucks

Honestly I didn't expect to hear what I am "hearing" in this thread. When I originally posted the question it was more in that cynical sarcasm that I occasionally dip into when I'm feeling irritable.

I didn't realize that there was quite the difference between the FX4 level II and the Splash or Edge or just plain old Ranger. I just looked at the name and (wrongly) assumed that this was some marketing scheme gone horribly wrong. After all, who could take a truck seriously with a name like FX4 level II? I just doesn't sound professional and adult - more like something a 13 year old would think of. And unless I'm mistaken the only people buying these trucks would be above the age of 18 (unless of course you're 16 and your parents will spring 25+ grand for a new truck).

Torsen, learn something new everyday I guess.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:07 AM
mikemc
Elder User
Originally Posted by '04 4.0 XLT
My XLT has a vinyl floor, 4.0 and power everything, except seats...
Ah, you have the 'XLT Value' package, the best deal in a truck right now IMHO. Where else can you get a supercab 4x4 with the top engine for under 21 grand base MSRP? I like the vinyl floor, easier to keep clean and stain-free.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:38 AM
B C fx4 Level II
Senior User
I have a Fx4 Levell II and waves described exactly how my rear end reacted in a situation were I had one rear tire in the air over a big hole about three feet long, the tire in the air stopped turning and all the power went to the other wheels.
I thought my Fx4 Level II was a little better than average in off Road conditions. Now I Know why. Thanks waves.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Waves
Elder User
No prob BC, check out the torsen web site and there is another one, if you do a google search on torsen and pick the second website it gives yoou, it has some great info on how it works. I have a locker in my ranger, but one of my friends installed track lock in his Cherokee. I followed him through some hill climbs and it was really neat to see how his would transfer the power from wheel to wheel anytime one started to slip, it would go back and forth until he reached the top of the hills. Also we do alot of sand driving and it works very well in deep soft sand -