1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost my spare tire key

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 09:52 AM
BluesManF250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lost my spare tire key

I lost my spare tire key that goes on the end of the jack handle and slide through the hole in the bumper. I alos don't have the code in any of my paperwork. Can the code be obtained from the door or some other place on the truck? Will I have to cut the protective sleeve from the bottom, cut the wire to drop the tire, and replace the whole thing?

Last edited by BluesManF250; 09-11-2004 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-11-2004, 10:14 AM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
Originally Posted by BluesManF250
I lost my spare tire key that goes on the end of the jack handle and slide through the hole in the bumper. I alos don't have the code in any of my paperwork. Can the code be obtained from the door or some other place on the truck? Will I have to cut the protective sleeve from the bottom, cut the wire to drop the tire, and replace the whole thing?
Hey Bubba,

I know that electronic key codes, key cuts, and key size can all be obtained by using OASIS at your local dealer. I would imagen these are most likely a generic key. I highly doubt each vehicle has it's own key. Either way this cut and size should also be attatched in your computer file. Just head to the dealer and I'm sure they can get it for ya.

Best of Luck,
Corey

*Parts Changers*

Old 09-11-2004, 01:10 PM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RealMenPowerstroke!
Hey Bubba,

I know that electronic key codes, key cuts, and key size can all be obtained by using OASIS at your local dealer. I would imagen these are most likely a generic key. I highly doubt each vehicle has it's own key. Either way this cut and size should also be attatched in your computer file. Just head to the dealer and I'm sure they can get it for ya.
I'm pretty sure that each truck does nominally have its own key (though the pool of different shapes may not really be all that large.) I sure do hope Ford can supply it by knowing your VIN though, otherwise you're in a bad way. I think the little plastic pouch mine came in had a part number on it, if the original poster still has that in his glovebox, maybe that would help?

Duncan

Old 09-11-2004, 04:13 PM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
i lost mine too.. i was able to reach up there with vice grips and turn the thing down.. then i removed the lock.. it comes right out... and went to dealer and got new lock and key for like $40.. im keeping track of this key.. wasent too hard.. get the vice grips up over the tire..stretch.. you can do it.. i did.
JJ

Old 09-11-2004, 05:02 PM
jasonlasvegas
Junior User
my ford dealer had a master set of keys and they gave me the code. Mine #288 and ordered it from mcgard.com $15.00 there are 15 or 16 different keys

Old 09-13-2004, 01:39 AM
BluesManF250
Senior User
Thanks guys, I'll try the dealer(different one this time) again and hopefully get a new key. If not, I'll give the vise-grips a try!

Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 PM
truckerhauler
New User
I had the same problem. No key in the glove box for the spare tire hoist.
So I took a zip cutter and cut one side off of the (wing nut) that holds the tire up. Then I unbolted the hoist assembly and removed it. I then took it to my local machine shop and got them to reweld the "wing nut" and weld a brace across it. Now to solve the key problem I welded a 9/16" nut to the head of the key. Now you re-assemble the hoist back into the truck. To raise and lower the tire you just use an extension, a 9/16" socket and a ratchet.
Problem solved with about an hour of time.
any questions please e-mail me at: warrendslack@shaw.ca

Last edited by truckerhauler; 05-06-2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: spelling problems
Old 05-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Power Smoker
Senior User
It's not theft proof, but the '99 doesn't require a key. When I lost mine I went to a junk yard and got the one for the '99. That way I don't have a key to worry about.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:45 PM
kidoo
Elder User
Hi, I just lowered the thing today. The tire was not there so it was very easy. You just pull on the plactic cover, it pulls out quite easy, than you pop out the key with a screwdriver. To lower it, all you need is a 3/8 socket extension, just the tip of the extension. I use a speed handle cause I do not have the jack bar, neither the jack.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:11 PM
julesbluesky
New User
I have a 03 ranger and used my frinds Jack off his 2000 Mazda and the little key head came off the jack and is stuck in my spare lowere thingie Dealership was no help

PLEASE ADVISE! ! My coworker wants the head to his jack back ASAP and Im not made of money

julesbluesky

Old 04-05-2010, 08:13 PM
julesbluesky
New User
help get key off jack head out of my spare lower device!!!!!

Originally Posted by kidoo
Hi, I just lowered the thing today. The tire was not there so it was very easy. You just pull on the plactic cover, it pulls out quite easy, than you pop out the key with a screwdriver. To lower it, all you need is a 3/8 socket extension, just the tip of the extension. I use a speed handle cause I do not have the jack bar, neither the jack.

is this what I need to do to get it out?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:45 PM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by julesbluesky
is this what I need to do to get it out?
Yes.

If you twist on the tube while pulling out, it comes out quite easily.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:28 PM
julesbluesky
New User
Im on mcgard.com and cant tell which product that would be the little thingie thats stuck in there (that used to be on the jack) Sorry to be inept

Old 04-06-2010, 06:52 PM
julesbluesky
New User
never mind McGard They dont carry the 00 key Any other retailer suggestions?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:51 PM
kpmalone
Junior User
I would just take the key out.. I did.. If someone wants your spare tire, they are gonna get it.. We live in a world where if some one wants something bad enough they are gonna do anything to get it (includes tearing your stuff up).

Quick Reply: lost my spare tire key