1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went off roading now the steering wheel is off center?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 12:19 AM
JMAconcepts
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Went off roading now the steering wheel is off center?

HELP. I drove into a muddy river bed and the right front wheel fell into a sink hole. Now the steering wheel is verticle instead of horizontal. Its turned 1/4 turn to the left.

I did drive her down the road and the allignment is still perfect. It has a lift so I washed her off and checked for bends or what not. ALL looks well. No issues with tracking just now steering wheel is off.

What is the best way to asjust that? Is there a steering box adjustment or should I just adjust it from the steering rod? ITs a four by four with 10 lift. All components are near new so it drives assum.

NEED HELP on best way to get steering back to center. I did check to see if the nuckles on the steering links were stripped or showedd signs of moving... but no signs all looks perfect. I am assuming the steering arm is a little bent???? even tho is looks good. OR gear box even tho it feels great has some kind of asjustment that got shoved off with hitting the sink h0le. I was going only about 5mph when it happend into muddy river bed.

Appreciate all the help. I am thinking just adjust it from steering link bar? what do you guys suggest? Or should I try and adjust the steering box and how?

Old 09-11-2004, 12:52 AM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
Hmm. I probably have bad news for you....

... I did the exact thing a few years back in my old truck, a 94 crewcab with 35's. Anyways same thing, my front left fell into a hole, yanked the wheel, and sure enough later it was wayyyy off center. To make a long story short I come to find out not only did I bend the drag link, but I also had to replace the steering box. You probably ought to have your box checked... you don't need to risk your safety to save a few bucks...

good luck.

Old 09-11-2004, 09:23 AM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
first off for and easy fix of the steering wheel just loosen the clamp on the drag link and turn it untill your girl(inside truck) says your wheel straightens out..(thats all that adjustment if for)..BUT!!!

i did that same thing to my old jeep(13" or 35" tires).. and I just straightened the link......well within 500 miles i wore the front right Micky thompson Baja 35" tire down to about 10% tread..while all the rest still had the original 95% tread on them....sooo the story is the jeep drove straight as an arrow?..BUT when i took it to allingment shop it was way outta wack... i had to buy a new tire.........

If i was you id put on Xover steering first, then go have it all alligned.... but whether you get Xover or not.. youll still need allignment.
JJ

Old 09-13-2004, 10:58 AM
mattsf250
Elder User
the sector shaft may have twisted, and that means a new box.... but, you COULD have got REAL lucky, and the drag ling adjuster was not tight tight after the install....that could make it skip a few threads......as was said, reset the steering wheel using the drag link, hopefully you find the clamp bolts loose as hail......check the steering box tho, dont be lazy!

Old 09-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
First thing, get the truck to an alignment center and spend the few bucks to have the alignment checked.

The price is well worth avoiding the alternative which is chewing through a tire in nothing flat - even if the truck seems to drive OK.

The front end center should be able to advise quickly what particular part was pulled out of what - something was, that's for sure.