1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Still Clunking....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 04:08 AM
Thompy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still Clunking....

I've got a 2001 4.0 Litre 5spd 4x4 XLT Off Road Package Ranger... Shew that was a mouthfull. Anyway, I haven't been around in awhile and when I was here I had the same question(s) but haven't rid of the prob. The ol' ranger tends to clunk when shifting. Yes yes I know bad driveshaft lube the slip yoke or change the 3.5" to a aluminum 4.0" and change the tank shield but I have did all this except for the driveshaft replacement. Is there any kind of "better" grease I can use to get rid of this thing? ALSO, when pressing the clutch in it makes the same clunking type noise SOMETIMES not all the time. The noise isn't bothering me, I'm just afraid its gonna bust something up in the long run....

Old 09-09-2004, 08:38 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
generally the slip yoke thump occurs when accelerating from a dead stop or coming to a complete stop. ive never heard it occuring when shifting, but i could be wrong. the new grease that ford recommends for the slip yoke thump is Molykote lube. Rockledge will give you more info on it. your thump may be the tranny and not the driveshaft.