Biodiesel

Old 09-07-2004, 07:04 PM
snipercole
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biodiesel

I have had a break in my diesel trucks, couldnt afford one and went with a F350 V10. I am now fixing to get a 99 F250 powerstroke in the next few days. I was talking to my brother this weekend and he mentioned Biodiesel. I was wondering if anyone had any info on this. Such as what it is exactly, where it can be gotten, and what is needed to run it in a powerstoke?
Thanks
Gene Cole III

Old 09-07-2004, 07:15 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
This website is a good resource:

http://www.biodiesel.org/

Old 09-07-2004, 08:58 PM
allisonta
Junior User
Biodiesel is basiclly vegetable oil, refined of course,made from something like soybeans or peanuts. To run it in a PSD I think all you would have to do is drain your fuel system completelly and change the filter. Then bleed out your fuel system with the bio.
I don't know where you could get it, but in where I live there is a oil supply company that we can get it from. It costs a few more cents a gallon.
In Ventura county CA, the county gave rebates to all the fishing boats to convert to burning used cooking oil from fast food joints, when you go to the docks sometimes it smells like french fries.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:28 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Here in Iowa we have soy-biodiesel, made from soybeans of course. There are different blends of it, 2% up to 20% that are available. Highest I've run is 5%. I don't know about having to drain everything, I just fill my tank and go. There is concern with running a 100% biodiesel, the rubber (gaskets, o-rings) in the engine may not be the right material and the biodiesel can eat away at it. In later model vehicles it shouldn't be a problem, but something to watch out for.

Search this Thread