2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm install? read this first

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 05:24 AM
HawaiianStyle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm install? read this first

Hey fellow FTE members , just some FYI for anyone planning to install an aftermarket alarm system w/ remote start in your 2004 F150. I just had the system installed with the remote start feature and it is great. but one thing kinda grabbed me as strange. this system works off a transponder ($150 added cost) that is compatible to your Ford anti-theft system. when installing, your 2 keys need to be present for it to work. what happens is the keys have chips in them and in order for the remote start to work, one key has to be present. I was not told this and took it rather strange that the installer had returned one of my keys. NOT so fast buddy!
I told him I didn't like the fact that the key had to stay in the truck like that but he assured me that it was safe and if needed he would take it out but I wouldn't be able to remote start the truck. well I don't know about you but I like having 2 keys, one in my possession and the other with my wife in case of emergencies or something. If I had known about this I would've bought an extra key, programmed it myself and given him that one. After driving home and testing out the features (autopage/responder) I was deeply impressed but as I came in to give my review of it here, I decided to slide through the website once more. thats when I came accross this part# 555F Interface Module (PATS) for Ford vehicles. wait a minute here, went back to the truck and in the back seat was the empty box that cost me $150 with the word Universal Remote Start Interface part #555U. well either they didn't know about this or they wanted to charge me the extra $150 for something my truck didn't need. as you can see, if PATS was used there would be no need for your spare key to stay in the transponder. 555F recognizes and remembers your key code, stores it just for the remote start to activate. well I'm calling them back tomorrow to either get them to replace it with the correct system that cost $70 or flip the bill for a spare key. Buyers Beware!

Old 09-07-2004, 06:40 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
You got ripped in more than one way. The DEI PATS bypass modules are $30 on ebay all the time from reputable dealers (just bought one for my 04 STX). The 555U is the old unit. The new units all have the chip inside them so you don't have to use the key in the box anymore. I'd go back and demand my $150 bucks back and then buy one on ebay and plug it in yourself. It's a 5 minute operation and with the $120 you'll save you can buy me some mudflaps as a thank you!! (just kidding)

Old 09-07-2004, 07:28 AM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
If your vehicle is kept in a Garage I wouldn't have a remote start. Some guy here was watching TV, fell asleep and rolled over on his remote. They found him the next day. A neighbor thought it was odd the TV was on and car running in garage, and called police.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Cavedave
Freshman User
I bought the Python remote start alarm (DEI) in May from car toys, and they insisted I needed to bring my spare key so they can put it inside the module for remote start. Now I wished I knew about the new unit BIGGZIFF was talking about. I don't feel too comfortable knowing that I have a key floating around under my dash somewhere. However, the remote start function has been awesome.

About the garage thing and remote start, your vehicle will shut off automatically after so many minutes, usually around 15 min if your key is not in the ignition.......sooooooo, I'm not sure how many minutes it would take for carbon monoxide to fill a garage attached to house would kill you.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Cavedave....sell the keyed unit on ebay for $10 and buy the non-keyed unit. It's worth the piece of mind

Old 09-07-2004, 10:32 AM
lardman
Elder User
My friend had a remote start put in a vehicle when PATS first came out (I think it was a contour or taurus). The installers actually broke his key, took out the chip and fastened/glued/something it close to the unit that read the signal. He could only use the broken key to start the vehicle because something would get screwed up of he had 2 of the same signal being read. Sounds like they came a long way with this.

Old 09-07-2004, 10:55 AM
ITDave
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, which alarm?

Okay which alarm?

Forgive me for being lost on this one.

Just bought an 04 F150 Lariat 5.4 2.73

Dealer will be installing alarm w/remote start (Ford Part Supposedly)

What do I need to know before getting this installed?

What parts should be used?

Any issues with install or performance afterwards?

Should I get the Ford one installed? Is it decent?

I just didnt want any issues with aftermarket stuff, wife had a lot of problems with old one.

Thanks!

Dave

Old 09-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
As long as you buy name brand (AutoLoc, Stellar, DEI, etc) you won't have an issue other than an extra couple of hundred dollars in your pocket.

Old 09-07-2004, 01:52 PM
ITDave
Elder User
So the Ford one is not a good system? Do you know who actually makes it?
Thanks again,

Dave

Old 09-07-2004, 02:32 PM
GordoPanocho
Elder User
I had my remote start alarm installed by the dealership. No extra key was needed since this particular CodeAlarm was made to work with the PATS system ... or whatever. Anyway, it works great ... no problems! Oh, and it's under warranty and can be serviced by any Ford dealership in the country.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:34 PM
ITDave
Elder User
Thanks Gordo

Thanks Gordo,

So, no problems is good.... How is the alarm? Pretty feature-less?

Is the keychain a lot bigger and does it completely replace the other?

Thanks again,

Dave

Old 09-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ITDave
So the Ford one is not a good system? Do you know who actually makes it?
Thanks again,

Dave
I don't now about the Ford system. The others are lifetime warranty and there is nothing in them to fix. If the module goes bad, you get a new one. Other than wiring coming apart, I can't imagine what could go wrong with them.

Here's one on ebay..looks like the Ford system to me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7919607448

Old 09-07-2004, 03:45 PM
HawaiianStyle
Senior User
Originally Posted by Biggziff
You got ripped in more than one way. The DEI PATS bypass modules are $30 on ebay all the time from reputable dealers (just bought one for my 04 STX). The 555U is the old unit. The new units all have the chip inside them so you don't have to use the key in the box anymore. I'd go back and demand my $150 bucks back and then buy one on ebay and plug it in yourself. It's a 5 minute operation and with the $120 you'll save you can buy me some mudflaps as a thank you!! (just kidding)
Yes, I realized I got ripped after the fact but what can you say when you get a $400 system for $165 install included and the lifetime warranty to boot out here in Hawaii. Just spoke with them and asked for the reason of using the 555U and not the PATS they said; "We didn't know it existed for the ford vehicles yet so we used what we normally use" I told them the retail of this unit was $70 but can be gotten for $30 at various online companies.... what should WE do now? they said they will replace the unit with the proper one and give me store credit for the difference. No prob, that will bring down the cost on my Lidatek system and install so we are all happy again.

The guy did tell me he gave me a awesome discount because they were a new company and want to make everything right so as not to hurt their own business. I told him not to worry and I would send more business his way just for taking care of this matter. Does anyone have a price quote on Lidatek cost with install? let me know....Mahalo

Old 09-07-2004, 06:29 PM
GordoPanocho
Elder User
So, no problems is good.... How is the alarm? Pretty feature-less?
Is the keychain a lot bigger and does it completely replace the other?

Anyway, the remote is barely any bigger than the remote you already get with your truck. Yes, it completely replaces the other remotes. I now have four useable remotes (2+2). The new one has four buttons (lock, unlock, panic, and remote start). I can hit the panic real quick and get the truck to chirp five times ... gets louder if I hit again. I've used that feature to get a cat off of my hood ... and to scare some friends. It also has a shock feature wherein it'll honk once if you kick the tires, step on the step bars, etc. Even a strong vibration could make it honk. Break the glass or pry open a door or the hood and the alarm sounds, starter kill is activated, etc. As for the remote start, it works for quite a distance and can go through some walls, etc. I can start it from my desk at work and walk the 100 yards to my truck ... comes in real handy in the HOT summers here.

I got tint&alarm combination pricing from my local tint/alarm shop and told the dealer I'd let them do it if they could beat the price. They did, and it's now under warranty. This way, I can call Ford anytime of the day/night and have service, etc. on it should it start acting up. If an aftermarket alarm did that, you'd pretty much be SOL until they opened up in the morning. I'm not bashing the aftermarkets ... they generally make a much better product. But, for what I wanted/needed, the Ford version did the trick and at the right price.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=HawaiianStyle]Yes, I realized I got ripped after the fact but what can you say when you get a $400 system for $165 install included and the lifetime warranty to boot out here in Hawaii. Just spoke with them and asked for the reason of using the 555U and not the PATS they

Ah, well..for $165 I wouldn't complain!!

Quick Reply: Alarm install? read this first